• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
AI art Shatner's face is fucking killing me. Doesn't make the use of AI tools any better, but I haven't laughed at anything else recently as much as I have with this.

Vomiaouaf

Oct 27, 2017
I'm always curious to know the outrageously offensive prompts that are used to generate this garbage. One of my favorite ones I got to witness from a music label's internal Midjourney: "skinny black guy poor wearing rap bling gold teeth disgusting hobo dirty clothes". And I took pause to admire the baffling lack of self control to shit that kind of word salad on a shared corporate account. I can only imagine it's a similar scenario right here given how proud they are.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Dude is 93. If this is an independent thing he is doing on his own accord I can't get too upset. But if he has folks making money off this, yeah this shit is bad.
I think the issue is that Shatner could easily afford a commission by a working artist/illustrator.

It's not some hobby ebook by some noname.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Asshole could have at least paid someone to make such a shit tier picture. Damn that is so bad wtf.

SpoonSpatula

Oct 27, 2017
That looks terrible.

BUT, for what it's worth, it's been reported on in the past that his social media accounts are run by his media/PR team. (The most recent mention of it was by Brent Spiner, on the Inside Of You podcast). That might also explain why they're being so petty/defensive about the backlash. I doubt Shatner himself even knows about it.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
GLoUrNoWAAA2IZj.jpg

william-shatner-shocked.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Shatner's twitter is claiming that the image is not AI because he checked with his record company who provided the image and they told him that it was made by a real artist who is getting paid very well for it.
(it's very clearly an AI generated imagine with Shatner's head very poorly photoshopped on top of the main subject)

I don't expect a man in his 90s to be good at sniffing out AI, I just hope someone on his side makes sure he isn't getting billed for this generously compensated "artwork." Because it seems like he's getting lied to.
(also as already mentioned, it does not seem to be shatner actually at the helm of his twitter account, but someone on his behalf per prior comments)

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Out of touch, rich asshole who doesn't want to pay an artist, or elderly man being taken for a ride by a production company? I'd feel bad laughing if it's the latter. Someone might well have taken Shatner's money to contract an artist and come back withā€¦ this.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
AI finally learned how to copy crudely photoshopping a different head on.

They must have just added Takers to the dataset.

06600-takers-poster.jpg

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
As if it being ai wasn't bad enough, they didn't even try to get a better one?šŸ˜†

a916

Oct 25, 2017
i guess if he doesn't oppose i'm going to go make a racist william shatner rap album.... whaaat, no copyrights were violated

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I'm losing it at that little bug on the left elephant's head that is also apparently listening to Shatner take everyone's food orders.

Gpsych

May 20, 2019
Honestly, while the AI thing is problematic, the actual content isā€¦what the fuck? It's basically everything bad in one convenient image. Like he's a a great white savior (which autocorrect appropriately changed to "white shit" for some reason when I first typed it!") but also some sort of cultish messianic figure with Trump vibes? It's all bad.

SoneaB

Oct 18, 2020
UK
Did AI pick the piss yellow vinyl too?
AI art has eaten up so much of my bread and butter work over the last year that I'm somewhat biased but this is just creepy regardless of where it was spawned.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Proportions are shit. Composition is shit. Color is shit. Lighting is random. Faces don't fit.

Checks out.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all give too many fucks. Shattner is a 93 year old dude going for a quick cash grab before the man kicks the bucket. He isn't making art. The record cover is reflective of the crash grab this album/product is.

Status
Not open for further replies.