Status
Not open for further replies.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
Mostly inspired by the talented Golden Sun artist Hiroshi Kajiyama passing away a couple of days ago (rest his soul): http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/07/golden_sun_and_shining_force_illustrator_passes_away

How likely do you think it is that we'll see a new game in the Golden Sun series? Or perhaps a reboot? Or will these gems remain part of Nintendo's library that they continue to sit on and do nothing with (like StarTropics, Eternal Darkness etc.).

It's always difficult to anticipate what Nintendo will do next, but I'm curious what everyone here thinks. Golden Sun was such an excellent series and that itch has never been quite scratched for me since.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Nope. The 2010 Golden Sun game pretty much bombed the series, and that was 8 years ago now.

Camelot will probably be making Mario Golf for Switch next, so I don't see Golden Sun returning. Mario games sell no matter what so it's an obvious choice.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Camelot is big enough to handle a HD JRPG and its ultimately their series. So no I don't think we will see another.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
just remake 1 and 2 as one game

putting in that password is a pain in my ass hole

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Isaac will also likely never get into Smash for this reason, Sakurai even removed his Assist Trophy from the Wii-U game because of the rights.

Oleander

Oct 25, 2017
It's been a hope of mine that Nintendo will do a remake combining Golden Sun and Golden Sun: The Lost Age into one game, as they felt they were intended to be.

Nintendo quite frequently pulls seemingly dormant series out of retirement, as they also did with Dark Dawn. Whether Nintendo recreates the earlier games or launches a new one, I'd be very excited to see how these games could be reinvented for the Switch.

R_thanatos

Oct 27, 2017
I think we can try another golden sun before declaring that it is dead .
Out of 3 games , only 1 was not as good as the others . it's nothing that can't be fixed.

It's not going to happen , since rpgs cost too much money for companies to take risks and that's why nintendo should try again.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo has Monolith for their RPGs now, so I don't think it'll happen. Golden Sun also has the issue of a decreasing sales trend, which is likely why a third game took so long in the first place.

SuperBlank

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Pretty unfair that one subpar title was enough to sink a series that up until that point had only consisted of million+ sellers.

But these days I don't know if Camelot is equipped to make a good game RPG.

Remaking the first two if Nintendo wanted to test that waters seems at least within the realm of the possible... but basically orbiting the edge. Not holding my breath.

Let's hope for Isaac in Smash and the corresponding clamouring for a new title that happens with every series that gets included.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it could eventually happen. It's a pretty unique IP and they created a cool world and lore for the games. I'm not sure Camelot will work on it again though.

Ekid

Dec 21, 2017
I doubt Camelot has the staff to release a Rpg on Switch. They have been only releasing mediocre Mario sport games for a while now.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo has Monolith for their RPGs now, so I don't think it'll happen. Golden Sun also has the issue of a decreasing sales trend, which is likely why a third game took so long in the first place.

Camelot barely released anything in the five years prior to Dark dawn. I honestly think they started development soon after Mario power tennis GBA, and then it took them nigh on 5 years (they made a wii golf game for capcom in the interim too). I don't know why what happened to their output those 5 years did, but it utterly collapsed from about 7 titles the prior 5 year period (2001-2005) to 2 new games and a low effort port in 2006-2010, and meaning they never had time to make a DS tennis or golf game.

For a switch golden sun to happen, it would either need to follow Octopath travellers lead (and I'm not convinced Nintendo would actually let them go this path, or that they'd be capable anymore), or be given to a another studio to develop, because camelot don't have the manpower to do a proper HD rpg. Especially not after Mario Tennis Aces ended up so barebones. It doesn't even have a Ring shot mode, for crying out loud.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I really hope so. Dark Dawn wasn't all that bad, just not as good as the first two. I really want to see a sequel to it that lets us see how the rest of Weyard changed after The Lost Age.

A remake of the GBA games would be fine too though.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
I liked Dark Dawn more than The Lost Age if only because the latter had real bad pacing and meandering issues. Spending like 10 hours on that freaking Trident part hunt to finally go to a place you were hyped to go to at the end of GS and hyped to go to at the beginning of TLA really sucked!

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I doubt it. Camelot don't have a staff for a game like Golden Sun to be made for this gen. They'll be doing Mario Tennis and Golf like they've been doing since the 2010s

Does Nintendo not have the rights to Golden Sun?

Nintendo have the copyright of the franchise along Camelot just like many of their franchises made externally but they have more percentage as well.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I liked Dark Dawn more than The Lost Age if only because the latter had real bad pacing and meandering issues. Spending like 10 hours on that freaking Trident part hunt to finally go to a place you were hyped to go to at the end of GS and hyped to go to at the beginning of TLA really sucked!
Dark Dawn's own pacing and difficulty (or lack thereof) issues as well as it's completely inane dialogue is why I rank it my least favorite of the series, personally. Shame, because outside of those things, I actually like the game for what it is.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Dawn's own pacing and difficulty (or lack thereof) issues as well as it's completely inane dialogue

The only good thing to come out of that horrendous dialogue
comic264.png

Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
To be honest. I'm kinda hoping we can see Nintendo reach a new height with RPGS on the Switch.

So far we got
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Octopath Traveller
Pokémon Let's Go
Pokémon Gen 8

I'm hoping honestly for a remake of Earthbound or a Mother 3 remake to be released in the West.

Golden Sun is interesting since Mario Tennis just finished. It's either that or Mario Golf probably.

SuperBlank

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
If nothing else it'll be interesting to see what Camelot does after the inevitable golf game considering only having one system to support will give them some time before the Switch's successor needs its Mario sports.

Tito

Oct 28, 2017
Isaac will also likely never get into Smash for this reason, Sakurai even removed his Assist Trophy from the Wii-U game because of the rights.
Why would you want Isaac there? He is not even the hero of the series, that's Felix.

Would be amazing if they did another game, but I would like they scrap all the existing characters, the story of Felix is already complete.

ED Cantu

Oct 28, 2017
A new Golden Sun Game would be a dream come true for me but I don't see it happening, or at least not for a long time.
And it's a damn shame because the world and lore of this series was really good, also the combat system was deep enough and the dungeons were really well done with good puzzles similar to the ones you could find in a Zelda game.

The worst thing is that Dark Dawn didn't just kill the series but it also
ended with a freaking cliffhanger, and we'll never know what happened.

My dream situation for Golden Sun would be that Nintendo would take some members or a team from Monolith and just some key individuals from Camelot and ask them to make a new game or to reboot the series, but yeah, that's not going to happen, Xenoblade is Nintendo's rpg series now so there is no reason for them to revive GS. :(

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Mario Tennis Aces is a good game though. Light on content but gameplay wise it's excellent.

I'm well aware the basic mechanics were excellent from the demo.

That's not worth much when they have barely any content to use them on though. I couldn't believe how limited the online sounds and that there wasn't even a ring mode in the full release.

Status
Not open for further replies.