• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Everything could potentially work. I think it'd be vastly more difficult to do than Fallout though.

noodlesoup

Feb 21, 2018
Chicago, IL
Not sure if an Elder Scrolls series is achievable on a TV budget but if it's even half as weird as it gets in the games, then it'd be the greatest fantasy series of all time.

No kidding.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
It's doable, but probably much harder to pull off than Fallout. I'd love to see a Morrowind show though. Just go full weird with it.

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017
Part of Fallout's charm is that it doesn't take itself too seriously, can't see that happening with Elder Scrolls.

It would be different but sure why not.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
They should find the middle ground between the earnestness of Lotr and the silliness of Fallout.
Maybe a live action version of the anime Frieren set in Cyrodill? We follow a character who actually saved the world and goes back on their journey to reminisce about the past and find sidequests they missed the first time? That way you avoid a retread of having a main character that is a newbie but also allow the audience to discover the world.

Saturday

One Winged Slayer - Shinra Employee
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
i want this to happen because then it's a gateway to explain the absolute batshit bonkers lore of TES

"okay i think this character has achieved CHIM and therefore is aware they're in a TV show"
"what"
"oh the show introducing this contradictory piece of lore can be explained away by a dragon break so it probably happened and didn't happen at the same time"
"WHAT"
"see that cat person? that's a khajit. that's different from the cat you saw earlier, which was just a housecat, but don't be confused with khajit who are just cats"
"????????????"

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Elder Scrolls on its face is just another generic fantasy world.

Fallout has a distinct flavor, has specific and interesting ideas about our world, and a tone that can oscillate between comedy/action/horror at any moment.

You could try but you'd have a far harder time making a case for it.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think TES has enough of of a pitch identity to make it standout in a filmed medium and hook writers in doing something interesting.

Fallout as Jetson world as a radioactive hellscape stands apart better than another fantasy world of standard trappings.

It can be done, but it's more of an uphill climb to do something interesting that works in film whereas you have plenty of fantasy works that are more inspiring to kick off from.

kinoki

Oct 28, 2017
If I was asked to do a TV-series of Skyrim, for example. I'd look at all the main story quests in the game. Then create a character for each of those stories. Tie them into the dragon-storyline and having them all being Dragonborn. Then having the choices along the way being the defining moments where the dragonborn are split up into factions waring among eachother and under the threat of the Imperial/Nord-civil war.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
it'd have to a) differentiate itself enough from other high fantasy movies/shows (which, if they adhere to the source material may not be too hard) and b) have an interesting story tell, again not just boilerplate high fantasy intrigue

and of course, the budget would have to be there.

with success of Fallout wouldn't surprise me if Amazon and Bethesda are kicking the can around on this rn, but not saying anything will come from it either

Last edited:

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
you could do some really cool settings for TES but my gut tells me they'd be really risk averse and set it in Skyrim

and I'm not sure it'd do enough there to stand out from the very saturated historical prestige show with a Viking aesthetic

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
The MC needs to constantly find ways to break the rules with a broken strat

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
No, there's precious little to set it apart from other fantasy settings. Not so much a problem in the games because the emphasis is more on the sandbox nature of the thing anyway, for a tv show though, you'd have to do a lot to distinguish it at which point it would have very little to do with TES so why bother.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
If it was completely dedicated to acting out the hilarious shit from Oblivion, then yes.

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
I can't think of any reason why it couldn't work, but the main concern would be that it would come across as just another high fantasy show and we have quite a lot of those right now - Game of Thrones, LOTR, Witcher, Wheel of time, etc.

That space is pretty full.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Iunno how to really word this in a diplomatic way... It feels like there's nothing to work with when it comes to Elder Scrolls compared to Fallout. There's no hook or real iconography.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Elder Scrolls on its face is just another generic fantasy world.

Fallout has a distinct flavor, has specific and interesting ideas about our world, and a tone that can oscillate between comedy/action/horror at any moment.

You could try but you'd have a far harder time making a case for it.
I was about saying the same. Take away the Elder Scrolls name and it's a "normal" fantasy series. Then again, everything can be outstanding with good writers und budget.

The Fallout setting is a bit more unique, so that helped.

I would rather see Bioshock or Dishonored as a TV series project.

Fortinbras

Oct 27, 2017
Fallout is unique. Elder Scrolls is generic fantasy. I can't imagine how a TV show could work tbh.

A Mass Effect show could work if done correctly. Other than that I can't really think of any other shows (based on video games) I'd watch.

Dec 17, 2022
Hmm… If Rings of Power can deliver fantasy set pieces on TV, Elder Scrolls should. But Fallout has the benefit of good writers and production from Westworld… so I guess it depends on the talent behind crafting the story (and their dedication to the adaption).

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
Its a weird one because it would sort of be a blank canvas to do anything. The elder scrolls world seems generic enough that you could fit any fantasy story you want into it.

GulfCoastZilla

Shinra Employee
Sep 13, 2022
Maybe, which is better than the hard no I would give Starfield (game lacks any personality)

They would have to inject some humor into ES, otherwise it's just another GOT/Amazon Fantasy show clone.

RoninRay

Oct 28, 2017
Fallout is unique. Elder Scrolls is generic fantasy. I can't imagine how a TV show could work tbh.

A Mass Effect show could work if done correctly. Other than that I can't really think of any other shows (based on video games) I'd watch.

I think a bioshock show could be amazing if done right. You could jump back and fourth before and after rapture went to shit. There is so much you do with that setting and premise.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017

It could work but I doubt you'd get someone to pick it up right now as there is a glut of fantasy content.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
To me the dark humor is what makes Fallout interesting. I don't see how Elder Scrolls would set itself apart from all the other medieval fantasy stuff like GoT, LotR, Wheel of Time, The Witcher, etc.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018

But Mass Effect is a generic space opera and there're like 15 thousand book series' that have more narrative and creative meat to them.

I think with the right amount of tinkering you can adapt practically anyhting, if they can make Castlevania then there's no reason why TES wouldn't work. Should they do it is a different question though.

shox

Oct 25, 2017
Make it an Isekai where Kevin Hart and Chris Pratt are playing Skyrim and get sucked into the TV

carl-chef-kiss.gif

MarcelloF

"This guy are sick"
Dec 9, 2020

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Narratively, I can't stand the discrepancy between the weird depths of the lore and the boilerplate-itutde of the games themselves.

You can tell a good story anywhere with anything, but at face value, if you want something interesting you'd either have to go all in on the lore and get weird with it, but if you want a budget and profit you're probably gonna be aping the games.

So yeah, just... leave it be.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Lore isn't as entertaining so I don't think so.

Fallout works to me because it's so tongue in cheek and over the top. Elder Scrolls doesn't have that. So I don't think the "feel" or "spirit" of the games would translate as well.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really think it has a distinct enough visual style to be appealing on the level Fallout is. It's just your utterly standard fantasy world and fantasy adventure shows tend to struggle in getting ratings despite being hugely expensive to make.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I think it's far more likely to get lumped in with other "generic fantasy" shows and get endlessly compared to GoT. It could work but for me the interest isn't really there. Fallout has a far more interesting world and sense of character to it IMO. I also just prefer its setting aesthetically.

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's a far harder sell as we have slimmer pickings for post nuclear war shows, especially ones with a bit of a sense of humor. Fantasy settings are not all that rare, some have huge acclaim to go up against, and while ES has a rich lore I don't really think it holds up against the other offerings already available

Oct 27, 2017
What benefits Fallout is that the specific tone is pretty unique to the source material - that and the built in library of existing lore, characters, backstory, brand names, iconography, that are all thoroughly fleshed out. Elder Scrolls has a lot of that but to me it doesn't feel anywhere near as unique compared to other Fantasy stuff and wouldn't stand out to general audiences.

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
Nah, it's nothing new, it could be a success but doesn't have that fresh feeling that Fallout has.

Bioshock is one that would be a massive hit. It still hasn't been done since.