• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
It's got a softer, more modern design.

Newer scheduler for CPU and GPU.

The real big thing is Directstorage for gaming, which lets your GPU talk directly to your NVME drive, which is supposed to be a lot better in Windows 11 than 10.

But if none of that means anything to you, then there's not much of a difference.
This matters to me the most!

How many games even support this?
Forspoken supports it.

Rosa Lilium

Oct 27, 2017
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Oh yeah I heard about that but it seems people are mixed on Windows 11. Like people went from Windows 7 to 10 skipping 8(like I did) but if 11 is just like 10 or better then that's fine.

An install from scratch of WIndows 11 will perform way better than an upgrade from 10.

Just run O&OShutup10++ to shut off telemetry/ads. Use StartAllBack if you hate the Windows 11 start menu/taskbar.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
While my personal laptop came with Win10, and I "upgraded" last year to 11 (which I regret - 10 was great), my work desktop is still rocking windows 7! And I love it!

Proxy-Pie

Apr 3, 2018
The fact that dragging files across tabs was broken for like 2 years is enough proof it's garbage.

May 26, 2023
God you're an idiot
How many games even support this? DX10 features didn't do much to bring gamers to Vista.

I'm pretty sure this is a complete shift away from developing games with HDD's in mind. It's an actual sea change in the gaming industry.

The answer is it'll be the standard way to develop asset streaming in the very, very near future as it's already a standard/expected feature on consoles. Plus even though the technology is brand new there's almost 20 titles on Steam supporting it.

I know people like to look at this stuff (and raytracing) like some sort of technological gimmick, but it's really not.

Kingy

Feb 3, 2019
I don't want to have to look up if my game is Proton certified, I just want to run it. And since I mostly game on my PC, MacOS is straight out of the question. If Linux were ever dependable and actual worry-free, I'd drop Windows in a heartbeat.

I think this user expectation for software compatibility seems reasonable on the face of it, but it comes with all sorts of development costs.

Should the software/game I bought 5 years ago work on my new version of the OS? Probably. How about a game I bought 20 years ago to run on Windows XP? Maybe. You could go back to MSDOS software, and there'll still be users upset that their software won't work on the latest Windows.

Microsoft invests huge amounts in compatibility, and that comes at the cost of other features, and builds up huge technical debt in the OS, that slows down other work.

I don't think that's the wrong choice, but equally I don't think the Proton compatibility approach is wrong either. You can find some older windows games working better in Linux under Proton because each version can match the exact Windows ABI targeted by the game on release. If Steam can tag every game with the Proton version required you'll end up with games that "just run" as you describe.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Those all sound great and I shall do this once I get Windows 11 installed.
I don't really recommend these types of programs as they will break existing features in the future (or even as soon as you switch them) that you will need or it can stop updates from working or an update will break things more due to the setting changes. And then you'll be blaming Windows for being a broken mess.

Take it from me learning those lessons hard already. I've used both of those many times lol

You can just turn most of the telemetry off via the Settings by default.

Last edited:
May 26, 2023
God you're an idiot
I think this user expectation for software compatibility seems reasonable on the face of it, but it comes with all sorts of development costs.

Should the software/game I bought 5 years ago work on my new version of the OS? Probably. How about a game I bought 20 years ago to run on Windows XP? Maybe. You could go back to MSDOS software, and there'll still be users upset that their software won't work on the latest Windows.

Microsoft invests huge amounts in compatibility, and that comes at the cost of other features, and builds up huge technical debt in the OS, that slows down other work.

I don't think that's the wrong choice, but equally I don't think the Proton compatibility approach is wrong either. You can find some older windows games working better in Linux under Proton because each version can match the exact Windows ABI targeted by the game on release. If Steam can tag every game with the Proton version required you'll end up with games that "just run" as you describe.

Emulation for previous windows versions is pretty handy.

Again, I don't begrudge Protons existence, I think the work Valve is doing with Linux is great. I just work on computers all god damned day long and would rather not work on them when I'm at home.

Oct 28, 2017
They added "Never combine" for the task bar in an update some time ago finally but then, in typical Microsoft fashion, half-assed it where you can ONLY do that but not the the other things that were standard in previous versions of Windows (small icons, quick launch etc.).

Carbon

Oct 27, 2017
Its actually 12, 1/3 of those are duplicates for demos and betas for games already on the list.
Probably a good 3-5 years before it becomes standard on PC.
That's.....still ambitious. We had plenty of people bitching and moaning about simply dropping hard drive support, and that happened in the last 2 years. And that's despite SSDs being more or less standard on PCs for almost 10 years now.
Moving to an Gen 3+ NVME-only requirement? That likely won't happen until the next set of consoles release and we get a bunch of cross-gen games.
More games will support it for sure, but not as a hard and fast requirement.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah pretty much this. There's only so much "Just use CrazyJoe69's Win11 Un-Suckifier" that people can tolerate.

Yup, I got sick of that nonsense really quick. Decided I was done trawling through random githubs and installing 3rd party software to find hacky solutions to make the OS usable which will probably just break again on the next Windows update.

Zemoco

Jan 12, 2021
Sticking with LTSC IoT as long as no issues arise. Afterwards will probably move to Linux.

May 26, 2023
God you're an idiot
That's.....still ambitious. We had plenty of people bitching and moaning about simply dropping hard drive support, and that happened in the last 2 years. And that's despite SSDs being more or less standard on PCs for almost 10 years now.
Moving to an Gen 3+ NVME-only requirement? That likely won't happen until the next set of consoles release and we get a bunch of cross-gen games.

There wasn't a huge push to standardize a SATA III SSD interface with the GPU at all in the 2010's, but all three GPU manufacturers have Directstorage API's ready to go.

I'm fairly certain the next Monster Hunter game is going to be pushing for Directstorage, as well as if the Final Fantasy remakes ever make it to PC.

The truth of the matter is, you're going to have moaners about any push forward. Look at the Apple fans with regards to USB C.

Feb 20, 2024
I run a mixed environment, Win10, Win11 and Mac OS and really don't get the hate. Win11 has been fine with zero problems for us.

I use Linux as my daily hacks machine for doing stuff though. So I keep my Win11 work machine pretty standard, out of the box and its smoother and better than Win10 TBH.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
No one at work has been complaining about the machines that have been updated to Windows 11. But, I put together a group policy to disable as much of the garbage in it as I could.

It's hard to go back to Windows 10 now. The UI is too harsh. Metro was a good experiment, but they didn't know what to do with it.

Carbon

Oct 27, 2017
No one at work has been complaining about the machines that have been updated to Windows 11. But, I put together a group policy to disable as much of the garbage in it as I could.

It's hard to go back to Windows 10 now. The UI is too harsh. Metro was a good experiment, but they didn't know what to do with it.
I switch between the two almost daily because we have a windows 11 machine at work that sees common usage, and I don't get the "harsh" argument at all. Is Win11 slightly prettier? Sure! is it also functionally worse in a lot of ways for the sake of that prettiness? IMO, also yes.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
My work laptop just updated to Windows 11. I had no idea it was even a thing 😂

After a few days of using it, I don't hate it.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Seems like potential needless hassle and friction with no benefits. I'm not switching until I'm eventually forced to.

Nov 4, 2017
I've been daily driving Linux for almost a decade now, no regrets. I still have a Windows install for the occasional fame that just won't play ball. I went the Windows 11 route for my new PC last year and it's ... Fine? It looks pretty and seems fairly responsive. It's just as good and shitty as Windows has been for multiple generations as far as I can see, and I wouldn't use it if I didn't have to.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
I have been finding Windows 11 to be a mixed bag but mostly just a direct continuation of Windows 10. It's got a few things I like better and a few annoyances, but overall it's largely the same functionality and experience. I don't think people are fleeing from it en masse, it's just that it doesn't currently offer much of an upgrade over 10.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Windows 10 to Windows 11 is so similar to Ventura to Sonoma on macOS which makes people complaining about it hilarious to me lol 😆

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really recommend these types of programs as they will break existing features in the future (or even as soon as you switch them) that you will need or it can stop updates from working or an update will break things more due to the setting changes. And then you'll be blaming Windows for being a broken mess.

Take it from me learning those lessons hard already. I've used both of those many times lol

You can just turn most of the telemetry off via the Settings by default.
Ah, I see. Oh well, at least it's for the best to learn about it and go from there.

This is what I think as well.

Lebon30

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I'm a Mac guy but always liked Windows 10. Bummer to hear 11 is so bad.
It's not bad... it's just a lot of people refusing change. Sure, there are legitimate complaints such as the ads or the fucking garbage search or the non-ability to move the taskbar itself (not the icons on it!) to the left or right side or even top of the screen.

Personally. Zero issues. No ads. Most garbage removed. I even keep my icons on the taskbar centered.
I think the Start menu is super fine - I even like it. The only two things I'd change are:
- When clicking the search, to be able to go back to the start menu without going back and clicking the icon
- Be able to remove "Suggested" entirely.

As for the other complaints, the new left click menu would be cool if you could have the whole menu without clicking "More" and, also, allowing third-party apps to easily add to it. Seeing as most software go and only add itself to the old left-click menu still, it shows me that it's non-trivial to go and add it to the new left-click menu or even use it in their software.

I also remove all bloatware I don't want from the install itself using NTLite (if you make your own, please, test it in a VM!) and I also use that to automatically disable ads, telemetry, auto-dark theme, etc. You can go so much farther by integrating software and drivers to the ISO as well.

But I digress...

I never understood the "high requirement" complaints when, most likely, a lot of these people have a PC that's less than 5 years old - it's just that default BIOS settings are all wrong which makes Win11 non-compatibility trigger. I know you shouldn't have to do that but that one is on hardware manufacturers to not have these enabled by default (TPM and Secure Boot). Also, please, don't use that "Health" software, that's just junk and bugged to all Hell.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I want the ability in 11 to do icon grouping on the Start Menu like how 10 had. I understand there's third party software, but damn why not make it an option in the default OS.

Other than that I don't really mind 11 at all, using it on unsupported hardware.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Ive been using 11 for like 2 years now. Its okay. I liked 10 a bit more, but not that much.

disparate

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a Mac guy but always liked Windows 10. Bummer to hear 11 is so bad. I was thinking about building a gaming PC but maybe not???
Windows 11 is better than Windows 10 virtually universally, the problem was that upgrading at launch had a much higher bar than normal because OOTB compatibility with older hardware was blocked for ostensibly security reasons, so you had people salty that their hardware didn't work. If you're building a machine today with modern parts you're not going to have any problems.

I want the ability in 11 to do icon grouping on the Start Menu like how 10 had. I understand there's third party software, but damn why not make it an option in the default OS.

Other than that I don't really mind 11 at all, using it on unsupported hardware.
Like this?
TljFgCv.png

NukeRunner

Feb 8, 2024
I certainly don't like how aggressive MS has been in regards to shoving their bullshit down my throat after I moved to W11. I think MS doesn't understand most people aren't looking to 'join their ecosystem' and like their computer to feel agnostic to that idea, a DIY hodge podge of whatever you want. They've been trying to force this Windows ecosystem nonsense since Windows 8, but now even if I uninstall things or force things out, they suddenly place them back in security updates or some nonsense. No I don't want to use Edge, Onedrive, or Copilot, thanks.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I switched to Linux recently for everything except VR (and will switch for VR too when Steam Link VR support gets into the Steam Linux client)

I'm quite happy with my choice.

Obi

Oct 27, 2017
If Fusion 360 easily worked under Linux, I'd switch in an instant. I'm so tired of ads in every aspect of my life. Now Microsoft is popping ads at me while I'm trying to relax and listen to music or whatever. I would even be willing to give up PC gaming at this point.