ChristianH94

Apr 14, 2019
dad74696-0cf1-11df-ab54-001cc4c03286.image_.jpg
I had that same image set as my avatar on some forum years ago and the more banned me for a day for "inciting traumatic material"

Dec 20, 2017
Can't tell if OP is yanking everyone's chain, but if Nintendo tried rebooting Mario using that Deviant Art there would be riots in the streets.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
I would imagine that most everyone on this forum [and around the world] has seen this movie. It came out in 2003 and as soon as I saw this scene, I knew exactly what famous scene/art they were referencing.

I'm just kind of curious to see how many of you can answer this correctly :)

And that correct answer is rooted in pop-culture - so I'm curious ResetEra - I love all of you; - what say you?

What famous video game/pop-culture reference is this scene depicting?

maxresdefault.jpg

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Why does Sony make so many third-person narrative action-adventure games? It's because they're the best at what they do and they stick with it. They have a niche and not a huge incentive to work outside of it.

Nintendo is the best at what THEY do. And as more games increase their focus on narrative and realism, Nintendo's place in the market gets more and more ensured. There is no reason for them to dramatically deviate, and I'm glad they don't. Narrative games are MY favorite, too, but there's an important place for the types of games Nintendo makes.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Not everything needs to be hyper-realistic and/or gritty. Plus, Nintendo's cartoony mascots and characters have such an astounding mindshare, it would be wild to turn them into generic, DeviantArt, throwaway models.

Vinx

Sep 9, 2019
I remember some years ago on a different message board someone made a topic "What if Zelda went open world?"

Majority of the posts were along the lines of "No, you're an idiot" and "Keep that Skyrim shit out of my Zelda"

Then Breath of the Wild happens and everyone loves it.

Even Nintendo games can change and evolve but people will respond very negatively if its presented as a hypothetical, if its an actual game then they will love it.
People are weird.

Suburban Thug

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Midwest
I know everyone is dog piling on the OP but I don't think it's crazy to think Switch might be on the back 9 of it's tour. I could see a successor in 1.5 years; depends on what Sony and Microsoft put out.

Sartho

Jan 9, 2018
Oh man. The thread title seemed familiar, but it wasn't until I saw those images that I remembered the old forum post. I read all the replies up til now, and I'm laughing my ass off.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I remember some years ago on a different message board someone made a topic "What if Zelda went open world?"

Majority of the posts were along the lines of "No, you're an idiot" and "Keep that Skyrim shit out of my Zelda"

Then Breath of the Wild happens and everyone loves it.

Even Nintendo games can change and evolve but people will respond very negatively if its presented as a hypothetical, if its an actual game then they will love it.
People are weird.
Yeah, that's a fair point. But I think it retained the tone and style of Zelda. I think people are less resistant to gameplay changes for Nintendo games than they are for stylistic and thematic changes.

This thread has got to be a parody of a gaming forum from 1998.
As long as Nintendo continues to be Nintendo, there will forever be a fresh generation of 20-something gamers asking when is Nintendo going to get grimdark already.

I really don't mean this as disrespect to the OP. It's just that the OP and like-minded people might want to consider a broader historical view of how this cycle always comes around again.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This has to be a troll thread.

Those sketches looooool.

How about letting Nintendo be Nintendo and let other companies make the cinematic games theyre good at.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
In all seriousnes, 2D Mario could use a big shake up. I mean im terms of presentation and ambition, definitely not making it "darker".

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Some of their other franchises do need a jumpstart of innovation or even just a game, but Mario and Zelda have absolutely evolved, just not in the way that everyone agrees with or is particularly focused on being a graphical powerhouse like the N64 days.

edit: Bamboozled

Oct 27, 2017
Switch 2 isn't happening until 2022 at the earliest. How is that "on the horizon"? Everything is on the horizon then.

nintendo said in early 2018 that they want switch to last longer than a normal gen, which is 5-6 years for them. So 2022, more likely 2023

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Era members need to stop trying to make old gaf memes work. Italian meal, Thor 2, I'm an expert, etc....

DXB-KNIGHT

Oct 27, 2017
Super Mario Man and the lost third brother.

Super Cyborg Princess Peach and the Mushroom Kingdom civil war. (An Interactive Cinematic experience )

Waluigi Stranding featuring Sean Penn as Waluigi directed by Michael Bay in his video game debut. Releasing also on PC.

Luigi : "The day everyone died but me."

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
No. I disagree. Perhaps your tastes have evolved beyond what Nintendo has to offer, but they have done a pretty damn job good job at dancing to the beat of their own drum and succeeding mightily.