• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Witcher trilogy vs. Mass Effect trilogy

• Witcher

Votes: 52 49.5%
  • Mass Effect

Votes: 43 41.0%
  • Too close to call

Votes: 10 9.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
Let's get a poll here. Which of these trilogies is best? (I'm excluding Andromeda)

JK-Money

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mass Effect has consistency across all games

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Well, Witcher got progressively better with each title both mechanically and with its writing. It also didn't shit the bed completely by the last game. So seems like a pretty easy win for Geralt.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
mass effect is godlike until the last 5 minutes.

Witcher is... uneven.

But Witcher 3 with extensions can take on the entire ME saga by itself and that would be a close call in my book

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mass Effect is the better series, but Witcher 3 is the best game of them all, with Mass Effect 2 slightly behind.

Witcher 3 > Mass Effect 2 > Mass Effect > Witcher 2 > Mass Effect 3 > Witcher > Mass Effect: Andromeda.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Mass Effect is a consistently better series while Witcher is a series that starts off kind of bad before progressively becoming better, culminating with the excellent Witcher 3

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The Witcher series had a lame 2nd entry. However, Mass Effect is in a similar boat with a weak final game.

About both are even actually.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
Witcher has higher highs and lower lows whereas Mass Effect was basically a sci fi shooter for 3 games.

I dunno, I'd say ME because Witcher 1 is legit awful.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mass Effect trilogy defines modern day disappointment. You can watch it fall apart in real time as you progress through them all, especially the writing and world building quality once mac walters took over.

The Witcher series though only gets better overall as you keep playing. Although I sort of miss the game of thrones-like story from TW2.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Witchers are great but super uneven

Mass effect is stellar throughout, minus the poor combat of 1 and the dissapoitinf ending of 3

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
There's a wide berth between Witcher 1 and Witcher 3 in a lot of ways.

Mass Effect, beyond the equipment management and tightening up the shooting between 1 and 2, are all still very similar and consistent.

Mass Effect, even with some stuff in Witcher 3 that is above the rest.

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I found the characters and world of Mass Effect more engaging than Witcher series, and had more fun with the gun/biotic combat in the later games than I ever did with Geralt's abilities.

Dark Souls trilogy is above both though obviously.

Deleted member 3925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a series, Mass Effect is consistently better, but it falls apart at the end.

The Witcher improves with each entry, and 3 is one of the greatest games ever made.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Love the sci fi setting of Mass Effect a lot more, although Witcher 3 as a standalone game is arguably the best of the six.

If I could play only one game for the first time, Witcher 3.

If I could only own and play one of the two, it would be Mass Effect although I'd choose AC1-2-B-R over even ME.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Mass Effect is much more consistent. Witcher 3 is arguably the best game of the 6, but I would put Witcher 1 and 2 below the Mass Effect Trilogy.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
see i think the witcher games are better (with the third being my GOAT), but i was just more invested in mass effect's world and characters.

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't Dragon Age be a better comparison? Though I suppose the games aren't a trilogy like ME

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't finished Witcher 3 but my understanding is that it finishes well.

Mass Effect 3 was an utter train wreck.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Mass effect easily. For Witcher you can easily skip those first two games. Hell the majority here haven't even played Witcher 1. Compared to Mass Effect where playing all 3 is easy to do and well recommended. I suppose you can chalk up the ending of 3 as lowering things. But strictly trilogy vs trilogy. There's no real contest in my eyes.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Witcher 1 is a bit of a mess. A mid 00s Polish PC game in all its janky purity.

But I would say W2 and 3 and much better then ME2 and 3.

Hard to argue that Witcher got better and better and Mass effect, well, didn't.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Having to force myself to finish Witcher 3. Never finished 1 or 2.

Never had that issue with the ME series.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's Witcher, no contest. It improved, changed and always stood true to its atmosphere resulting in Witcher 3 being one of the all time greats. It was a satisfying series that rewarded fans of the source material and those who played since the first game.

Mass Effect lost every single bit of its heart starting from when it went to EA. Mass Effect 2 was great from inertia. Mass Effect 3 was kind of inexcusable and barely recognizable as part of the same series when put next to the first game. I can't imagine any fans of the original being satisfied with how it ended.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Mass Effect and it's not even close tbh but I'm sure the situation on how those two franchises ended and their studios current reputation will effect the vote .

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Witcher 1 is yuck. i do love watcher 2 and 3, though. Dragon age killed it for me when i finally got a chance to play Witcher 1.

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
Witcher 3 is better than all the Mass Effect games, but the Mass Effect games are better than Witcher 1/2

That botched ending if what makes this close, but it's Mass Effect for me.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
This is like comparing the taste of apples to oranges.

I like em both by the way.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
For me, there's no question, it's the Witcher trilogy. First game has amazing atmosphere, second game a fantastic story, and everybody's familiar with what TW3 brings to the table.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Mass Effect as a series is better than The Witcher. Witcher 1 is atrocious and parts of Witcher 2 are pretty awful. If you're only judged based on how the series ended, then Witcher 3 is obviously the winner but that's ignoring the entire rest of the series.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Considering we had this thread in February, by the same OP, and it's a plainly unproductive question, this thread is closed to further replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.