• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
GLoUrNoWAAA2IZj.jpg

On Sunday, Shatner posted an image of the cover, featuring a digital representation of him surrounded by children of diverse ethnicities, elephants and birds in a jungle setting, as well as a link to order a CD or vinyl of the album on Amazon.

"Didn't actors and writers just strike against Ai?" replied one X user, referencing the 2023 SAG-AFTRA and Writers Guild of America strikes in Hollywood. "Artists are humans too who like their craft and don't want Ai taking over."

How did Shatner even approve this abomination? I know he's in his 90s, but he seems very lucid. This looks horrible.

View: https://x.com/WilliamShatner/status/1782216252808745224

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
why is that ai art giving 'black grandpa' vibes for william fucking shatner

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Even aside from the usual "fuck AI" and "fuck Shatner" stances... What the fuck even is that image? Like, just conceptually. That is the corniest old white guy shit I could imagine.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
That's just awful. We should keep training AI until it has feelings and can feel shame at creating that.

Reminds of the Jehovah Witness magazine art lol. My mom would get them so they wouldn't bother her growing up.

Wow so true. I wonder if they got their hands into AI art yet.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
How did Shatner even approve this abomination? I know he's in his 90s, but he seems very lucid. This looks horrible.
I highly doubt Shatner meaningfully cares or is discerning enough to be critical of a picture like this. More than likely whatever artist his distributor or whatever contracted gave him this and he's like "oh look, it's a picture of me."

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
You know. That art work is so over the top in its baffling jackassery, I kind of have to love it. We should allow AI when its used for absurdly jackass purposes like this.

This is the kind of insane art only those right wing lunatic artists would make, so this is better than paying them to do it.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Nightmare elephants and people staring right at you like they're hungry for your soul...
is that an insect on the elephants head for some reason?

Oct 25, 2017
I've heard the man sing. I've read the books he writes with a ghost that's basically NARC by Midway. I welcome his collaborations with artificial intelligence, or at least iterative outside influence.

Noog

â–˛ Legend â–˛
May 1, 2018
It's taken me a while to articulate why I hate AI art, but I think part of it is because it's doing something that humans actually enjoy.

Humans like creating art. Some small artist would be thrilled to make a William Shatner album cover.

AI, in its current form, should be doing menial tasks that humans typically do, to give us more time to do things that we actually want to do.

AI should be sorting through our bank accounts to assemble everything for tax season. Not creating art.

Not to mention, AI art always looks like shit.

Mister Ursine

Sep 10, 2023
Desperately trying to ignore the elephants in the room

Hasn't his entire social media presence been controlled by his weirdo assistants for years? Them being "AI guys" isn't surprising. Shatner isn't making prompts. I doubt he cares beyond it not costing them extra money

Autumn

Avenger
Apr 1, 2018
I doubt the very few people who would buy the book care.

The backlash might even gain the publisher some sales.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Why would you be satisfied with such garbage artwork. I mean even among AI garbage this is garbage

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
Dude is 93. If this is an independent thing he is doing on his own accord I can't get too upset. But if he has folks making money off this, yeah this shit is bad.

Wonky Mump

Oct 30, 2017
Came in expecting something bad, but wasn't prepared for that.

There were some choices made here... the wrong ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.