• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Waggles

Oct 26, 2017
WB about to shutter Rocksteady and shelve the entirety of the Arkhamverse, cuz clearly there's no market for them.

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020
Both of those numbers are insane. I guess I can't really say anything because I didn't buy either game, but the Avengers and the Suicide Squad are two very popular IP these days. PC / PS5 / Xbox have a huge combined market, and only 150 people are legitimately enjoying it.

People already got GAAS games they are playing. They need to be convinced why on Earth they would just abandon games they have already sunk a lot of time and money on for a new commitment to a new forever game. Especially Suicide Squad is a latecomer to the live service field, and it just does not cut it. Even if it was a better received game, it's slow content drip and barren content to begin with might be a death sentence for it.

Also it does feel like that Warner Bros gravely overestimated the pull that Suicide Squad IP would have. Bluntly speaking the general audiences seem to have lost their interest for the IP right after the first movie and it's financial success was nothing but a fluke, but Warner Bros just stubbornly keeps dreaming of recapturing the lightning in the bottle.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
I knew this game would flop pretty much the day it was announced. Same with the marvel game. This type of game is so unpopular that i cant believe they're still being made as AAA games. They think slapping a popular IP on it is enough but it just isnt.

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
This is what happens when you don't listen to me and not make a non-fighting Mortal Kombat game, Rocksteady.

And now look at ya!

JehutyRunner

Oct 26, 2017
are there more never nudes or suicide squad players

the world must know
200w.gif

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
WB about to shutter Rocksteady and shelve the entirety of the Arkhamverse, cuz clearly there's no market for them.

I saw Tweet that someone posted that there was already big exodus of talent because of WB meddling and because two cofounders that left studio are poaching talent. Current SS situation doesn't help and overall number of layoffs in the industry.

Oct 27, 2017
Always find it kind of tasteless and morbid when people tag onto a game which was a commercial failure and then almost gleefully chart its downfall like this. Same thing happened with Lawbreakers in the old place.

Soviet

Oct 28, 2017
Warner Bros. will look at these numbers, compare it to Hogwarts Legacy being the top selling games of all 2023 and be like "yeah, lets invest more money in GaaS" and then pay a 10 million bonus to the CEO.

Robert81

Nov 2, 2017
I just beat this game last night. I enjoyed the story. Im done playing it now. I could care less about multiplayer and unlocking stupid crap for looks and weapons. The battle pass has to be the crappy battle pass i have ever seen. Oh anf you have to pay to unlock joker. So lame and cheap. I only played for just under 20 hours

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like I was one of the few people actually excited for this game before it came out, and even I didn't buy it.

I played a ton of Avengers (I was kinda starved for Marvel content at the time and didn't really have anything else to play), so a lot of my excitement for this was largely dependant on Suicide Squad avoiding a lot of the issues that plagued Avengers, specifically having way too much repeated missions/content.

It does sound like SS has a bit better Endgame and loot, but everything else seems so similar. Add in the fact that it doesn't run well on Deck (and probably wouldn't on my desktop PC either) and it was an easy pass until it's like $20 or less.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
Honestly feel like this is a bit mean and I'm unsure why I feel that. Perhaps I just feel bad for the devs. What a fall it has been for Rocksteady tho I'm sure they will bounce back strong
These unending articles dunking on Steam player numbers are such a stupid trend. Giving anyone with a pulse access to this information was a mistake lol.

It's because they are mean. They're self-fulfilling articles that prey on the currently acceptable punching bag and assist in them falling further while making people more comfortable being assholes about it.

"Just reporting the facts" is a statement that's technically true to smokescreen the real reason we keep getting these articles.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Bummer because I like the gameplay. But it does get stale after logging in 30 minutes.

Miller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This shouldn't surprise anyone because the PC port is broken, and actually got considerably worse with the last major update. 4090s pulling <40 fps. It's a disaster. I was hoping Digital Foundry would cover this, but there's frankly not a ton of interest. Which says a lot in and of itself. This would be a deeply humiliating situation for WB Games if anybody actually cared enough to even notice.

OGlol

Jun 4, 2018
i had faith in the game but after the way they launched season 1 and continue to just ignore the community and not provide any real marketing or content updates, sucks to suck

AnimeJesus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the game was boring awful mess story wise and gameplay , so ...

Nah…that's actually the two areas where it excelled. High production cutscenes that were entertaining to watch and work towards. The gameplay loop is also fantastic.

Bummer that no one wanted the game or couldn't handle fictional characters getting killed.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
Guy looks at steamdb and write an "article" to keep pilling on this game.

Great "news".

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
At some point this is kind of just schadenfraude. The games dead, I just feel bad for RS at this point

Oct 28, 2017
At the risk of this being thread whining, can we stop reposting player count dooming from rags like Windowscentral? Game is meh, it majorly underperformed, WB has already said as much. I don't see what this adds.
This. There's not much to add to the discussion at this point. Just people pointing and laughing which isn't helpful or productive.

Prompto

Oct 25, 2017
Hope Rocksteady survives this and comes back better than ever. But I bet the current WB leadership will have them make another live service game that no one wants.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
I know someone who loved the SE Avengers game and stayed with it until EoS. Even he skipped this game.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
This really does have to go down as one of the biggest bombs of the past decade. When you consider budget, dev time, developer pedigree, and IP, this is just a spectacular failure.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
It is what it is. The reaction when they first revealed the game should've made them go back to the drawing board but they ignored it and went chasing after GaaS money and now they have to deal with the consequences.

zaxil456

Aug 4, 2020
I know someone who loved the SE Avengers game and stayed with it until EoS. Even he skipped this game.
I mean they're completely different games.

I still play Avengers every now and then with a squad of mine but none of us were interested in SS because of the gameplay.

Aki

Mar 20, 2020
Man this sucks for Rocksteady, hope it won't affect too many jobs once the game stops getting support.

Wish they made a Batman Beyond game or a new IP but it's never too late!

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
I still remember those posts talking about the "era bubble" and that this would be a success

Good times

Tea-Stance

Feb 11, 2024
At the risk of this being thread whining, can we stop reposting player count dooming from rags like Windowscentral? Game is meh, it majorly underperformed, WB has already said as much. I don't see what this adds.

Tbh I have to agree. It's just below sales arguments in how toxic they get. Also YouTube view threads should stop too outside of extreme circumstances I guess (like GTA6 breaking records).

The studio is probably deader than dead and it's all the fault of the dumb executives.

And Era will quietly celebrate it based on the dunking people did pre release.

This is what happens when you don't listen to me and not make a non-fighting Mortal Kombat game, Rocksteady.

And now look at ya!

Yeah I'm sure Rocksteady were chomping at the bit to make a MK spinoff.

The first movie was extremely successful financially
Gunn's bombed financially

So no

I think the comics and animated movies were successful
To be fair the Gunn film released in cinema during Covid. People always tend to miss that part.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I still remember those posts talking about the "era bubble" and that this would be a success

Good times
The whole "Suicide Squad is a recognised IP" was also rather funny. Like, ignoring the fact that recognised doesnt equal popular, the fact that an Avengers game with a big budget technically bombed should have been enough of a red flag that similar can absolutely happen here.

ImpendingFoil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I really like this game and still play it here and there but Season 1 just being a huge grind just completely deflated me with this game. I think the characters are great and the game
play is solid but the grind with so little content is a bit much.

I also love the Avengers game, glad to see some people still enjoying it.