Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
There's tons of pushback to wearing masks even now, so I doubt it'll ever be encouraged, but I imagine (can't say), it was likely seen as something more deviant before.

Going forward, into next year and so on, will you actively be wearing a mask if you feel under the weather?
Many Asian countries seemed to encourage the use of masks pre-pandemic, so I imagine things will improve there, but what about the rest of the world?

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Over two million people died, of course it will be acceptable.

I will be wearing masks for the foreseeable future, even after I am vaccinated. Since it will be some time before EVERYONE is vaccinated, and being vaccinated does not prevent you from being a carrier.

Woolley

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It'll be more normal in major cities but I don't see most people continuing to do it after the pandemic.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
I hope so. The flu won't kill me but I'd rather not get the flu so I'll probably be keeping a mask in my car for the foreseeable future. I expect there to be a lot of bullying of people who choose to wear masks though, at least in the US.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Even after I get vaccinated (Whenever that is) I will be wearing masks for a good while yet.

sialnez

Oct 27, 2017
So much less trouble with colds and the flu (of course, less time in the office is another factor)... so if you wanna take my masks after this, come and fight me.
Edit:

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Nobody is going to stop you, and you'll get less weird looks than before, but it definitely won't be commonplace like it is now.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
People will get side eyed, mocked and called pussies/sheep/communists if they are wearing masks in 2022 here.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Would be nice to see, but people won't. Well, smart and considerate people might, but there will be a time when it's seen as "weird" again, I'm sure.

I'm talking about when this is ACTUALLY all over, of course.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Over two million people died, of course it will be acceptable.

I will be wearing masks for the foreseeable future, even after I am vaccinated. Since it will be some time before EVERYONE is vaccinated, and being vaccinated does not prevent you from being a carrier.
Careful with that conclusion. Research is still being performed on that matter and the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines are looking like they're effective in reducing spread as well.

Sep 7, 2020
As a nurse, I hope it stays socially acceptable to wear masks while on the job. I've heard stories of nurses being forced to take their masks off by their employer because it looks bad to patients..

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Not universally acceptable but I don't give a fuck what others think, I'm probably gonna normalize mask usage for myself.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
I already wore masks when I myself was sick (or allergies honestly, so I am not coughing all over the place) pre-pandemic, in the office, on a plane, etc. I wore masks at conventions a lot as well. And I noticed other people doing that too. No big deal.

Will keep doing that. And I feel other people will as well, and it will be fine.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As a nurse, I hope it stays socially acceptable to wear masks while on the job. I've heard stories of nurses being forced to take their masks off by their employer because it looks bad to patients..
This makes zero sense to me. Like, a nurse wearing a mask sounds like the most logical thing to see. I don't doubt what you say though. >_>

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to think so, but no, it's highly unlikely. Maybe some considerate individuals will wear masks when suffering from a viral illness so as to reduce transmission to others, but such people will be few and far between.

KamenSenshi

Nov 27, 2017
Compared to never happening before, sure people will wear one. Being a widespread accepted thing that people do in America, ha ha no.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Careful with that conclusion. Research is still being performed on that matter and the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines are looking like they're effective in reducing spread as well.

Of course any vaccine will be effective in reducing the spread. But nobody knows just how effective right now. And I don't think any vaccine studies have shown that they 100% prevent you from being a carrier, and we aren't all being vaccinated at the same time or receive the same vaccines. So I will err on the side of caution as advised by some in the field:

A recent preliminary study from Oxford University, codeveloper of the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine (approved for emergency use in the U.K.), found that it cut the risk of transmission by about two-thirds. But because more data is necessary, it's a good idea to wear a mask when you're near unvaccinated people "in case a slight risk of transmission remains," says Gandhi.

Source: https://www.aarp.org/health/conditions-treatments/info-2021/hugging-after-covid-vaccine.html
Some other sources:
www.ibtimes.com

Why You Can Still Get COVID-19 After Vaccination

Doctors and health experts said no vaccine is "100% effective."
www.bbc.com

Can you still transmit Covid-19 after vaccination?

There's no evidence that any of the current Covid-19 vaccines can completely stop people from being infected – and this has implications for our prospects of achieving herd immunity.

I would be less careful if I decide not to wear a mask the moment I am fully vaccinated. Are you warning those posters as well?

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
OP , I think you are asking if people will give you shit for wearing one out in public?

I don't think in the big cities. I'd just tell them to fuck off if somebody was asking me to remove it for some stupid reason, lol. I bet the MAGA chuds will be be all weird about it though, like you a leper and and weirdo and unamerican, hah.

I've always be appreciative of people wearing masks when they are sick, a bit of common courtesy and respect for your fellow man. Don't cough or sneeze on me bro!

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
I doubt it'll be very common, but at the least I hope it's acceptable and you don't get side-eyed.

Even without being sick I could see myself wearing them in winter just to cover up some more skin.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
In America? I think in urban/suburban areas it will probably be fine in the sense that people probably will mind their own business, but if you're in rural/red states, best of luck to you.

I usually catch like 5+ colds a year and I literally have not been sick at all since quarantine began, so I'm probably still going to wear one on public transportation for my commute at the very least. Also they're pretty comfy for face warmth in the winter too.

Sep 7, 2020
This makes zero sense to me. Like, a nurse wearing a mask sounds like the most logical thing to see. I don't doubt what you say though. >_>

For sure, especially since most people that are hospitalized are usually older and have comorbidities.. they are the ones that need the most protecting from staff members that go door to door visiting other sick and infected folks. This is why Contracting an illness WHILE in the hospital is way more common than it should be

Regardless, hospitals administrators care very little and are more concerned with staff members that wear masks because they are forced to work while being sick to avoid being reprimanded. Quite sad. Hopefully this will change now.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
It basically killed flu season.

I hope so. I loved that when visiting Asia. But it's not going be a thing in Red States at all. Too politicized by morons.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Yes but largely in cities and the coasts. I'd say annually each year masks will become more common around flu season for about 10 years, slowly getting less and less common. And then by 2118 nobody will remember them and there will be another global pandemic.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
It basically killed flu season.

I hope so. I loved that when visiting Asia. But it's not going be a thing in Red States at all. Too politicized by morons.

Along with lack of travel for flu season too, which was a big factor. Southern hemisphere flu season generally begins around April and May, and it was a very mild fly season partly because of masks (although mask adoption wasn't really ubiquitous until a bit later), and lack of travel carrying the northern flu strains down south and vice versa in the winter.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
Hmmm, I'm not sure.

Out and about in a big city ? Yeah probably.

In an office or work environment? Nah, I doubt it.

Mirk

Oct 25, 2017
Even if it's not I am going to always wear one now I haven't been sick in what seems like forever.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
No. As soon as this pandemic is over I'd be happy to never have to wear one again in my life

Autumn

Avenger
Apr 1, 2018
In 1 or 2 years yes.

But after I think people will make fun of you or give you a glance.

NekoNeko

Coward
Oct 26, 2017
No. As soon as it's "over" people will think you are a lunatic for wearing one.

People treat it like the worst thing in the world so nobody will do it if you don't have to.

Oct 25, 2017
Hull, England
The funny thing is that ever since covid became a thing beginning of last year I've never felt better health wise which I guess is a result of mask wearing and social distancing, not even had mild cold let alone the flu.

I will continue to wear masks on public transport and other crowded places.