• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bing

Banned
Apr 27, 2020
nowhere, canada
After yesterday's Xbox Games Showcase featuring reveals like Halo Infinite's gameplay, rumors quickly started to spread about some of the big games shown. Citing @ChronoTK on Twitter, the rumor that Playground Games's Fable was actually an MMO (Massively Multiplayer Online) title quickly spread.
For anyone who is concerned about not getting a proper role-playing game (RPG), your fears are unfounded. Multiple sources familiar with the plans for Playground's take on Fable have confirmed to us that it is an action-RPG, one that you can play in single-player. There may be online elements like co-op functionality or limited, optional shared spaces but nothing to the extent that would justify classifying the game as an MMO.
This wasn't the end of the worried whispers though, as a comment from Brad Sams indicated that Halo Infinite might ship without its multiplayer. 343 Industries community director Brian Jarrard quickly stepped in to explain this rumor wasn't true, replying to a (now-deleted) Tweet about the rumor.
We've previously reported that the multiplayer for Halo Infinite might be free-to-play, in the same vein as Call of Duty: Warzone being available without buying Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. If so, it's possible that the campaign and multiplayer could use seperate clients but they are intended to ship alongside each other.
Halo Infinite is coming to Xbox One, Xbox Series X and PC with a release window of Holiday 2020. Fable is coming to the Xbox Series X and PC but there's no release date or even window right now.
Source Article

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Well, ZHuge essentially implied it IS an MMO of sorts, just not a 2004 style one. I think at the end of the day, it just means it's a GAAS / probably Destiny-esque

For the record, I think that sounds like a great direction for the game, Playground has become one of the developers I trust the most, and I'm very excited for it. I guess I just think people might have different definitions of what's an MMO these days. I'd personally consider Destiny an MMO-lite of sorts, but genre definitions are spotty these days.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Glad 'Era didn't quickly jump and take those rumors as gospel....
tenor.gif

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Well, ZHuge essentially implied it IS an MMO of sorts, just not a 2004 style one. I think at the end of the day, it just means it's a GAAS / probably Destiny-esque

I think something akin to Forza Horizon 4.

When people say MMO i'm pretty sure they mean something like WoW or TESO.

Don't expect Fable to be like WoW or TESO at all.

OP
OP

bing

Banned
Apr 27, 2020
nowhere, canada

For the record, I think that sounds like a great direction for the game, Playground has become one of the developers I trust the most, and I'm very excited for it. I guess I just think people might have different definitions of what's an MMO these days. I'd personally consider Destiny an MMO-lite of sorts, but genre definitions are spotty these days.
Here's what he said.
I wouldn't read into this too heavily.

It's not an actual 2004 style MMO

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017

Ah yeah, I don't either. Either way, I'm sure that game is gonna be great. Forza Horizon has become an increasingly spectacular franchise.

DrMoguera

Oct 27, 2017
It sure would be cool if Microsoft communicated effectively about their games from the get-go.

LewLew

Jul 21, 2020
im pretty sure the squirrel implied it was going to be like horizon which i am more than happy with as that wasnt too intrusive (is that the right word?)

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
"There may be online elements like co-op functionality or limited, optional shared spaces but nothing to the extent that would justify classifying the game as an MMO"

Wasnt this what most said here on Era?

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really see the point in having Infinites multiplayer be F2P. I assume they want people to play it on Gamepass and if cost is the issue, Sea of Thieves has been super successful on Steam while charging full price.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
No one expected that. But expecting something like Ghost Recon Breakpoint, Division, Destiny or Marvels Avengers doesn't seem too far fetched. As long as this stuff is optional and the game can be enjoyed as a pure single-player game no one will have a problem with that.

tangeu

Oct 27, 2017
I always hate the verbage "you can play it single player" that's said for so many multiplayer games as a service and while technically correct it's nearly always designed around playing multiplayer.

DrMoguera

Oct 27, 2017
Why would they respond to unfounded rumors?
They shouldn't need to respond to unfounded rumors. There shouldn't be rumors about this kind of stuff in the first place. They should just clearly communicate what their games are from the start instead of constant vagueness. Especially for a game that is supposed to be releasing in a few months.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Feel ZhugeEX and Transistor should clarify what they meant by not a 2004 MMO and "MMO-lite".

At the moment it's causing some confusion regarding the conversation around the game.

It's online connected and has multiplayer aspects, but It's not a game like WoW or FFXIV where a lot of the game is being run server-side and you're a client connecting to that MMO.

So likely something like Forza Horizon 4 where you see others in the world but they're 'ghosts' unless you choose to interact with them and invite them into your world or etc.

The fact that they've not been hiring up multiplayer-focused people suggests that it's something they can pull off with the experience they already have within Playground, and the system they've been using for the Forza Horizon games is really similar to how multiplayer worked in Fable 2 -- albeit more robust.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds more like Forza Horizon. Do your own thing and other people are around doing theirs. Until you want to do something together.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
No one expected that. But expecting something like Ghost Recon Breakpoint, Division, Destiny or Marvels Avengers doesn't seem too far fetched. As long as this stuff is optional and the game can be enjoyed as a pure single-player game no one will have a problem with that.

I think expecting something closer to Forza Horizon is a safe bet. Something like Division feels way too big for Playground Games.

Nov 2, 2019
Honestly, the shitty thing about stories like this is the false info is already out there and spread like crazy on social media and even here. It's so called "insiders" who aren't journalists, sometimes with their own agendas, use ambiguous/confusing language, who don't cross check with multiple sources and make sure their info is 100% nailed down before tweeting it out so they can get the "clout."

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

Didn't Fable 3 have something similar? You could turn on MP and see little orbs flying around who were other players.

I imagine similar to Wild Areas in Pokemon went a bit further than that.

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017

Honestly I think the MMO Lite rumours probably are referring to what there is in Forza: Horizon. For people who haven't played the game, you play in a shared world where other players are represented as ghost cars and you can interact with them etc. There are also weekly events that tie into the online aspect as well.

However, you can chose to play the game solo just fine. This is what I think Fable will have and this in all honesty just sounds like building upon what was already there in 2&3.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have no idea what infinite even is 4 months prior to release. If you didn't want people speculating based on rumors maybe be a bit more forthcoming about the game thats about to release and was slated as a system seller to get hyped over?

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
It's online connected and has multiplayer aspects, but It's not a game like WoW or FFXIV where a lot of the game is being run server-side and you're a client connecting to that MMO.

So likely something like Forza Horizon 4 where you see others in the world but they're 'ghosts' unless you choose to interact with them and invite them into your world or etc.

The fact that they've not been hiring up multiplayer-focused people suggests that it's something they can pull off with the experience they already have within Playground, and the system they've been using for the Forza Horizon games is really similar to how multiplayer worked in Fable 2 -- albeit more robust.
I hope this is true!

Probably it's an MMO like Destiny, but not a MMORPG like WoW, Guild Wars, or FFXIV
I'd rather not this be true aha. Destiny is far from my cup of tea.

The tone of the reveal trailer really showed that PG get what tone a Fable game should be. Really want to see the franchise come back swinging as I loved playing the first 3 back in the day.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
I think the bigger thing from this article is that they earlier reported Halo's MP could be free to play.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
Remember 20 years ago when people were overly alarmist and told us to not believe everything you read on the internet?

I miss those days.

Aska

Jan 11, 2020
Well it's not full wow mmo, it's problably something along the lines of monster hunter or destiny.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Honestly, the shitty thing about stories like this is the false info is already out there and spread like crazy on social media and even here. It's so called "insiders" who aren't journalists, sometimes with their own agendas, use ambiguous/confusing language, who don't cross check with multiple sources and make sure their info is 100% nailed down before tweeting it out so they can get the "clout."

I mean in this case didn't it come from Brad Sams whose covered Microsoft for a long time?

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
It will probably be a shared world game where you can group with people if you want or ignore them completely. I remember the goofy orbs floating around back in Fable 2. This franchise always had big online aspirations.