• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
clown-sweet-tooth-twisted-metal-hd-1080P-wallpaper.jpg

Twisted Metal was, during the PSX and PS2 generations, considered one of PlayStation's premier first party franchises. The games were massively successful due to their simple but pretty fun premise. It's basically Mario Kart Battle Mode, except you drive Mad Max cars and you have an insane metal soundtrack.

The latest entry in the franchise, a reboot simply titled 'Twisted Metal' for the PS3, was the only entry on the console and will have come out 7 years ago now. The PS4 is nearing the end of it's lifecycle and the franchise that was once one of the most synonymous with Playstation will have skipped a console generation.

The PS3 entry was received rather well, with critics praising the online experience. However, the game sold...not great, which is probably what's holding the game from getting a newer entry. That and series creator David Jaffe, who is also the creator of God of War, is no longer with Sony.

With all of that said, do you see the series returning?

Oct 29, 2017
There are very few series that i think are dead for good....but i dont know if we'll see another TM any time soon which is a total shame IMO

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Twisted Metal lacks appeal and doesn't have the nostalgia-fuel to give it another go.

Oct 28, 2017
I think a modern remake of 2 with improved controls and physics would be cool, especially with online play. Plus it wasn't a huge game content-wise so I could see it making a good PSN release.

That said, I think the series is on ice for the foreseeable future. But if fucking MediEvil can get a remake, Twisted Metal is far from impossible.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
I think it could return, especially if it were just a graphics showcase for PS5. Make driving feel as smooth as the driving in Rocket League. Bring back the cool custom endings for each character. Have huge destructible environments.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
I dunno, can they give Sweet Tooth's van a beard and give him a smaller van that accompanies him on his adventures?

MadeULook

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Washington State
Seeing as it is getting a TV show I don't think Sony is done with the series quite yet. I can definitely see Sony giving us another game if it does well.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
I hope not. David Jaffe would still be involved and that's just garbage.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
A complete reboot at this stage. Car combat in general isn't very popular these days.

Oct 27, 2017
It's probably dead, though Sony still seems to kind of keep Sweet Tooth as an occasional mascot which is odd.

I want a new crack at Vigilante 8 instead. That game was fucking awesome, way better personality and style.

Twisted Metal was always maximum edge to me.

I dunno, can they give Sweet Tooth's van a beard and give him a smaller van that accompanies him on his adventures?

Lmao

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
It's dead. The studio completely fucked up the online for tmps3, Jaffe tried to salvage it but he was basically alone. Sony I think got some blame too from what I remember reading back in the day.

Just port tm black:online + ps1 classics and that's good enough.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
It's probably dead. Sony doesn't care much for multiplayer games and has car-combat ever been popular? Felt always super-niche to me.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Twisted Metal: Black was so good that the series never really needed to go on after it.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure there is a "capcom test" remaster in the pipeline.

breadtruck

Oct 27, 2017
Critics praised the reboot's mp? I remember it being super aggravating. Enough so that I gave up on a game I really wanted to love. Just couldnt bring myself to do it. Not fun.

Deleted member 3082

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah a remake of 2 would revive interest.

Came here to post this. The first is a little too generic / early in the generation for my tastes and everything (except maybe Black) starting with the third felt clunkier (I believe they were trying for more realistic physics / controls). But TM2 was the sweet-spot, a perfect mix of crazy comic book-style art/design, wacky characters (A guy imprisoned between two wheels! Stoners in a monster struck! Cyborg daughters in dune buggies! Cops! In. Spaaaaaaace!) arcade-style controls, fun levels with interesting mechanics.

Oct 31, 2017
Twisted Metal PS3, if it would have had a solid, robust online system/framework, could have been it. It, like most of Sony's other multiplayer games of that period, was a great game that didn't have a strong multiplayer framework supporting it.

I think a free to play modern Twisted Metal could work, think like Apex but with TM characters and vehicles.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Big TM fan here. I hope and I'm sure that it will return. The question is when.

Fahdi

Jun 5, 2018
TM PS3 was one of the worst games I've ever played.

Only TM2 and TM:Black are worthy of carrying the TM name. God were TM3, 4 and Small Brawl lame. The PSP games were good too.

Septimus

Oct 27, 2017
Open level vehicle combat is a genre that's lacking for sure. Would love to see it return.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
A remake of 2 would be great. I spent so much time with that game when I was a kid.

Recently I bought a PS Classic and though I had read the game list many times since all titles were announced, I glossed over the fact that it was the first Twisted Metal and not the second. I assumed it would be as good, or at least similar to 2. I got my ten year old to come in and told her 'Wait until you try this out.' Booted up multiplayer and barely lasted a full match before we turned it off. Thank god Super Puzzle Fighter was on there...
Anyway, we all know that they dropped the ball with the PS Classic, but yeah: They really should have had TM2 on there instead of the original.

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
Make it open world. The characters can get in and out of vehicle. You are welcome SONY.

Oct 27, 2017
Jaffe doesn't even think it's capable of a return. He acknowledges that it's a game past its time and was pretty niche to begin with

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
I don't think it should ever come back imo. What made the series special aside from the gameplay was how 90's it was. Maybe some kind of crazy megamix remake with a tongue-in-cheek 90's spin but otherwise I just don't think you can go home again.

Electricb7

Oct 27, 2017
I remember trying the ps3 demo or beta and the netcode was so bad I never got into a game. That was an instant turnoff.

boomroasted

Oct 25, 2017
I think a modern remake of 2 with improved controls and physics would be cool, especially with online play. Plus it wasn't a huge game content-wise so I could see it making a good PSN release.

I have always hoped something like this would happen, although I think the physics don't really need much updating. Honestly I'd be fine with everything about the game being the same except the graphics and adding online play.

TM2 is easily the best in the series and one of my favorite games of all time.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I think it'll definitely return, maybe in 5 years, maybe in 15. But it will eventually.

Its name is still known enough to warrant a surprise return or remake. It's not like we're talking about Roadkill.

Kid Heart

Oct 25, 2017
I could easily see an HD remake of 2 being made, or an online only game for like $20 or something. The series is unique enough that I think it would comeback in some capacity sooner or later.

I thought one of the biggest reasons the PS3 game didn't do too well was because the net code was lacking and got in the way of multiplayer. I think it could have done better otherwise.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
I dont see the appeal to be honest.
"Imagine an fps battle royal game but youre stuck in your vehicle."
"Mario Kart but without the boring racing portion"

Sep 29, 2019
Don't think it will come back. There is nostalgia demand, but i think it would be kinda too niche nowadays? I don't think there would be public, neither a way to make a new Twisted Metal game worth all the reviving process.

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I refuse to give up on Twisted Metal. It will be back one day, and it'll be amazing. The PS3 version was great, but having so much of the game tied to online matches only killed it. It was still a Ton of fun though. The races have got to go though.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
I was considering adding Twisted Metal 2 to my hacked PS Classic...but nah dude, it's just too dated. Any reboot would have to drastically alter the entire premise to make it palatable for modern audiences. It's a game for the 90s.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
I LOVE Twisted Metal but didn't play the reboot because it didn't have individual drivers with lore and stuff. That single player content in the others was a bigger deal than they thought, IMO.