• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.gamekult.com/actualite/windjammers-2-en-approche-chez-dotemu-3050800267.html

It just leaked through a report from the CNC, DotEmu (those behind the recent PS4/Vita port of the first game) seems to have been granted 75k€ to realize Windjammers 2. It has since been removed from the list but here's a screencap :
Windjammers2_n-c_Div_001.jpg

It will probably not come for a while and could have a different name but it should at least confirm that it's in pre-production.

Deleted member 13550

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow thats awesome. I'll support this Disc game genre for sure. Crazy that we might live in a world with a Windjammers 2.

Karnova

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That's cool and all but am I being cynical for thinking this sequel will just be a cheap cash grab in the name of meme bucks? Wind Jammers is a sweet arcade game but come on no one would be discussing it if it weren't for Giant Bomb waxing nostalgic praise onto it.

Hopefully it's a full blown labor of love like the upcoming Toejam and Earl sequel and not something made on brand name alone like the newest Bubsy.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's cool and all but am I being cynical for thinking this sequel will just be a cheap cash grab in the name of meme bucks? Wind Jammers is a sweet arcade game but come on no one would be discussing it if it weren't for Giant Bomb waxing nostalgic praise onto it.

Hopefully it's a full blown labor of love like the upcoming Toejam and Earl sequel and not something made on brand name alone like the newest Bubsy.

I have no idea what you mean. Windjammers is pretty popular outside of english-speaking countries and nobody is watching Giant Bomb there.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017

the whole reason why the game got a rerelease was because theres a windjammers scene in france not because of giantbomb

Bazry

Oct 30, 2017
I was under the impression the remake didn't sell very well, never saw it on any PSN charts etc

would be glad to be wrong

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Dude, windjammers is a national sport in France, there is a reason than Dotemu asked the french community to help them develop the latest port

Eszik

Oct 27, 2017
Paris, France
Hopefully it comes out on Switch or PC, it looks like a lot of fun but I never had a chance to play the original or the re-release

Sweep14

Oct 27, 2017
Windjammers is a good and addictive game (and very challenging when playing against the AI on hard difficulty). The problem of the latest port is online gaming because there's barely anyone playing.

5pectre

Nov 16, 2017
Dude, windjammers is a national sport in France, there is a reason than Dotemu asked the french community to help them develop the latest port

Wow, that's somewhat of a relief because DotEmu are most minimum effort developers I've ever seen. All their Neo Geo ports, besides Windjammers, are laggy shitheaps.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, that's somewhat of a relief because DotEmu are most minimum effort developers I've ever seen. All their Neo Geo ports, besides Windjammers, are laggy shitheaps.

For DotEmu standards, windjammers was an good game, sadly online was terrible, so the game lifespan was very short

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Disc Jam releasing on PS+ a few months before WJ totally cast a shadow on their plans.

Alx

Oct 27, 2017
Why the game is so popular in France ?

I don't think it's really that popular over here. Maybe there's a small community I'm not aware of, but even if I know and like the game from the time I was roaming the arcades, I've never seen it mentioned in popular culture or any media. So at best there are more fans of the game in France, but that doesn't make it especially popular.

masaa

Oct 27, 2017
France
I'm French and I love the original lol
Also know a few friends who do, so I'd definitely say that it at least has somewhat of a cult following over here.

Hope this one will be good.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017

You should get out of your bubble.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia

Who cares

Like for real my dude you got a Karnov avatar and you're saying this lol

Karnova

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Who cares

Like for real my dude you got a Karnov avatar and you're saying this lol
Maybe I'm jelly that Karnov's not getting love. :3

But for real I just remembered Windjammers as being a really 90stastic game that just got a bit of a second life because of its charm. I didn't know till now that it had a legit cult following especially in France.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Eh, I think Giant Bomb shining a light on it (and through that a bunch of other streamers) was probably as least as much of a factor.
When pressed, Imbert claimed Giant Bomb had nothing to do with his decision to bring back Windjammers, but called it a "nice surprise."

Imbert has aspirations for Windjammers to find a community in the competitive scene, which means it needs to be arcade perfect. To that end, he quickly recruited Windjammers France, a group of hardcore fans who've been organizing tournaments for 10 years.

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/art...-reviving-obscure-neo-geo-classic-windjammers