• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
That's the Update Assistant, which downloads and installs it, and a media creation utility, for doing a fresh install.
There is no standalone update installer package.
I thought you could update systems with the USB drive created by the Media Creation Tool, am I mistaken?

If the systems are on the same network, you should in theory be able to use the Delivery Optimization feature to download the update to one PC and then the rest should pull the update from it rather than the internet, but I don't know if that helps in your situation.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
You can set it to a metered connection, and then choose a default time for it to update that is not at night. I've never had this happen, but I don't leave the computer on over night like you have. If you do this, you can set it to prevent this from happening. You can also delay them.

It has never restarted randomly to update with these settings... and I always get the message when the update is ready.

Yes it's still a pain, but save often, set to metered, choose the time to update in the settings to be least likely to cause issues.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
That's the Update Assistant, which downloads and installs it, and a media creation utility, for doing a fresh install.

There is no standalone update installer package.
I'm pretty sure you can use the USB stick created by the media creation tool to plug it into a running Windows machine, and it will load an installer / updater within Windows. It works for both things, upgrading and fresh installing.

Even if you can't do it from within Windows (but I think you can) I'm 100% positive you can boot the USB stick from the BIOS and upgrade from there, it shows an upgrade option.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I'm pretty sure you can use the USB stick created by the media creation tool to plug it into a running Windows machine, and it will load an installer / updater within Windows. It works for both things, upgrading and fresh installing.

Even if you can't do it from within Windows (but I think you can) I'm 100% positive you can boot the USB stick from the BIOS and upgrade from there, it shows an upgrade option.
Doing it from within Windows results in a "not supported" error, and I assume from boot too, because the install media is an "upgrade", not an "update". It expects an OS prior to Windows 10.

mclaren777

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I was using Premiere, Audition, Photoshop, and Lightroom for various projects and I woke up today to a restarted PC.

And I have Windows 10 Pro. :(

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Now we're back to the problems of Windows 7 and earlier where people don't update their systems and are there are outbreaks of malware that cause hundreds of millions of dollars in damages, when the exploit already had patches released for it months prior.

This argument seems pretty lame when you remember that other OSes exist besides Windows. Linux, OSX, ChromeOS, Android, and iOS all seem to get by fine by just nagging the user to update. There are a lot more devices running these OSes than Windows, and yet the world is not burning.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
This argument seems pretty lame when you remember that other OSes exist besides Windows. Linux, OSX, ChromeOS, Android, and iOS all seem to get by fine by just nagging the user to update. There are a lot more devices running these OSes than Windows, and yet the world is not burning.
Windows still has 90% of the desktop market and 45% of the total market when you include mobile.
It's the largest target by a significant margin. A lot of people forget that macOS still has <10% marketshare.
You are mistaken if you think that unpatched Android, Linux, macOS/iOS devices are not a problem. There have been multiple ransomware attacks on macOS in the last couple of years, and IOT devices (Linux) are especially bad.

Oh no

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Doing it from within Windows results in a "not supported" error, and I assume from boot too, because the install media is an "upgrade", not an "update". It expects an OS prior to Windows 10.
It doesn't expect an OS before 10 dude. I've made a USB stick with the media creation tool and it upgrades Windows 10 to the newest build from within Windows with no issues. It's always worked this way. I use the media creation tool every time there's a major Windows 10 update and it means I have a USB stick ready to update any Windows 10 machine that I get asked to look at.

Make sure when you use the tool not to select x86 or x64 but select 'both' and you'll have a stick that can upgrade any Home or Pro machine whether it's 32 or 64 bit. Not sure if it works on Enterprise versions etc.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
I've had 3-4 updates appear in the last week. Each time I've caught them before my system shut down. On each I set them to the furthest possible date.

It's really sneaky to send a flurry of updates that each override the update time you just set.

Settings and reg edits do jack on the Home version

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Meanwhile, I turned on my work computer this morning, and Windows has been sitting at the "getting Windows ready... don't turn off your computer" prompt for 90 minutes now.

It cannot be understated how fucking terrible Windows updates are. How is there no estimated time to completion here? Why is there just a spinning circle? How much longer do I wait before turning it off and turning it back on (which has worked before on my home Windows partition)?