MBABuddha

Banned
Dec 10, 2019
I'm going to be upgrading around March in anticipation of Cyberpunk. G-sync monitor, 2070, the whole thing. I already have 2 SSDs.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In a weird place with GTX 1070, being a bit better than Xbox One X but still handicapping settings a bit. Really want to upgrade it but god the prices are ridiculous right now D:

I also got spoiled by how big a jump GTX 960 to 1070 was, and I got the 1070 for £349 in 2017 which seemed like a good deal. I desperately want to upgrade again but it's hard to justify paying near double that for not as big an upgrade, d'oh
This is my situation exactly. The only worthwhile upgrade is a 2080 Super or something like that. I want to wait for the 3 series, but they're saying that's going to be 2021.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Not for a while. I'm fairly content with my 1070/6600k setup. I'll probably upgrade when games aren't able to be played at 60fps consistently at 1080p or 900p, since that's basically my minimum (using a 1080p/144hz monitor)

pompo

Oct 25, 2017
Probably not for 2+ years. I'm fine with my 8600k 1070ti set up right now. I don't feel like the current high-end cards are worth the price for me at the moment.

halfjoey

Nov 26, 2017
I want a brand new build for Cyberpunk but i also want Nvidia Ampere. I'm torn. I might wait until July to build and maybe by then we'll have new Zen 3 and new Nvidia cards.

If I can't wait then it might be Zen 2 or new Intel and 2070S or some similar.

It would be nice if each company released something new before Cyberpunk.

Rumors now say Intel won't release Comet Lake S until April...

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Probably around 2021. I have a 6700k and a 1070.

The reality is that the PS5 and Series X will significantly raise the bar for PC requirements for the same games.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Several years in when I can get a PC that can run games at close to max at a reasonable price.

I imagine that will take longer this gen though with the consoles starting at a higher baseline.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
This is my situation exactly. The only worthwhile upgrade is a 2080 Super or something like that. I want to wait for the 3 series, but they're saying that's going to be 2021.
I don't believe that 2021 date, it will probably be late summer or early fall 2020 for the 3 series, but they want everyone to keep buying their current lineup so they don't want to hint at 2020.

Drakhyrr

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I just upgrade the GPU every two gens. The cpu, well, I keep it for as long as it holds.

Just upgraded from a Gtx 970 + i5 3470 to Rtx 2070 + R5 3600, so the gpu should hold for 2 or 3 years, and the cpu, 4 or 5, though that may be shortened if there are significant advances in a shorter time span (which consoles may bring).

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Just built a new PC so i will probably upgrade my GPU in a few years then in another few years depending on where hardware is build a new one and go from there.

I imagine my CPU won't start bottlenecking me for 4-5 years so the only thing on my mind is maybe some more HDD's, new GPU, better ram in the next couple years.

the_bromo_tachi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Considering this PC is still only about a year old, I'll probably update the GPU within the next 2 years. The CPU won't be upgraded until after 3-4 years?

Oct 25, 2017
Went from a Ryzen 1600 to a 3600x on BF since it was so cheap. Decided to wait on the graphics card until things sort out. My RX580 still does 1080p stuff fine.

Oct 31, 2017
I plan to upgrade to the 30 series (?) Nvidia cards whenever those come out. I always wait to upgrade my PC after new consoles launch so I can guarantee my PC specs are much more powerful than whatever is in the consoles due to the fact I like to heavily mod games.

Zombie

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just upgraded to a 9700k and a 2080 Ti, I'll see how it stacks up once the next console generation games start rolling in, expecting to need to upgrade at least my GPU again by late 2021.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
For the first time in like 20 years I have absolutely no plans to upgrade my gaming PC in the near future. I built the one I have in early 2018. With the current state of consoles and how well they do most of the games I play, I may, for the first time in my gaming history, not upgrade a PC in the next generation of gaming.

Really strange to say. I say that despite the fact that this PC would probably only need a GPU upgrade at some point.

Currently do most of my gaming and media through my Xbox One X. Currently have HDR and 4K, so I don't see any need anytime soon. Only upgrade I may consider gaming wise is to the new Xbox, which will be cheaper than buying any GPU I normally buy.

Deleted member 19533

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
My PC is still doing well. I'll upgrade my video card when the RTX 3000 series(or whatever they call it.) comes out. The GTX 1080 still does the job good enough that I can skip the RTX 2000 series.

Specs right now:
Intel Core i7 8700k
GeForce GTX 1080
32GB DDR4
1TB Samsung 970 Evo
Nixeus 27" IPS 2560x1440 144hz Gsync compatible monitor.

halfjoey

Nov 26, 2017
If I build in April
AMD 3700X or Intel 10700k
RTX2070 Super

If I build in July
AMD 4700X or Intel 10700k
RTX3070 or RTX3080 (Or maybe RX6700?)

I'm hoping everything is released by then.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Add me to the list of people having doubts.
  • The price gap between console and PC gaming is widening as the performance gap narrows.
  • The quality of PC ports has been getting progressively worse as the generation goes on.
  • Epic muscling their way into the market and buying up exclusivity for games sucks.
  • The mass-exodus of a large portion of the PC gaming community from this site has been very disheartening.
When I look back at my upgrades this generation: a Ryzen 1700X system with 32 GB of RAM, a GTX 1070, a G-Sync monitor, and a Samsung NVMe SSD, I question whether it was worth the expense.
Looking back over this generation of games, I feel like there have been more games where I have been left disappointed in how they run than games I've been satisfied with.
Nearly every AAA release has had some major issue for me; whether that's a performance issue, or a control one. I'm still waiting for my next PC upgrade to play Dishonored 2, because maybe then I will be able to play it smoothly.
And of the games which have run well, most would probably have been fine on my previous i5-2500K/GTX 960 system.

Consoles don't offer the kind of gaming experience I want - too much control is taken away from the player.
But I don't know that PC gaming is offering the kind of experience I want any more either, despite the increasing costs.

The Steam library update also highlighted how big of a problem my library size/backlog has become, and it took some drastic measures to cull that to a reasonable size.
Despite having cut it down significantly and prioritized the games, lately I find myself reaching for the Switch where I only have to pick from a handful of titles when I want to play something.

Escaflow

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
When there's a GPU faster than 2080 Ti with RTX and cheaper than $800

Currently rocking Ryzen 3700x and 1080Ti , so there's no rush .

ZZMitch

Oct 26, 2017
I think I'm going to transition my PC (GTX 1080) to be a strategy game box and not upgrade for a long time. I bought a nice 4K TV earlier this year and have been thinking about transitioning back to Xbox after going PC near the end of the 360 era. Gamepass is another driving force behind that! So my next "upgrade" will probably be the Series X, which looks like it will out muscle my current PC. The PC will still get a lot of use though since I do love my Paradox/Civ games!

XenodudeX

Oct 25, 2017
Jacksonville, Florida
I have an i5 7600k and a RTX 2080 with 16gb. I really want to upgrade my cpu for Cyberpunk and to stay on par with the next gen consoles, so an 8 core CPU is probably what I need.

gameguy682

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Ontario, Canada
I already did a part upgrade earlier this year (my old rig didn't want to play VR). The only thing left to upgrade is the graphics card which I'm planning on doing when Nvidia releasesthe next generation cards (RTX 3080Ti or whatever)

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Hopefully if I manage to stay on a steady job trail I was thinking on doing a build in March, right before Cyberpunk, I'm not sure if I'm gonna get the new Xbox though since pretty much every game will come to PC, and I still have to get the ps5 for that sweet sweet Last of Us 2 :D

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
6700k and a 970 here has that 970 is show its age with dual 1080p screens. I want to go to at least 1 1440p screen at 120+hz for CP2077 so I guess I'll be upgrading at least to gpu and monitor next spring. Still waffling between 2070S and 5700 XT

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm going to transition my PC (GTX 1080) to be a strategy game box and not upgrade for a long time. I bought a nice 4K TV earlier this year and have been thinking about transitioning back to Xbox after going PC near the end of the 360 era. Gamepass is another driving force behind that! So my next "upgrade" will probably be the Series X, which looks like it will out muscle my current PC. The PC will still get a lot of use though since I do love my Paradox/Civ games!

If you care about performance/value that is going to be way for the next couple of years until GPU parts and their cost catch up. GPU prices are just silly, when min specs get pushed up, they will be forced to lower prices but that takes a bit, in 2021 maybe.

I'm hoping we can buy a 3060 RTX for like $300 that matches a 2080 Super performance with 8GB VRAM. That's what it takes to merely match console performance and I think we probably get it. Still if you were used to double the console performance with a midrange card, that's pretty far away.

CPU market is really good though, the value is immense if you are doing real work with your computer, it's been never better. HEDT PCs are just pointless now.

Resident Guru

Oct 28, 2017
Currently have a 9900k and 2080 Ti. Not sure if I want to get the next flagship Nvidia GPU or wait it out until 2021. I really should skip the next GPU generation as I will likely be buying both the new Xbox and PlayStation in 2020.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe 2021, maybe later, maybe never. Depends on how attractive next gen consoles are and when there are PC exclusives I care for that my current box can't run.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
I'll probably upgrade my 1080 for a 3060-70 next year to play 2019's games (I haven't touched any besides Sekiro) at 144fps but I'll wait until late 2021 or early 2022 for a full new build. No hurries here.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Getting a PS5 day one so my PC upgrade will wait till later. Still rocking an i7 2700k and upgraded my old geforce 560 to an rx480 a couple of years ago for vr along with an ssd. My next upgrade will have to be pretty significant though so we will see.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still learning about PC parts and I noticed a lot of people talking about the 3700X. Whats special to that cpu compared to the intel chips?

The 3700X is what next generation consoles are based on (same architecture, but lower clock speeds). It's not the best gaming CPU out on the market right now (Intel's 9700K and 9900K are on top in that regard), but when it comes to everything else like multi-tasking, video rendering / capturing / editing and other CPU-intensive applications you may use in the future - the 3700X is a beast. Check out some benchmarks and a review here:

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I have a 1080. I can't afford to upgrade right now, but chances are I'd wait for another generation of graphics cards anyway.

ZZMitch

Oct 26, 2017
If you care about performance/value that is going to be way for the next couple of years until GPU parts and their cost catch up. GPU prices are just silly, when min specs get pushed up, they will be forced to lower prices but that takes a bit, in 2021 maybe.

I'm hoping we can buy a 3060 RTX for like $300 that matches a 2080 Super performance with 8GB VRAM. That's what it takes to merely match console performance and I think we probably get it. Still if you were used to double the console performance with a midrange card, that's pretty far away.

CPU market is really good though, the value is immense if you are doing real work with your computer, it's been never better. HEDT PCs are just pointless now.

Yeah I am planning on upgrading my CPU (Ryzen 1600) soon (probably 3600). Seems like a smart idea since the prices are better and it will be best served for my productivity work and strategy games that are usually CPU heavy.

Oct 27, 2017

Bolded part of your post = pipe dream. We all know that won't happen unless AMD can crack the market with their next set of GPUs and light a fire under Nvidia's ass. Guess we'll see what AMD has to offer in 2020 with their CES presentation this coming January.