• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
Going out sad. 100 players some mere months after release is unbelievable for a project this large in scope, with this kind of developer attached, and with the DC IP.

syndicalist

Oct 25, 2017
I unlocked Joker, played a few days, and haven't felt a need to go back. There's just not enough to do, as fun as the game is. I say it in every thread, but I truly liked the game and want them to finish the story eventually. The loop just doesn't work for what they tried to do. It's quite a baffling game.

DesVoeux

Dec 16, 2023
I mean, it could very well be. We don't have sales numbers, and UK salaries are lower which might mitigate the budget, but this game was in development for seven years and Warner Bros. said it fell short of their expectations. By the numbers (expenses vs revenues), it's perfectly reasonable to guess that this is one of the biggest flops in video game history. Remember, video games are significantly more expensive to make in 2024 than they were in previous decades, so the biggest flops are more likely to happen in modern times.
I think that's why there is so much interest in the failure of this game. You had a prestige studio with comic book IP that spent seven years making something that seems to have completely bombed. Some of their staff got very snippy on social media when the reviews weren't glowing and then, since it's a live service, publicly they have to be, "Uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?"

Anyway, looking forward to a long read by someone on what exactly happened here.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
I am not sure about Fallout 76 sales but according to this https://gamerant.com/bethesda-games-best-selling-ranked/ the game had 1.4 million sales in 2018. Which is very low compared to other BGS hits like Skyrim and Fallout 4.

Part of it is brand synergy with the show, but they just announced a million daily players within the past week. But for a "dead" live service game, it's consistently put out content and expansions over the past six years, which is way better than Anthem or Avengers. Yeah, it wasn't Skyrim, but it's hardly Anthem, either.

Rolodzeo

Nov 10, 2017
Spain, EU
no its not even close no

I mean, as an AAA title that was ages in development, its budget must've been quite high. And, apparently, it cratered. Hard. And don't forget that they need to spend even more money keeping the servers online and supporting the game, at least for now. If this isn't one the biggest failures in this industry ever, I honestly don't know what could be.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
A game that was late to market in every facet. Even The Avengers came during a time of gaas and dlc fatigue, then compound that with superhero fatigue, multiverse fatigue, live service fatigue, brand fatigue and you're screwed

ultraluna

Jun 3, 2020
I mean, it could very well be. We don't have sales numbers, and UK salaries are lower which might mitigate the budget, but this game was in development for seven years and Warner Bros. said it fell short of their expectations. By the numbers (expenses vs revenues), it's perfectly reasonable to guess that this is one of the biggest flops in video game history. Remember, video games are significantly more expensive to make in 2024 than they were in previous decades, so the biggest flops are more likely to happen in modern times.
its an honor to be fact checked by you jason 🫡

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
People know what these games are now. They are games designed to take as much money from you as possible. People don't like being nickel and dimed. They don't want to play those kinds of games anymore unless they are the TOP game in that genre. I certainly want no part of a $60 game filled with microtransactions. I have plenty of other options that give me more value for my money.

Hopefully the live service trend dies off and companies go back to making games that are not centered around microtransactions.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
Honestly, they should have dropped the base price to $30 after the first month. Just constantly try to drive players towards reconsidering the game and hope it takes off as a bargain title. Better than just dying on the vine like they're doing now.

DesVoeux

Dec 16, 2023
Honestly, they should have dropped the base price to $30 after the first month. Just constantly try to drive players towards reconsidering the game and hope it takes off as a bargain title. Better than just dying on the vine like they're doing now.
I struggle to understand why they have been so stubborn about cutting the price. It's only been on sale once on Steam since launch, and I think on consoles they've only ever put the Deluxe Edition on sale. It's a live service game, you should be trying to get it in as many people's hands as possible! Helldivers is a better game in pretty much every way, yet it's also $30 cheaper. I can only assume that Suicide Squad cost so much to make that the bean counters can't bring themselves to permanently and significantly lower the price.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
I struggle to understand why they have been so stubborn about cutting the price. It's only been on sale once on Steam since launch, and I think on consoles they've only ever put the Deluxe Edition on sale. It's a live service game, you should be trying to get it in as many people's hands as possible! Helldivers is a better game in pretty much every way, yet it's also $30 cheaper. I can only assume that Suicide Squad cost so much to make that the bean counters can't bring themselves to permanently and significantly lower the price.

Totally agree. But yeah, it seems like a strategy destined to only worsen this game's failure. Like at least making a risky pricing play gives them a CHANCE at turning things around, albeit slim. But sticking to their guns means there is no way this doesn't end up as massive financial loss and the servers getting shut down in roughly a year.

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
This has to be one of the biggest bombs ever in videogame history.
given how much it must have cost to work on while there was nearly a decade of only it being worked on and not yet generating revenue, and how few people are playing to put money back into it, it might honestly be. I guess FF14 was maybe worse considering it affected every other game they were working on?

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
It's really funny that this game has way higher stakes than the avengers game which was "get the team back together and stop a mad scientist"

Yes! The $70 price point increase might go down as the one of the worst, short sighted decisions in gaming history since so many games that would guaranteed hits last Gen are bombing

It seems that this was the last straw for casual consumers

Helldivers was smart with the price point since $40 is cheaper enough for people to go "sure, why not?"

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
how much talent drain did rocksteady suffer from though? i dont think they can make a game as good as arkham city again even if WB let them.
Exactly my thought. A game studio is not some static entity. It's made of people and depending on talent churn, it could be entirely different company after a few years. There are always key people that define how a game is made. When they are gone, it's unlikely they can recapture that. It's why many people are disappointed in studios like bioware. In reality, the vast majority of the people who worked on the original mass effect are no longer there.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
I liked the Arkham games but didn't know this was anything to do with them (don't follow the news that much). Then when my brother told me about what kind of game it was and what happens in it I'm like "That sounds so stupid, why would anyone want that?"

Guess no one did?

Think of the money/time that went into that big a misstep. Yikes. They only have themselves to blame though, someone got something very wrong.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
It's really funny that this game has way higher stakes than the avengers game which was "get the team back together and stop a mad scientist"

Well, to be fair by the end of the DLC/post game content, the actual plot of Avengers shifts to a world ending event against the Kree which they'd already failed to stop once... Its just that the plot never gets the payoff it needs because the game was axed after we got the ace Black Panther chapter.

Honestly, same is probably happening to SS, just in a more sped up time frame - as in the post game plot about
stopping the other Braniacs and apparently saving the real JLA
will likely be nixed before it sees its finale.
Doesnt help the next couple of seasons dont really have any heavy hitter new characters added. Deathstroke is so painfully far away. You'll be counting active Steam users on two hands by the time he's finally available at this rate.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Game runs pretty badly on PC. I bought it willing to give it a shot, but had to refund after reaching the open world die to poor performance and stutters.

Shane they don't seem to have any plans to add frame gen, would go a long way.

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
image.png

Batman: Arkham Origins also has more players, but I omitted it since it was a different studio.
That one person who just refuses to upgrade to the City GOTY edition.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
In this day and age, a studio that gets to make 5 games could mean they keep their doors open for another 25-30 years. That is a great thing, I'm not sure why you would advocate against that. Also, there is nothing to say that Rocksteady is in any phase of slow death. Wishing for one of the greatest studios of all time to shut their doors because they had one misstep seems like an odd position to take. Imagine if IO Interactive just shut down and stopped trying after Kane a Lynch did poorly. We would have never gotten the incredible new Hitman trilogy. Now they are one of the most acclaimed studios in the industry. Rocksteady is incredible at making narrative focused single player games. I think it's best to hope they get to learn from their mistakes here and come out swinging on their next title.

But hey, you are free to feel how you like, even if I feel your frustration is misplaced. I could understand someone hoping that Rocksteady goes independent, but I would personally never wish for a studio like that to just shut down. I assume your real beef here should be with Warner, not Rocksteady.
Glad we have pro layoff arguments to balance things out:

jFO3XhP.gif

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed my 20-30 hours of it, but i also wasn't expecting to grind for endgame and stick around, much like most gaas games i buy it for the initial campaign and if its decent i will stay on longer, but if not ill glady not invest any money into the battlepasses e.t.c and move on.

Unfortunately, i am the exact opposite to the kind of gamer rocksteady/warner bros needs for it to be successful.

Incubuster

Oct 30, 2017
At this point, I don't feel like buying it at all in the future when it going to be shutdown and made useless.

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
I guess that's a wrap.

They'll try to sell it at a much lower price or play the F2P card. Or we'll see it soon on subscription services.

In any case, I can't see its servers stay open for more than 6 more months.

CandySTX

Mar 17, 2018
Scotland
Chase the GaAS - Go out on your ass.

For real, though. The suits who push these kind of games on everyone should be the ones who have to answer for such a flop. Not the developers who'll inevitably get laid off to make the money look good.

Deeply unserious industry.

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
As nuts as this is going to sound, this is the only Rocksteady games I've finished. And I own all the Arkham games. I actually had a pretty enjoyable time with the story. It didn't overstay its welcome and I like the gameplay. That being said, I would have really enjoyed it more if it were a plain Jane single player open world Ubi-thon. Still, I don't regret buying it.

neonxaos

Oct 29, 2017
I've been wondering for a long time if people actually care about Suicide Squad. I really enjoyed the Gunn movie, but that's because of the movie itself, not so much the lore. Personally, I have zero interest. But I have also soured on superhero stuff in general, even though I used to be massively into it.

Chippewa Barr