• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Healthy_Gamer

Jan 18, 2023
Purchased a OG N64 console to replay Wave Rave due to the Digital Foundry water video and quickly realized how bad we had it with wires and short cables back in the day.

Any recommendations for a wireless N64 controller or extension cord that will work with a original Nintendo 64 controller?

Chilecano

Jun 11, 2022
There's this receiver you can use with the Switch n64 controller.

8bitmods.com

N64 BlueRetro Controller Receiver with Memory Pak (Original Grey)

Did you ever want to play your Nintendo 64 games with a wireless controller, but couldn't find a viable solution? You don't need to wait any longer! The N64 BlueRetro Controller Adapter is a an adapter for the Nintendo 64 that allows you to connect bluetooth controllers like the PS4, PS5, XBOX...

There's also the 8bitdo kit converter for the n64 controller.

shop.8bitdo.com

8BitDo Mod Kit for Original N64 Controller

8Bitdo is a premier 3rd party video game hardware company with a special focus on retro themed game controllers. Renowned for producing the highest quality retro controllers on the market.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I have 4 wireless controllers for my n64 and they work great. Occasionally one disconnects but that's over hours of 4 player sessions.

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
Official 64 switch online controller plus a bluetooth adapter is one way to get a new official joystick

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
I use the 8BitDo Mod Kit for Original N64 Controller and it's fantastic.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
The Retro Fighters wireless Brawler 64 is a simple, solid option if you prefer a modern shaped grip. No rumble and I wish it had some more heft to it though, it feels very light in the hands. The stick has a shorter throw than the original controller (like most modern sticks) so it tends to feel a bit overly sensitive, but it works.

If you want to go the BlueRetro adapter route that opens the door to any bluetooth controller. For something in the original form-factor the official NSO N64 controller feels amazing! Really premium, rumble is fully functional and you can just tap a button to swap to virtual memory pak. Or you could mod an original controller for wireless with the 8bitdo modkit (can even choose whether to keep the original stick box or swap it out for their Gamecube style replacement), though the 8bitdo modkit frustratingly doesn't support rumble outside of the Switch. But I love my original controllers so it's cool nonetheless.

352300605_6392071244185178_8446124452789631544_n.jpg

As far as BlueRetro adapters go there are the single-port dongles as someone posted above, or if you plan on having a full 4-player setup you can find multi-cabled BlueRetro receivers which save on power consumption and avoid the interference you get from having a bunch of dongles all paired at the same. I have one of these from GrechTech for N64, tucked away in a drawer on extension cables.

20221212_195212.jpg
20221213_002428.jpg

Only issue is there's a longstanding BlueRetro issue with Switch controllers where pairing more than one at a time on a single unit causes unplayable latency and disconnects, so my current setup includes 1 NSO N64 controller along with 3 8bitdo N64 controller modkits and everything plays nicely together.

More info than you probably wanted, but there you go!

Oct 27, 2017
There's this receiver you can use with the Switch n64 controller.

8bitmods.com

N64 BlueRetro Controller Receiver with Memory Pak (Original Grey)

Did you ever want to play your Nintendo 64 games with a wireless controller, but couldn't find a viable solution? You don't need to wait any longer! The N64 BlueRetro Controller Adapter is a an adapter for the Nintendo 64 that allows you to connect bluetooth controllers like the PS4, PS5, XBOX...

There's also the 8bitdo kit converter for the n64 controller.

shop.8bitdo.com

8BitDo Mod Kit for Original N64 Controller

8Bitdo is a premier 3rd party video game hardware company with a special focus on retro themed game controllers. Renowned for producing the highest quality retro controllers on the market.

I've had pretty bad luck with that combination. The 8bitdo kit works sometimes, but other times the buttons swap around randomly, and I have to disconect and reconect several times to get it working. I'm tempted to just use the stick by itself and replace the rest of the controller with the stock wired parts.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
I've had pretty bad luck with that combination. The 8bitdo kit works sometimes, but other times the buttons swap around randomly, and I have to disconect and reconect several times to get it working. I'm tempted to just use the stick by itself and replace the rest of the controller with the stock wired parts.
Update your BlueRetro adapter to the latest firmware and set the switch on your 8bitdo pak to D-input mode. When the 8bitdo modkit was first released there was an issue where buttons would map incorrectly in BlueRetro on every reconnect after the initial pairing. That's been fixed. Works fine now; just a bummer that it seems we'll never get rumble functionality.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
how sensitive you are to input delays ?

Because some of the slowdown on n64 games can make a small input delay much more noticiable