• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vexii

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
UK
Hey all, super quick one here -

Looking for suggestions on a simple software that allows me to toggle different screen resolutions with just a click or two. Ideally something that sits in the system tray and offers a list of resolutions, etc.

I need it because I have an ultrawide screen, but will often need to drop down to a regular 16:9 resolution for compatibility/practical reasons. This is variable across a wide range of games and desktop applications, so just changing the resolution on a per-app basis won't work well enough - it needs to be a global change.

Thank you!

tomd96

Jul 6, 2018
Display Fusion can do this with keyboard shortcuts. I've been using it for various monitor profiles for years and it's been great.

deadman322

Oct 29, 2017
displayfusion is probably your best bet. i did a quick search and it seems like creating different monitor profiles will let you change resolution with a hotkey.

edit: just beaten.

ScarletJon

Prophet of Truth
Jun 25, 2018
I use Monitor Profile Switcher. It's mainly used for switching monitor setups (like if you want 2 of your 3 monitors on or whatever), but can also be used to switch resolutions. But it requires that you preset the different profiles. It's freeware and lightweight. Sits in the task tray, and has keybindable profiles.

I use it in tandem with a streamdeck for easy and fast switching.

EDIT: MPS is also FOSS https://github.com/cooolinho/monitor-profile-switcher

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020
DisplayMagician is what you are looking for, free and open source:
github.com

GitHub - terrymacdonald/DisplayMagician: DisplayMagician is an open source tool for automatically configuring your displays and sound for a game or application from a single Windows Shortcut.

DisplayMagician is an open source tool for automatically configuring your displays and sound for a game or application from a single Windows Shortcut. - GitHub - terrymacdonald/DisplayMagician: Di...

You can also make that the screen resolution change when opening x game/app.

Zexen

Oct 27, 2017
Get this, then create a .bat file with this syntax:

Code:
ChangeScreenResolution.exe /w=WIDTH /h=HEIGHT /f=REFRESH_RATE_30_60_90_120_... /d=DISPLAY_INDEX_0_1_2_...

Double click the .bat file created, simple as that, can't be much quicker.

You can basically create as much files as you want, let them sit on your desktop and simply double click the one you want to switch your resolution to.

or even better, add them to your taskbar, and launch them with the Windows Key + Position number (Win1, Win 2, Win 3, etc...)

blakdeth

Oct 25, 2017
Do you all find that, despite changing your screen resolution, games continue to use the resolution they were previously set to? For example, I have been using Gamestream Launchpad to switch my desktop resolution from 3840x1600 to 1920x1080 when streaming games using Nvidia Gamestream. However, when a game loads, it preserves the resolution it was previously set to - in this case, 3840x1600. I should note that the game is set to "fullscreen" mode. Are you all able to switch desktop and game resolution in one go?

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I use Monitor Profile Switcher. It's mainly used for switching monitor setups (like if you want 2 of your 3 monitors on or whatever), but can also be used to switch resolutions. But it requires that you preset the different profiles. It's freeware and lightweight. Sits in the task tray, and has keybindable profiles.

I use it in tandem with a streamdeck for easy and fast switching.

EDIT: MPS is also FOSS https://github.com/cooolinho/monitor-profile-switcher

My vote goes to this, I'm using it for years.

Oct 27, 2017
Hey all, super quick one here -

Looking for suggestions on a simple software that allows me to toggle different screen resolutions with just a click or two. Ideally something that sits in the system tray and offers a list of resolutions, etc.

I need it because I have an ultrawide screen, but will often need to drop down to a regular 16:9 resolution for compatibility/practical reasons. This is variable across a wide range of games and desktop applications, so just changing the resolution on a per-app basis won't work well enough - it needs to be a global change.

Thank you!
github.com

GitHub - cooolinho/monitor-profile-switcher

Contribute to cooolinho/monitor-profile-switcher development by creating an account on GitHub.