• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
EDIT: Not really sure why people are acting like I think buying a PS4 at all is not worth it. I'm just getting increasingly frustrated with how small of an upgrade the Pro is compared to the Xbox One X. I know it has the games, but if I was just getting it for those games, given the choice now, I'd probably stick with a vanilla PS4. Comments like "nah I don't care about specs; just games" are irrelevant to the thread since it's specifically about console feature sets.

I should apologize for the badly worded title since the sentiment isn't explicitly about regretting getting it.

So to answer OPs question, yes, the One X makes me realize that the Pro is a bit half assed.

This would have been a better way to phrase the title. I convinced myself the Pro wasn't half assed, and now there's no denying it.

[Original OP]

Given I was not able to get a PS4 until earlier this year, it seemed like the obvious solution was to get the better version. I went all in. 2TB SSHD, new headset, and of course the Pro. As soon as HDR 4K monitors become reasonably priced, I'll be getting one so I can finally sit down and play Horizon, Ratchet and Clank, TLOU, GoW and eventually Spiderman in their full glory.

The reason I list those games is because I don't totally regret the PS4 Pro. It clearly has some benefits, and I know those games are going to look and play great, and anything to reduce load times is welcome for me.

I think it's also important to note that yes, it's a given. The Xbox One X coming out a year later and being $100 more means it will be more powerful. It will be closer to true 4K and often full 4K on some games. I can accept checker-boarding as a compromise. I don't any disillusions about the power.

I do have issue with the feature-set. The Xbox One X at launch has:

1. Dramatic improvement in performance from framerate to load times in all Xbox One games (And correct me if I'm wrong, but are the PS4 load time improvements not quite as good? Would like to know for sure). Microsoft went the extra mile and made sure literally every xbox game works with these improvements. Yes the amount of PS4 games that break in boost mode is small, but that amount of care is telling for me.
2. Forced 16AF (something that is big for me personally, and it benefits all 1080p users)
3. Downsampling on all games. No TLG or TLOU nonsense. Again this benefits all 1080p users (someone correct me if I'm wrong here).
4. Not only support for BC games, but some OG and Xbox 360 games get 4K patches themselves (is this precedented in consoles to this degree? I didn't even know some of these games could run at 4K without crashing. Viva Pinata 4K patch pls)
5. UHD Blu-ray player
6. Variable Refresh Rate, despite that right now being kind of niche on console. Microsoft just adds it because it's awesome.
7. [EDIT] Xbox One X is quieter than the OG Xbox One even. The PS4 Pro is just about as loud. If you are concerned about noise on xbox, you're not making a compromise with the X. With the Pro you are since you could get the quieter Slim.
8. [EDIT2] The X will soon support 1440p. Again. Maybe not necessary, but no reason the Pro couldn't do this.
9. I think a few other things I forgot.

All of these are things the PS4 Pro could have and should have included. They did get boost mode, but that wasn't even at launch, but I think the realized without it the PS4 Pro would be a pretty poor purchase for most people. and it's already a niche purchase. I can forgive some things like no VRR (who expected that?), but all of them?. Not having downsampling at a system level just pisses me off. They acted like this would be worth it to 1080p users. As a 1080p users, I can pretty confidently say it really isn't. Not worth the extra $100. Yeah, Nier Automata is 1080p instead of 900p, and Bloodborne performs slightly better. For a 4K user? Yeah, if you have the cash and still don't have a PS4, I can recommend it sure I guess. Otherwise? Ehhhhhhhhhhhh

I dunno. I'm super conflicted right now. I've enjoyed my time with the Pro for sure, but that nagging buyer's remorse is now just full-blown frustration at how on the ball Microsoft seems with the X. For me the overall feeling is, the PS4 Pro was pretty much as ehh-okay-that's-nice-I-guess as I expected. Everything Microsoft is doing is completely out of left field in a good way. 4K OG Xbox games? Oh...Oh! I...didn't even know they could do that. Sign me up!

EDIT: TL;DR:

I should mention I'm not going to be getting an Xbox One X. I don't have the money. I'm more just grumpy about how the PS4 Pro was handled verses how on the ball Microsoft is with the Xbox one X.

Anyway, thoughts?

Last edited:

Monty Mole

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After Tuesday my Pro will be for first party games only, but I have no regrets, Horizon ZD and Uncharted Lost Legacy both are a major step up in IQ compared to base PS4, and it will be the best way to play the future PS4 exclusives. But I'm not going to lie, the X is what I really wanted a year ago and I really can't wait to get it on Tuesday.

But this thread won't go well.

R dott B

Oct 27, 2017
They are both good purchases but if I was only thinking about Multiplat games then yeah that might suck.

Oct 25, 2017
My Pro delivers improved PSVR support, which is one of the main reasons I got it.
Most of the recent games I've played have Pro support, and there's a couple of old games I plan to get in next sale due to Boost Mode improvements.
I have a 4K TV, so the downsampling nonsense doesn't impact me.

I do wish it had a UHD Blu-ray player though.

OP
OP
Chettlar

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, Microsoft only has a couple exclusives I'm interested in.

Well, sure. But if you're someone who plays a lot of multiplatform games, Xbox seems a bit more attractive right now.

And I should mention I'm not going to be getting an Xbox One X. I don't have the money. I'm more just grumpy about how the PS4 Pro was handled verses how on the ball Microsoft is with the Xbox one X.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nope, MS doesn't provide enough exclusive content on their console for me to take interest in it. If I cared that much about having the best looking multiplatform games, I'd game on PC.

Pro enhanced games look good enough for me until next gen.

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
I still have an original PS4 and original Xbox One;, but if I was to upgrade just one, no question it would be the PS4 - it's where I play the majority of my console games, and sees far more in the way of exclusives of interest to me than the Xbox One.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
Nope. I have a PC, Switch and PS4 Pro. I don't think there's any reason I would want an Xbone X but the PS4 Pro still gets me The Last Guardian, TLOU2, GoW and plenty of other exclusives.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
No regrets. I can play The Last of Us 2 on it and Horizon DLC in a day or two. It's about games for me and I find there is always something I want to play on a Playstation. Hopefully the X is successful and they can make games for it I want. I'll buy one if the games are there.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Nope, I buy my consoles for games first and foremost. Features are secondary. I have a Pro and a VR-capable PC. From a software perspective, the XBX isn't offering much that I can't get with my current setup.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
There's some features I hope Sony adopts but my library of nearly 200 PS4 games versus zero Xbox titles means there's no way I'm making the switch. MS took their notes from the Pro launch, that's clear, but I don't have a library that will benefit from any of them.

Oct 29, 2017
Given that A) we don't have a 4K screen and B) most of what I'd want an Xbox One X for (BC that isn't garbage, Xbox Game Pass) can be found on the S for less than half the price, no.

I have little interest in simply playing current-gen games at "4K". That is the least interesting use of the extra power to me, for both the XoneX and the Pro.

OP
OP
Chettlar

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
There's some features I hope Sony adopts but my library of nearly 200 PS4 games versus zero Xbox titles means there's no way I'm making the switch. MS took their notes from the Pro launch, that's clear, but I don't have a library that will benefit from any of them.

Yeah, I'm not implying per se people ought to switch. More just upset with Sony given Microsoft seems to have done such a better job with their mid gen refresh.

alexbull_uk

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
UK
God no. Got mine on day one and I've been enjoying higher res, better performing games since. It was and still is a great purchase.

Waffles

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I would only regret it if my friends were picking up a One X. Seeing they are all on PS4 now, I'm happy to stick with my Pro to play multiplats with them. I've started to appreciate playing with them more now, so having better looking games but no friends to play with isn't appealing to me

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just like usual, it all comes down to games. If Microsoft and Sony had no first-party titles of their own and all of the major games were on both systems, it might be a different story.

Also keep in mind that the two consoles were released a year apart. I'm sure the PS4 Pro would have had additional features if it launched a year later and for $100 more. Although I very much doubt they would have invested as much as Microsoft in the feature set.

wondermagenta

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne
As someone who owns both vanilla systems, the X is incredibly interesting to me, whereas I've been pretty confounded by the PS4 Pro ever since it was announced. Seeing Doom run at a locked 1080p60 without needing to be specifically patched was pretty eye-opening. I don't plan to get a 4k TV and I'd still get a ton of use out of the X just for 360 games.

How good the X is actually makes Sony's whole crossplay business even more annoying to me. I'll have to buy Monster Hunter on PS4 to play with my friends, but there's no way I'm getting a Pro to play it at 60fps, whereas I could totally see myself getting the X.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
I have a pc I can play all MS exclusive on on 4k. I have my og xbox one for halo:mcc and SSO and other games not on pc.

Bán

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, because I already had a huge PS4 library and the exclusives I want are there. Horizon alone justified it.

What I do regret is Sony's asinine decision not to feature a 4k blu-ray player. That's a constant frustration for me, and if I was a brand-new consumer it would be a big selling point of the Xbox One X.

Deleted member 1852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I buy consoles to play video games, not hardware specs.

Also since I'm a PC gamer I can get the Xbox games on my PC now. I don't need any Xbox at all anymore since MS has committed to releasing their exclusives on both Xbox and PC now. Except Halo for whatever reason, but I haven't played Halo since 3 so oh well.

Freshmaker

Oct 28, 2017
Nope. I barely have a solid reason to want an Xbox One X in the first place. No matter how many people claim it doesn't matter because of third party being multiplatform, relevant exclusives matter a lot. (I mean, I have a 1080ti. If I want the best multiplat, it's gonna be on the PC.)

That said, I do hope it does well to pressure Sony into revisiting their LOL backwards compatibility, no 4k Blu Ray decisions come the PSV.

SuperNerd3000

Oct 25, 2017
No. It's the games that matter - not so much the specs. Between the Pro and X, a normal PS4 is still a damn fine option. And way cheaper.

Occam

Oct 25, 2017
Why, are Sony's and the other PS4 exclusives coming to Xbone X?

Does Xbone X play PSVR games?

breakfuss

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well, I got my Pro for $300 and sold my OG and put that towards it. So...there's that. I do wish Sony had just charged a little more and upped the ante though. Is what it is.

The only thing that bugs me now is holding off on a number of my Xbox games until I feel like spending the cash on the upgrade.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Nah.. I love my pro. I'll see how next year turns out with pricing and games before I consider and X. It just costs too much and the pro games still look good.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
Not at all.

For the simple reason the Pro allows me to play Sony's 1st party games the best way possible. Improved image quality, load times, better performance. Gran Turismo Sport on my 4k HDR TV is quite possibly the best thing I've seen visually this generation.

And to be honest, considering how they aren't any more "xbox exclusives" -- I'd much rather be inclined to build a PC that rivals or exceeds the Xbox One X than to actually buy one myself.

OP
OP
Chettlar

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who owns both vanilla systems, the X is incredibly interesting to me, whereas I've been pretty confounded by the PS4 Pro ever since it was announced. Seeing Doom run at a locked 1080p60 without needing to be specifically patched was pretty eye-opening. I don't plan to get a 4k TV and I'd still get a ton of use out of the X just for 360 games.

How good the X is actually makes Sony's whole crossplay business even more annoying to me. I'll have to buy Monster Hunter on PS4 to play with my friends, but there's no way I'm getting a Pro to play it at 60fps, whereas I could totally see myself getting the X.

Yeah, I'm getting increasingly frustrated with just about every decision Sony has been making. Their games are nice and all, but idk. Conflicted. Not very happy with them as a company.

I don't even know if given the choice now that I'd go with the Xbox One X because, as others are saying, the lack of games.... It just really serves to piss me off at Sony. Well both. Tired of how few games Microsoft has been pumping out too.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I bought the pro to play the best version of games exclusive to ps4, so I'm good.

Scorpio sounds hella nice, tho.

dragonflys545

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Microsoft can't even launch the system with crackdown 3... all you are getting is a bunch of patches to make older games look better and multiplat games.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think it makes more sense to get the lower end Xbox/PS4, but if I had to chose between a PS4 Pro and an Xbox One X, I'd probably go for the Xbox One X. The vast majority of third party titles will appear noticeably better on the latter, and I'm a Rare soul who actually thinks some of the Xbox One exclusives are more appealing (Cuphead and Sea of Thieves).

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Nah not at all. I have gotten plenty of use out of it and still love it. I will still use it for Sony exclusives but the X is my main console now.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I already have a Pro and will be getting the X on Tuesday but if I wasn't able to get the X due to a Pro purchase I'd definitely feel bummed out. I'm glad I have my Pro, I want to experience the upcoming exclusives in the best way.

But the Pro overall feels like very half step console not only in terms of what it actually is but the way Sony have approached and handled it. It feels a little like they just dropped it out in a half arsed way. Microsoft 'seem' to be throwing in a ton of added extra little features and tweaks along with just overall approaching the system like a much more fully fleshed out member of their console family.

In my opinion the Pro feels like an after thought whereas the X feels like a focused thought.

OP
OP
Chettlar

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
No. It's the games that matter - not so much the specs. Between the Pro and X, a normal PS4 is still a damn fine option. And way cheaper.

I mean, but that's my point kinda. At this point I would just recommend getting a vanilla PS4. The PS4 Pros features were already not huge, especially for 1080p users. And now with the X the feature set looks tiny in comparison.

Oct 25, 2017
Ps4 Pro is my primary console and i have not regretted a thing. If i cared about having the best possible looking 3rd party games I'd build a PC. Games-wise the XBX is a pointless purchase.

Nintex

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Strategy wise Sony did the better thing.
They can release a PS5 in 2019 because the PS4 Pro did not really replace the PS4.

MS will have a hard time convincing people to buy a new console in 2 years. I feel like they should've just gone all the way and upgraded the CPU and just started a new generation 'early' like they did with Xbox 360.
They've kinda limited what they can do with all that horsepower because it shares the game library with the Xbox One.

Also in Europe at least the XOX is too expensive. PS4 Pro is 399 with a free 2nd controller and a game packed in. Xbox One X is 499 stand-alone.

WhiskerFrisker

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
No? The PS4 Pro is still the only way to play PlayStation exclusive at their best. I'm getting an Xbox One X day one but it's in no way making my Pro obsolete. There's certain games that I will get on PS4 and on the Xbox One. For example, I got COD on PS4 because that's where the people I play with (who are very good) are. I'm not going to switch and hope I can find worthy replacements.

Status
Not open for further replies.