• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, he's only done 2 games so far, but Undertale was easily one of the best soundtracks of 2015, if not the best.

I actually haven't even really played his games (I just started Undertale), but I am constantly blown away by how good they sound.

I just heard The Field of Hopes and Dreams, and now I have it on loop.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
You kinda answered your own question there. Needs a larger body of work but what he's done has been excellent.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
as long as he keeps making games, his music will become more and more prolific

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao op. Just title the thread "let's discuss his music" and you avoid the discussion over the title and focus on his music.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I would want to see a completely different game to hire him to see how he goes.

Liking or not, both of his games he had all the time he wanted to compose. I want to see how he goes with a deadline

ThatGuyfromMars

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
His music is fantastic, but like you said, only one released game, and a demo of a follow-up. When he does more and more projects over the years, that's when we'll find out if he is one of the greatest composers.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Undertale was one of the greatest OSTs of the generation and then he crushed that with Deltarune's handful of songs. Definitely.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Any composer with a song titled The Baby is You as part of his body of works should certainly be considered an all-time great.

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For me, he already is. The soundtracks to both Undertale and Deltarune feature a lot of tracks and I consider them both among the greatest of all time.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
He's impressive, certainly. I wouldn't put him up there with David Wise, but Undertale does have some damn good music. Another Medium is low-key the greatest track in that game.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Give him a few more games until we praise him as a God as a whole industry.

To us, die-hard fans, let us just praise our doggo God and his holy music until we have more evidence to share the faith and belief of his hit tunes.

Deleted member 227

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's okay, but it depends on where on the list you make the cutoff. Nobuo Uematsu, Yoko Shimomura, Yasunori Mitsuda, Takeharu Ishimoto and Yugo Kanno are the supremes.

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Undertale is a fantastic experience. Yes, it is a game, but it almost transcends that for me (I know, corny and very highly subjective). But it really is something special. I am not gonna say greatest composer - or even up there with the greats. He's only done a few soundtracks, but what he has done is amazing, for sure.

Oct 25, 2017
No? At least not until he builds a great career around it. His job in Undertale was great, but that's just one game. Not nearly enough to enter the hall of fame if videogame composers.

Apr 16, 2018
I like what I've heard of YIIK: A Post-modern RPG's soundtrack and he worked on that, so...

Still got a long way to go before he's considered one of the all time greats.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Sorry, but your discography must be thiiiiiiis tall to get on the "greatest composers" ride.

lambdaupsilon

Apr 17, 2018
"two"

(this is the only significantly toby song in that game, yes, but)

also listen to his homestuck stuff @everyone
not alternia though, it's really rough.
listen to the other homestuck music while you're at it

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
i think he could have it in him, yeah

he definitely needs more work but half the nerds here on about "he's not (x)" usually only reference one or two games by their fave

it's Yasunori Mitsuda and i'll fight anyone who says otherwise

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Toby Fox's handful of soundtracks versus Koji Kondo's and Nobuo Uematsu's long resume of soundtracks to their name? Not a chance at the moment.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
He's no Keiichi Okabe but Undertale has some jams.

Deleted member 5334

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't get me wrong, Toby's music is fantastic. But for personal preferences... probably Masashi Hamauzu and Kenji Ito I would say really hit the spots for me.

Some personal favorites:

SaGa Frontier II (Masashi Hamauzu) - Präludium

Children of Mana (Kenji Ito) - Breath of Mana ~ For the Glory ~

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
he makes good music but i can count the amount of project he has worked on with both my hands, he lacks the sheer amount of music that other composers have