aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Lives > video games, so I'm fine with this.

Why do people post things like this? Sometimes it's like a competition here to be the most vocal in reminding people "it's just games". Of course lives are more important! Of course! That should go without saying.

You can be disappointed, though - if you are passionate about games. It's not like I (or any other sane person) would put games above lives, but it's hard to expect fans to be so nonchalant about it.

I'm NOT fine with this as I am looking forward to new consoles. Does that mean I would avoid delays and risk lives? No! Lives come first.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
That's kind of a weak argument for the delays being likely then. For all we know, two months from now the situation could be greatly improved and the launches will happen. The headline should really read: "2020 console launches are in question" not "strong likelhood" of delay.
The problem is Ms and Sony will have to compete with Apple and the many phone manufacturers since the distribution channels may not be at full capacity yet.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
... no one associates products with the year it was released

for yearly releases? no.
We are talking about a product that will be used for years.

You want to be a part of the spirit of optimism after the recent hardship. You want to be associated with the new start, you want your product be the luxury item that people buy to celebrate the new age.

People buy luxury items for themselves as a reward for a job well done for ages. (or get it gifted from someone)
You remember your gifts much more emotionally and hold them much more in a positive light after it was a massive milestone you overcame.
My father still talks about his first Radio he got after his coming-of-age-ceremony.
I still fondly remember my first PC after my own coa-ceremony.
My sister fondly remembers her first car after graduation.
And one of my friends still has the boombox he got after he kicked a nasty sickness.

Psychology is a powerful duplicator.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
I'd be extremely surprised if any of these consoles get delayed to 2021. Nobody's giving up the lucrative holiday shopping season.

At worst, you'd have supply shortages, but that's it.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Why do people post things like this? Sometimes it's like a competition here to be the most vocal in reminding people "it's just games". Of course lives are more important! Of course! That should go without saying.

You can be disappointed, though - if you are passionate about games. It's not like I (or any other sane person) would put games above lives, but it's hard to expect fans to be so nonchalant about it.

I'm NOT fine with this as I am looking forward to new consoles. Does that mean I would avoid delays and risk lives? No! Lives come first.

Good post.

I genuinely find it hard to believe any human would be childish enough to want someone to risk catching corona just to manufacture a games console.

We can still be gutted if they are delay. I dont want them to be delayed, even if it would be better for the business I work for.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not waiting for any particur game yet so there's not much to be dissapointed about.

ZmillA

Oct 27, 2017
That would suck. You'd like to think things will have ended by the time consoles are being manufactured

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
Damn corvid-19 raining on everyone's parade. I'm man in the prime of my youth, I wanna go bar-hopping and play video games.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
There's still a shit ton of great games dropping this year. Next gen can wait if it means keeping people healthy.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
As people have been saying that it's strongly likely this new virus will come back every year, the moment a vaccine will be available is going to be extremely important.
Launching this year is also going to be very costly, marketing-wise in the US, when you have to compete for ad space with the elections.

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be extremely surprised if any of these consoles get delayed to 2021. Nobody's giving up the lucrative holiday shopping season.

I think you are in for some extreme surprise then. If this was the titanic we are just now getting to the point where the captain realizes he has fucked up. Not trying to be alarmist, but that's what's going on. Only just recently have most leaders begun to take this seriously. It's not going to be contained or go away by the end of the year.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't it likely they already started producing these in some form? If that's the case, they will still launch this holiday albeit in a very limited supply fashion. Like the kind of stock that would take a few months to replenish after the initial pre-orders and first batch of store stock.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
I think you are in for some extreme surprise then. If this was the titanic we are just now getting to the point where the captain realizes he has fucked up. Not trying to be alarmist, but that's what's going on. Only just recently have most leaders begun to take this seriously. It's not going to be contained or go away by the end of the year.

It's already relatively well contained in China now, and that's the critical path. Manufacturing can go on, and all that will happen is a short supply at launch.

Only real impact could be on software (games) but even if a couple of formerly launch games slip, that's not worth postponing a holiday launch.

China was the piece that needed to be resolved, and that's done now.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I think they'll release this year, probably still very limited supply. The slave labour they are utilizing in China will be why.

May 15, 2019

I agree. They might just launch it for normal time frame; preorders will sell out and finding them for the first few months will be seemingly downright impossible.

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I think climate change would be a better analogy for that. I mean at a population level rate of mortality is 2-3%, it isn't near an existential threat. But it is an issue that will affect many people in the West or people they know. Things will have to return to some form of routine though. I mean it would be rather pathetic if they didn't, given that many developing countries operate to a degree with many disease of higher consequence. I think this kind of disruption will last for a couple of months at most, and then it will move to more self regulated behaviour (well, that is all it is in the UK at the moment anyway), with augmented capacity to identify and isolate people suffering from the virus.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York
They could either release and go for a likely N64 style launch with hardly any games, or delay to Q1. I guess there could just be a lot of new gen patches to fill up the roster?

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I don't think production will be the issue that causes a next-gen delay. The potential factors that could lead one of the two companies to push next-gen back are software and the state of the economy. If launch-window software seem like they will not release in time for a holiday 2020 launch or the economy is in a recession where spending will be reduced greatly, then that will be a problem for a console launch.

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
I would be fine with this. People's health is more important, and I have a bunch of lengthy current gen games to get through. That said, a delay would probably mean I won't wait to play some of these games on a PS5.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017

I too doubt that any of the two will be delayed but the launch will certainly be a slower one as many potential buyers will likely have other things to pay for.

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

You'd be *shocked* by the entitlement I've seen around here

Nov 20, 2019

LOL exactly!

Biteren

Oct 29, 2017
Im ok with this, ive been waiting for any ps5 news so whats a little longer?

Also gives me time to tackle my backlog

Glimpse_Dog

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If supplies are limited and they do launch Q4 2020, where would you guys recommend pre-ordering from in EU?

With Gamestop on it's last legs I want to pick somewhere I can be sure will honour the pre-order (when they go up).

Last edited:

Deleted member 61469

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2019
People better be quick once the pre orders are up even if there are no delays. I have a feeling scalpers will make a lot of money this year.

gozu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
America
New consoles would be nice to have by the time the next Corona season rolls around in December to distract people quarantined inside.

All depends how quickly China gets the virus under control. They also would have to close their borders absent quarantine.

Oct 27, 2017
Dunno. I know one factory in china that's completely operative after one month of lockdown. Of course it has nothing to do with videogames but it's still a pretty big factory and they've resumed their activities already.

Do we know for certain if the ones responsible for these console's mass production are not operative yet?

DrKelpo

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Safety and health are obviously the higher priority here... if it helps/is necessary delay the consoles!

... but I'm not gonna lie, pretty bummed about it :( I was really looking forward to new consoles this year.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
1st world problems. Current gen is going much stronger than most end of gens. We got plenty of gaming until next gen is ready. I'm completely good with this.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

What is this? First you say it goes without saying, and then you say you are NOT fine with this?
When we still have people partying, going out to restaurants and bars - it does not go without saying. We should be happy that consoles are delayed.

They will launch on time with limited supply...like every console launch. Nothing to see here.

No. Microsoft and Sony do not want to get in the press because people risk their lives and spread disease because they are lining up all night to get their hands on these extra supply constrained consoles.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Might be for the best. Delay ghost of tsushima to september. End this gen with ragnarok, cyberpunk, watchdogs and gods and monsters.

The real question is what this would mean for microsoft and halo. I feel like it would really hurt them to not launch the series x with halo infinite. It's not like they can delay the launch of halo though due to all of the marketing deals they likely have tied up in it (mtn dew/doritos, toys, books exc.)

It might actually work so sonys benefit as I imagine they dont have much for launch (like always) but they probably have a big game lined up for spring 2021 so of they could instead have horizon 2 (or whatever) at launch they will be in a much stronger position.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Since it's not a XSX exclusive there shouldn't be any reason for 343 to delay it because of a possible XSX delay. The Xbox One version will essentially be an XSX version anyway due to smart delivery.
Halo Infinite's release is strategically tied to XSX release. If XSX is delayed so will Halo Infinite.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017

I literally dont think it matters when they launch these systems. They will be sold out for months regardless (look at the switch.)

They would be much better off delaying and having a stockpile of systems instead of launching in the fall with less than let's say 500K systems per region.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
How many months before the official release date should a console being manufactueed?