• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
This was done by a very good writer and journalist, Charles Duhigg.

https://www.wired.com/story/elon-musk-tesla-life-inside-gigafactory/

At about 10 o'clock on Saturday evening, an angry Musk was examining one of the production line's mechanized modules, trying to figure out what was wrong, when the young, excited engineer was brought over to assist him.

"Hey, buddy, this doesn't work!" Musk shouted at the engineer, according to someone who heard the conversation. "Did you do this?"

The engineer was taken aback. He had never met Musk before. Musk didn't even know the engineer's name. The young man wasn't certain what, exactly, Musk was asking him, or why he sounded so angry.

"You mean, program the robot?" the engineer said. "Or design that tool?"

"Did you fucking do this?" Musk asked him.

"I'm not sure what you're referring to?" the engineer replied apologetically.

"You're a fucking idiot!" Musk shouted back. "Get the fuck out and don't come back!"

The young engineer climbed over a low safety barrier and walked away. He was bewildered by what had just happened. The entire conversation had lasted less than a minute. A few moments later, his manager came over to say that he had been fired on Musk's orders, according to two people with knowledge of the situation. The engineer was shocked. He'd been working so hard. He was set to get a review from his manager the next week, and had been hearing only positive things. Instead, two days later, he signed his separation papers.

How the heck you treat your workers like this. This is psychopathic behavior.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Wow, so this guy really is an asshole, sorry ERA.

Thankfully by the time I can actually afford an EV, Tesla will be far from the only good brand on the market :)

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
And yet my ex gf has verbally fought with me over how awesome this dude is lmao.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
"You're a fucking idiot!" Musk shouted back. "Get the fuck out and don't come back!"

giphy.gif

SegFault

Oct 25, 2017
man this feels good for all the times people jumped on my case for correctly stating that Musk is a huge fucking piece of shit.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
legit don't know why people like this dude, other than the old bit about everyone being temporarily embarrassed millionaires
It's actually not that hard to see why. Americans love captains of industry. From the oil barons of old, to the Silicon Valley darlings of new.

The issue is that he's treats people like crap consistently. Plus, he is probably surrounded by Yes Men.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
So... I guess people admire him because... they want to be more horrible than he is? This is a guy you're supposed to look up to?

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
It's actually not that hard to see why. Americans love captains of industry. From the oil Barrons of old, the Silicon Valley darling of new.

The issue is that he's treats people like crap consistently. Plus, he is probably surrounded by Yes Men.

right, i don't know why we love them either, but that's for another leftist thread haha

Stick

Oct 30, 2017
Sounds like a piece of shit.. not hard to believe given the past year though. No one should be surprised.

Dec 31, 2017
He's quite the asshole here.

Regardless of how positively impactful his companies are, Musk seems rather unstable as a person, especially over the events of the past year or so. That's no way to treat anyone, let alone workers of your company.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Continues to amaze me just how easily you can get fired in the US.

saint

Oct 27, 2017
ppl like him because despite of this he has many positive ventures that are made to further humanity, and I do as well

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
right, i don't know why we love them either, but that's for another leftist thread haha
America is an immigrant nation, where business success, innovation, and success are our gods. It's not too hard to understand once you understand that. Tocqueville is probably the best to read for a good primer on the American spirit, which is still very pervasive.

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017
It's actually not that hard to see why. Americans love captains of industry. From the oil barons of old, to the Silicon Valley darlings of new.

Looks like he's surrounded by yes men because he's prone to firing anyone that's not. =/

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
I would like to read the article, but the text margins are unbearably narrow. I hate being subjected to shitty mobile web design on a non-mobile device :/

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
Did Jobs ever fire someone he had just met that he didn't even know the name of, blaming them for something that had nothing to do with them?

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
I would like to read the article, but the text margins are unbearably narrow. I hate being subjected to shitty mobile web design on a non-mobile device :/
Use Read It Later, Pocket, Instapaper, or Reading List if you're a Mac/iOS user. Strips all that formatting.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Did Jobs ever fire someone he had just met that he didn't even know the name of, blaming them for something that had nothing to do with them?
I would say Jobs was worse. Jobs always created folks like Elon. Jobs gave uber talented executives, especially in tech, a cover to be assholes as long as they produced results. And I say this as a big Apple fan, but I also know the history.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
America is an immigrant nation, where business success, innovation, and success are our gods. It's not too hard to understand once you understand that. Tocqueville is probably the best to read for a good primer on the American spirit, which is still very pervasive.

a few posts in & i was kinda hoping you'd gathered i'm very much american and recognize the social reasons we do this, my question wasn't so much a normative one as it was ethical. i appreciate the sentiment but the post was largely rhetorical.
by nature, these "captains" - not unlike the megalomaniacs that seek office - are horrible people, for reasons i would think obvious (reinforcing of hiearachies & punishment, upward redistribution & hoarding of wealth, consolidation of power often in the interest of business & white supremacy, etc), but here we are

we shouldn't be surprised when said folks act like this, but if it helps more folks see who they really are & how they feel about their respective laborers, i guess that's something

Calde

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
ppl like him because despite of this he has many positive ventures that are made to further humanity, and I do as well

He hasn't made any positive ventures to further humanity, however. He's had remarkable luck marketing himself that way without successes to show for it.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I would say Jobs was worse. Jobs always created folks like Elon. Jobs gave uber talented executives, especially in tech, a cover to be assholes as long as they produced results. And I say this as a big Apple fan, but I also know the history.
Jobs seem to be an all around shitty person, he treated his family like crap. At least we haven't heard Musk do that. On the flipside Musk seems a lot more vocal and unstable

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Nah, I'm using Windows. I've tried Firefox and Chrome, but the webpage looks horrible on both.
Yeah, the other services are platform agnostic. Only Reading List is Apple only. But they do the same thing. They're great if you like to read long form stuff online.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
legit don't know why people like this dude, other than the old bit about everyone being temporarily embarrassed millionaires

Don't you know?! He's a mega science god that is supposed to take us into space if we submit to him!

As some people in the old place and here would want you to believe, anyways.

Pirates of the silicon Valley sure implied he did, but while i don't doubt it, it could be one of the fictionalized bits to make the story more interesting.

Oct 27, 2017
I still think it would be terrible and a great loss if he wasn't alive anymore. I think that about a lot of billionaires. Would be an incredible loss. I'm feeling sad about it even now.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
This was done by a very good writer and journalist, Charles Duhigg.

https://www.wired.com/story/elon-musk-tesla-life-inside-gigafactory/

At about 10 o'clock on Saturday evening, an angry Musk was examining one of the production line's mechanized modules, trying to figure out what was wrong, when the young, excited engineer was brought over to assist him.

"Hey, buddy, this doesn't work!" Musk shouted at the engineer, according to someone who heard the conversation. "Did you do this?"

The engineer was taken aback. He had never met Musk before. Musk didn't even know the engineer's name. The young man wasn't certain what, exactly, Musk was asking him, or why he sounded so angry.

"You mean, program the robot?" the engineer said. "Or design that tool?"

"Did you fucking do this?" Musk asked him.

"I'm not sure what you're referring to?" the engineer replied apologetically.

The young engineer climbed over a low safety barrier and walked away. He was bewildered by what had just happened. The entire conversation had lasted less than a minute. A few moments later, his manager came over to say that he had been fired on Musk's orders, according to two people with knowledge of the situation. The engineer was shocked. He'd been working so hard. He was set to get a review from his manager the next week, and had been hearing only positive things. Instead, two days later, he signed his separation papers.

How the heck you treat your workers like this. This is psychopathic behavior.
This. Pathetic.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Flying off the handle, working too many hours, lack of sleep, a total prick. Bad mix.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You left out this great nugget

"I could go and buy one of the islands in the Bahamas and, uh, turn it into my personal fiefdom," he told reporters in 1999 as they observed him taking delivery of a $1 million McLaren F1 sports car. "But I'm much more interested in trying to build and create a new company." (Musk later crashed the car.)

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
I still think it would be terrible and a great loss if he wasn't alive anymore. I think that about a lot of billionaires. Would be an incredible loss. I'm feeling sad about it even now.
I think he has very well documented talents and still think he willl be a net positive overall.

However, he is horrible with people. Jobs was similar.

Yet, we're in a different era, no pun intended, people do care how public figures treat others. The President notwistanding lol. Not only that, but we have more competition for talent. Would many engineers now want to work for Tesla after reading these antics?

Likability is very important now, especially in the social media age.