• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
I mean they're completely different games.

I still play Avengers every now and then with a squad of mine but none of us were interested in SS because of the gameplay.

There's also the very real concept of not getting burned twice. Sticking with a game you're already invested in until EOS and starting a new game with a similar trajectory are 2 whole different things.

Blitzpwnage

Feb 11, 2018
God it launched in February? For whatever reason it feels like this has been out for ages.

I feel this way too. I think it's because the reporting on this shitshow has been so long. Like it was almost a year ago that they showed off gameplay and it wasn't looking good. So then they delayed the game. Rinse and repeat on the news cycle about it and here we are. We've been hearing about this game and its failure for so long lol

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
At least WB will learn from this that Rocksteady shouldn't be making a GAAS game again, right? RIGHT?

Trigger

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I feel for the fans of this game every time a new thread pops up. I was a fan of Marvel's Avengers and the conversation around it became exhausting. I hope that the full battle pass leak comes true at least.

ReBirFh

Dec 8, 2017
Also, concurrents don't tell the full story. Normally the Daily Active Users (a metric used internally) is much higher, but because people play at different times of day the CCU will be lower. DAU and MAU are generally a better sign of a game's health than CCU.

I'm surprised Steam or SteamDB don't track DAUs, since essentially it would be a check of all unique accounts tracked as playing the game within the past 24 hours.
even for a GAAS title?

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel for the fans of this game every time a new thread pops up. I was a fan of Marvel's Avengers and the conversation around it became exhausting. I hope that the full battle pass leak comes true at least.
I feel it's impossible they're keeping the roadmap going on with such terrible numbers and sales.

Maybe some other season when the game comes into some kind of subscription service, but not much more.

Avengers had way better numbers than this in comparison.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Also, concurrents don't tell the full story. Normally the Daily Active Users (a metric used internally) is much higher, but because people play at different times of day the CCU will be lower. DAU and MAU are generally a better sign of a game's health than CCU.

I'm surprised Steam or SteamDB don't track DAUs, since essentially it would be a check of all unique accounts tracked as playing the game within the past 24 hours.
Sure, but the metric is still useful if you're comparing it to other games using the same metric. It's tough to imagine a game with 1000 peak CCU having fewer DAU than a game with 100 peak CCU. You're right that this doesn't tell the whole story of how many people are playing Suicide Squad in a day, but it should still be a good sign of how well Suicide is doing relative to other games.

Long story short, there's almost no reality where Suicide Squad is doing less than 200 daily CCU on steam, but WB is still okay with the game's performance because the slack is being picked up elsewhere

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
image.png

Batman: Arkham Origins also has more players, but I omitted it since it was a different studio.
Shout out to the lone Arkham City warrior

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada

As someone who enjoyed the game and has/will actively defend it, I can't really argue with the low player counts now. They fumbled the ball so hard that it augered into the center of the earth with that first season.

I like the game and it wasn't nearly enough to bring me back once I finished it. All they did was provide another lesson on not trusting pre-release hype on the support a game would receive.

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
There's gotta be a case study as to what the fuck was happening at Rocksteady between Arkham Knight/VR and this mess. That's over eight years. Surely there had to have been other projects that fell by the wayside during that timeframe?

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
They should just take the L and announce this game would be abandoned without a future roadmap.
Obviously a huge waste of time and money

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
An unfortunate situation from the devs. The game itself doesn't *deserve* to do better, but the studio definitely does.

Hopefully WB gives them another chance and let's them make a product people actually want, but I doubt it.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
They still have several emergency levers to pull.

Make it free to start to give players a taste of the campaign and then take the check to put it on subscription services.

I would be shocked if the game doesn't see all 4 seasons release. Pared back content, sure, but at this point it's sunk cost and I highly doubt whatever game they are working on next is far enough along to need every body on it.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Its weird. I found/find the game fun.

I think the marketing and posturing of DLC was a mistake.

If future DLC will include new areas and characters, sell that and make the battle pass extras the "perk" for playing more.

I would pay for more characters and new areas (like Smash), but I don't know if I'm paying for another battle pass that I have to grind to get the next character.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
Tbh I have to agree. It's just below sales arguments in how toxic they get. Also YouTube view threads should stop too outside of extreme circumstances I guess (like GTA6 breaking records).
YT views and like ratio are worth discussing in terms of gauging interest. While I agree about repeatedly bringing them up, no discussion about them seems short sighted.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe WB learns the right lesson here and stops trying to make Suicide Squad a fucking thing. Nobody wants it. Fucking stop.

SilentEagle

Jan 9, 2021
Sad too see this outcome from the studio who changed "Licensed games are bad." narrative. I am definitely not happy with where current AAA industry is going. Didn't devs see the success of Elden Ring, Baldur's Gate III? And failure of Anthem, Fallout 76, Avengers?

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Why? Let them die and be free from WB and their stupidity.

What the?

If Rocksteady dies, the studio closes down, and now we have hundreds more jobless people, in an industry where it's currently really tough to find a job. That would be an awful thing to happen or wish for.

Also, Rocksteady is an incredible team, that was likely just a bit out of their depth on this one project. They absolutely deserve to keep making games, even under Warner Brothers (Warner was an incredible publisher up until recently, so hopefully they find a great direction for Rocksteady that plays to their strengths).

If Warner is still trying to force Rocksteady to make GAAS games, perhaps they can find a way to incorporate some GAAS features into an Arkham Knight sequel or prequel. Considering Knight currently has like 20x the active player base after years of zero updates, that sounds like a smart move to me. Serve the market with a sequel to an excellent, highly in demand series. Make it open world and highly repayable just like the other games in the series. Sell cosmetics, and feed players with extra content to keep them playing.

SilentStorm

Apr 14, 2019
Both of those numbers are insane. I guess I can't really say anything because I didn't buy either game, but the Avengers and the Suicide Squad are two very popular IP these days. PC / PS5 / Xbox have a huge combined market, and only 150 people are legitimately enjoying it.

They should use the art assets for something else tbh. I know that's not how games are generally made, but they gotta find a way to make them cheaper to make.

Imagine if a Garry's Mod / Thingiverse-esque platform for commercial game dev really took off, and all the textures and 3D models made for this game could find life in something with a better hook
I think an issue is that it's actually two big IP's which people seem to ignore, only you play as the characters from the IP that is a lot less iconic and popular, one based on villains, not only that, but you then kill the heroes of that very much more popular and iconic IP, who for the most part spend the entire game brainwashed so you don't really interact with them.

Just saying, from Suicide Squad, only Harley Quinn has a cartoon and comics, the Justice League...each member has several comic books, and more tv show and movie appearances than anyone from Suicide Squad.

And the Justice League haven't had a proper game in ages, closest is Injustice 2 where Superman is evil and it's a fighting game, and they have cooler abilities or gadgets than the Suicide Squad...so i bet a few wondered why the hell the game wasn't about them instead.

bayonetta

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Nah…that's actually the two areas where it excelled. High production cutscenes that were entertaining to watch and work towards. The gameplay loop is also fantastic.

Bummer that no one wanted the game or couldn't handle fictional characters getting killed.
the story was boring compare to previous Arkham games . its even worse than Gotham knights and I hate Gotham nights ending. the good thing was that the game was short

gameplay wise its reminded me of Agents of Mayhem which wasn't that great to begin with
+ bad gfx and glitches.
and after finishing Suicide Squad, I have added Rocksteady to "wait for sale/bargain bin" tier because I wasted 99 fucking dollars on this shit.

but in the end its my opinion so
lets agree to disagree

Ant_17

Oct 28, 2017
Greece
What the?

If Rocksteady dies, the studio closes down, and now we have hundreds more jobless people, in an industry where it's currently really tough to find a job. That would be an awful thing to happen or wish for.

Also, Rocksteady is an incredible team, that was likely just a bit out of their depth on this one project. They absolutely deserve to keep making games, even under Warner Brothers (Warner was an incredible publisher up until recently, so hopefully they find a great direction for Rocksteady that plays to their strengths).

If Warner is still trying to force Rocksteady to make GAAS games, perhaps they can find a way to incorporate some GAAS features into an Arkham Knight sequel or prequel. Considering Knight currently has like 20x the active player base after years of zero updates, that sounds like a smart move to me. Serve the market with a sequel to an excellent, highly in demand series. Make it open world and highly repayable just like the other games in the series. Sell cosmetics, and feed players with extra content to keep them playing.
You are asking for a slow death. Layoffs every game that fails. So instead of them dying with 1 bad game, they die with 5 bad games under their belt.
And WB doesn't care that some people are playing the old game. They are looking at other GAAS games.

Listai

50¢ - "This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
I want a refund

I didn't buy the game sure - but I read about it a lot and even watched some of a trailer and somehow I feel ripped off.

thethickofit

Feb 1, 2018
My understanding of the economics is that a successful live service game makes so much money that it's worth 10-20 failures ("high-beta"). Which is really unfortunate for people who want to just see good developers make great single-player games. Really sucks all around.

EvaUnit787

Aug 6, 2023
Hey at least you can know everyone and everyone can know you! They should just make it one happy server family.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
joker did more for MK than he did for SS buy a magnitude of about 5000%

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
Sad too see this outcome from the studio who changed "Licensed games are bad." narrative. I am definitely not happy with where current AAA industry is going. Didn't devs see the success of Elden Ring, Baldur's Gate III? And failure of Anthem, Fallout 76, Avengers?

They also see the massive amount of money that Fallout 76 (It's still alive and doing pretty well, all things considered), Fortnite, Destiny, et cetera do. Hell, two random ass MP games nobody knew or gave a damn about in January, Palworld and Helldivers just absolutely rocked the world (HD II absolutely styling all over Suicide Squad).

You can't just say "Look at these two absolutely amazing, once-in-a-generation single player games and these three failed live services, one of which did have a turnaround", and act like actually replicating BGIII or ER's success is any less a pipe dream than thinking Suicide Squad could've been the next Fortnite.

You can make absolute bank if you have a successful AAA single player. But you can also make absolute bank to an insane degree if you have a successful AAA live service. That's the thing, we all like SP, but that's nothing like a sure bet either. EA resurrected Dead Space off of RE's pivot back to AAA horror... and apparently killed it off because AAA horror only works if you're Capcom. Game dev is an inherently risky business--yes, there was a much safer path for Rocksteady to do (Make Arkham 4/5), but they wanted to make an MP shooter according to Schrier, and DC wanted that sweet DCU brand synergy.

Joffy

Oct 30, 2017
It's also £3.49 on cdkeys right now which is outrageous for a 2 month old AAA title

Edit: oops not any more, maybe that was a mistake earlier this evening

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
You are asking for a slow death. Layoffs every game that fails. So instead of them dying with 1 bad game, they die with 5 bad games under their belt.
And WB doesn't care that some people are playing the old game. They are looking at other GAAS games.

In this day and age, a studio that gets to make 5 games could mean they keep their doors open for another 25-30 years. That is a great thing, I'm not sure why you would advocate against that. Also, there is nothing to say that Rocksteady is in any phase of slow death. Wishing for one of the greatest studios of all time to shut their doors because they had one misstep seems like an odd position to take. Imagine if IO Interactive just shut down and stopped trying after Kane a Lynch did poorly. We would have never gotten the incredible new Hitman trilogy. Now they are one of the most acclaimed studios in the industry. Rocksteady is incredible at making narrative focused single player games. I think it's best to hope they get to learn from their mistakes here and come out swinging on their next title.

But hey, you are free to feel how you like, even if I feel your frustration is misplaced. I could understand someone hoping that Rocksteady goes independent, but I would personally never wish for a studio like that to just shut down. I assume your real beef here should be with Warner, not Rocksteady.

Ant_17

Oct 28, 2017
Greece
In this day and age, a studio that gets to make 5 games could mean they keep their doors open for another 25-30 years. That is a great thing, I'm not sure why you would advocate against that. Also, there is nothing to say that Rocksteady is in any phase of slow death. Wishing for one of the greatest studios of all time to shut their doors because they had one misstep seems like an odd position to take. Imagine if IO Interactive just shut down and stopped trying after Kane a Lynch did poorly. We would have never gotten the incredible new Hitman trilogy. Now they are one of the most acclaimed studios in the industry. Rocksteady is incredible at making narrative focused single player games. I think it's best to hope they get to learn from their mistakes here and come out swinging on their next title.

But hey, you are free to feel how you like, even if I feel your frustration is misplaced. I could understand someone hoping that Rocksteady goes independent, but I would personally never wish for a studio like that to just shut down. I assume your real beef here should be with Warner, not Rocksteady.
I am just done clinging to things that don't exist. I want them to work in a better place, you want them stuck with WB.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
no its not even close no
I mean, it could very well be. We don't have sales numbers, and UK salaries are lower which might mitigate the budget, but this game was in development for seven years and Warner Bros. said it fell short of their expectations. By the numbers (expenses vs revenues), it's perfectly reasonable to guess that this is one of the biggest flops in video game history. Remember, video games are significantly more expensive to make in 2024 than they were in previous decades, so the biggest flops are more likely to happen in modern times.

Miller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it could very well be. We don't have sales numbers, and UK salaries are lower which might mitigate the budget, but this game was in development for seven years and Warner Bros. said it fell short of their expectations. By the numbers (expenses vs revenues), it's perfectly reasonable to guess that this is one of the biggest flops in video game history. Remember, video games are significantly more expensive to make in 2024 than they were in previous decades, so the biggest flops are more likely to happen in modern times.

From what I've been told, the game sold terribly on PC and Xbox, but did okay on PS5. It also had no legs, and PS5 sales fell off a cliff in week 2. There really hasn't been any noticeable uptick since. Overall, the game's market performance has bottomed out their worst case scenario.

It also spent a long time in development, apparently owing to the IP pivot. And they spent a boatload on marketing initiatives that frequently hurt more than helped. I can't speculate on where it stands against other titles, I'm not that well-versed in industry goings-on, but it's undoubtedly a disaster for WB.

SilentEagle

Jan 9, 2021
They also see the massive amount of money that Fallout 76 (It's still alive and doing pretty well, all things considered), Fortnite, Destiny, et cetera do. Hell, two random ass MP games nobody knew or gave a damn about in January, Palworld and Helldivers just absolutely rocked the world (HD II absolutely styling all over Suicide Squad).

You can't just say "Look at these two absolutely amazing, once-in-a-generation single player games and these three failed live services, one of which did have a turnaround", and act like actually replicating BGIII or ER's success is any less a pipe dream than thinking Suicide Squad could've been the next Fortnite.

You can make absolute bank if you have a successful AAA single player. But you can also make absolute bank to an insane degree if you have a successful AAA live service. That's the thing, we all like SP, but that's nothing like a sure bet either. EA resurrected Dead Space off of RE's pivot back to AAA horror... and apparently killed it off because AAA horror only works if you're Capcom. Game dev is an inherently risky business--yes, there was a much safer path for Rocksteady to do (Make Arkham 4/5), but they wanted to make an MP shooter according to Schrier, and DC wanted that sweet DCU brand synergy.
I am not sure about Fallout 76 sales but according to this https://gamerant.com/bethesda-games-best-selling-ranked/ the game had 1.4 million sales in 2018. Which is very low compared to other BGS hits like Skyrim and Fallout 4.

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I mean, it could very well be. We don't have sales numbers, and UK salaries are lower which might mitigate the budget, but this game was in development for seven years and Warner Bros. said it fell short of their expectations.

Rocksteady are based in London though, where salaries (and cost of living) are as high as the UK gets. Probably still not squaring up to a Silicon Valley joint in terms of cost, but...

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
no its not even close no
I mean probably ain't wrong, 250 developers based in London, with a game development time of roughly 6 years. Plus marketing budget and now how much it is costing them to upkeep and develop more seasonal content for how little many are playing. No doubt at the end of its life it will be one of the biggest flops, both profits and opportunity cost.