nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
also never combine taskbar and more.

Microsoft Copilot

The prominent new feature in today's update is the introduction of Microsoft Copilot.

Copilot is a new AI-powered assistant integrated directly into Windows 11, allowing you to use artificial intelligence to perform various tasks in the operating system and your supported applications.

Using Microsoft Copilot, you can change system settings, analyze documents and web pages, schedule appointments, and even get help composing an email.

Microsoft Copilot in Windows 11
Microsoft Copilot in Windows 11
Source: Microsoft (Click to enlarge)
This new feature will replace Cortana, which Microsoft announced will be retired at the end of the year.

New AI features in Microsoft Paint

Microsoft Paint has received a significant upgrade, with new AI features and layer support, bringing the application closer to all you need to edit photos and images.

The new AI features in Microsoft Paint include a new background remover tool, demonstrated below, and the new Cocreator feature that generates images based on inputted text descriptions.

AI-powered background remover
AI-powered background remover
Source: BleepingComputer
In addition to the AI-powered features, Microsoft has also introduced layers and transparency, allowing you to use Paint as a full-featured image editor.

Support for more archive formats

Microsoft has added native support for the .7z, .rar, .gz, .tar, .bz2, and .tgz archive formats using the open-source libarchive project.

It is now no longer required to install 7-Zip, WinRAR, or other file extraction utilities unless you need the program's more advanced features or find them easier to use.

Native support for new archive formats
Native support for new archive formats

Windows passkey manager

Microsoft has added support for passkeys in Windows 11 that allow you to securely log into websites without passwords.

Passkeys are unique codes linked to your devices that allow you to use biometric controls or security keys to log in to websites.

Using passkeys significantly reduces the risk of data and network breaches as they protect against phishing attacks that cannot steal the authentication keys.

With this update, Microsoft has added a Passkey manager directly into Windows 11, allowing you to log in to websites using Windows Hello and security keys.

Windows 11 Passkey manager
Windows 11 Passkey manager

Source: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...date-released-here-are-the-many-new-features/

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
how did it take so long for windows to get native .7z support

stopmrdomino

Jun 25, 2023
I can't explain why, but something just... Rubs me the wrong way with the AI integration's. Feels like some kind of data harvesting scheme/privacy nightmare ready to happen

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft has added native support for the .7z, .rar, .gz, .tar, .bz2, and .tgz archive formats using the open-source libarchive project.

It is now no longer required to install 7-Zip, WinRAR, or other file extraction utilities unless you need the program's more advanced features or find them easier to use.

Can it compress to 7z?

Snipping tool OCR sounds good

snipping-tool-ocr.jpg

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
I can't explain why, but something just... Rubs me the wrong way with the AI integration's. Feels like some kind of data harvesting scheme/privacy nightmare ready to happen
that's already given using windows
I would like to try out copilot as it seems to be ai voice assistant, but with chat input. and unfortunately it still won't be similar to macos' help integration.

I hope they won't add another ad and pop-up screen/widget built into the gui. It's getting way to ridiculous for my taste.

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
The Copilot integration so far kinda sucks. At the moment its just a pinned Bing Chat. No file upload or true interaction with anything outside of Edge.

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
I have since moved on from Windows, but these are good updates. Native .7z and .rar support are pretty nice, And it is very good to see passkeys getting more widespread adoption.

The AI stuff can die in a fire though.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I have since moved on from Windows, but these are good updates. Native .7z and .rar support are pretty nice, And it is very good to see passkeys getting more widespread adoption.

The AI stuff can die in a fire though.
The generative stuff in Paint is cool. Using Generative Fill in Photoshop to remove and clean up stuff in ways Content Aware Fill never could is good stuff.

Ssyem

Banned
Mar 15, 2022
When is the Office AI integration (particularly the ability to generate PowerPoint presentations) coming out? That would save me so much time as a teacher if I didn't have to manually make graphics and animations to keep kids' interest.

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
The generative stuff in Paint is cool. Using Generative Fill in Photoshop to remove and clean up stuff in ways Content Aware Fill never could is good stuff.

Fair. My ire mainly comes from the copilot stuff added. I don't personally see the need for something like it. It's just resources being used for the sake of a (imo shitty) trend. I like my OS to load, stay out of my way and let me work. If copilot can be completely disabled/removed, then I would be a bit more fine with it existing, but considering how little you can completely rip out of Windows, I'm not holding my breath.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
yea but whose gonna go download winrar now except for windows oldheads?

You create a .rar file recently? I don't even know of a use case for them over .zip, and that's already natively supported by windows.
You literally can't celebrate being able to open RAR files while at the same time wondering who makes the files anymore. You see how those are diametrically opposed beliefs?

Lebon30

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
NOTEPAD AUTOSAVE LETS FUCKING GO
Microsoft: We added the most awesome feature in Notepad: auto-saving!
Notepad++: *cough* *cough*

Microsoft is soooooooooooooooooo slow to add basic stuff in, it's not even funny. I mean, adding 7zp, rar and other Linux archive formats should have been a thing since at least Vista. But nope, it took until fall 2023 to finally offer it. And they didn't even wrote that themselves.

(btw, I paid for WinRAR and I don't regret it).

Geode

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
The passkeys functionality is probably the most important feature in this update.

jobrro

The Fallen
Nov 19, 2017
Included RAR functionality is cool but I don't think I will be uninstalling WinRAR until Windows or Power Toys adds an 'Extract Here' or 'Extract to /archive_name' option to the right-click menu that works with multiple archives selected.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
ExplorerPatcher busted, well, explorer for me after this update, but I fixed it by uninstalling the update through the start-up recovery options then manually reinstalling it afterwards (without EP of course). Just in case it's happening to anyone else.

Time to get rid of that thing, probably. :P Especially now that the taskbar is a bit more sensible.

Meeps

3D animator
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I cannot wait for never combine. Maybe they'll also fix the bug where Explorer windows randomly pop in front of everything.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
So this is interesting. I'm in the EU and have the update, but copilot is not enabled because the EU haven't agreed the privacy issues with Microsoft.
I also can't see the AI Paint update.

New Explorer tabs are cool.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Support for more archive formats

fucking insane this is only happening in 2023

winrar/7zip has been the first thing i install on all of my pcs for the last 20 years

May 25, 2019
London
I think there's more in this update that I care about than macOS Sonoma.

Hopefully this is the start of all PC hardware that has RGB lighting supporting this out of the box in the future so we can start worrying about different utility programs

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
For folks thinking the built-in 7zip and RAR support is the bee's knees, I'm sad to tell you it's pretty crappy.

www.neowin.net

Windows 11 gets native RAR support, here is how it compares to WinRAR and other apps

The next Windows 11 feature update will bring native RAR, 7Z, TAR, and other compressing formats support to File Explorer. Here is how it compares to dedicated apps like WinRAR and NanaZIP.

Just like with the built-in Zip functionality, Windows is still much slower than normal Nanazip or WinRAR.

AAION

Dec 28, 2018
I'm always at a crossroads about built in apps getting new features.
I think they should have the functionality to meet basic user needs but leave space for third party app devs to provide value. But then everyone complains they're outdated and need updates idk