Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I got the collectior's Fallout 4 guide and love it. I missed out of the skyrim one when Gamestop was getting rid of them, I don't want to catch that L again.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
It's you, Slayven, you're charting the universe for the rest of us. Your sidekick along this journey? Fat4all. Good luck!
We can do it
MV5BM2UxNzdhMTctODU4ZC00NTZhLWJkOTAtMTk3ZTM4ZjIwNGMzXkEyXkFqcGdeQTNwaW5nZXN0._V1_.jpg

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
All guides will be replaced by a compilation of Reddit questions and answers

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Guide companies aren't closed down just yet. Future Press and Piggyback are still at it (Piggyback is doing TOTK and Future Press is doing the final Animal Crossing New Horizons one)

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
I guess a gaming wiki?

I have two different Skyrim guides. One from release, one for the LE version. I never used them. I have the collector's edition artbook and love flicking through that, but guides just don't make sense with online hubs like the UESP and Wikis these days imo =/

FlowingThot

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 1, 2023
Any physical guides for Bethesda games are always useless compared to something like the UESP or Fallout wiki. UESP puts every other video game wiki to shame.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
XXX_PrimalUrges_XXX - The Starfield 100% Complete Guide and Walkthrough (No Spoilers Edition) v.1.2.7, 708KB, 2023 on Gamefaqs

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Someone is still doing guide books as TotK is getting own next month.

Yeah. Piggyback and Futurepress still create guidebooks.

Most recent examples are the TOTK guide coming in July and Elden Ring guide which is split into two volumes. The 2nd isn't even out yet.

For a Starfield guide this would be a golden opportunity for either Future Press or Piggyback to take advantage of.

FlowingThot

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 1, 2023
Fallout 4 came with a PDF code they updated regulary
Great, still bad compared to the Fallout wiki or UESP. An official guide isn't going to have the reference ID of every item in the game. It isn't going to have detailed information on every reference and easter egg the entire game. It isn't going to have detailed lore on everything going back decades. It's not going to have detailed console commands for bug work arounds. It's not going to list every quest stage for every quest.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Great, still bad compared to the Fallout wiki or UESP. An official guide isn't going to have the reference ID of every item in the game. It isn't going to have detailed information on every reference and easter egg the entire game. It isn't going to have detailed lore on everything going back decades. It's not going to have detailed console commands for bug work arounds. It's not going to list every quest stage for every quest.

I wouldn't expect a guide book to list Item IDs or Console commands nor would these be relevant for Xbox players. As for lore, there are Lore books specifically for those reasons. Case in point the 3 volumes of the Skyrim Library are exactly this.

Some of these things are beyond the scope of a typical game guide.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
I still have my completely dog-eared Oblivion guide. God I loved that book. Constant companion throughout my hundreds of hours playing that on 360. But yeah nowadays it's gonna be online wikis and YouTube videos.

FlowingThot

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 1, 2023
I wouldn't expect a guide book to list Item IDs or Console commands nor would these be relevant for Xbox players. As for lore, there are Lore books specifically for those reasons. Case in point the 3 volumes of the Skyrim Library are exactly this.

Some of these things are beyond the scope of a typical game guide.
Yeah they are all beyond the scope of a game guide that is true. Why would I pay for something worse?

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'd love for Starfield to get a UESP equivalent but it is unlikely. It's a one of a kind thing that is a relic at that, but a useful one beyond anything else for Elder Scrolls available. I still go to that site just to read lore every now and then.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
Are they really going under? I feel like I still see guides. Pretty sure there was one for Hogwarts and/or Jedi Survivor.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah they are all beyond the scope of a game guide that is true. Why would I pay for something worse?

I feel like the market for physical guides isn't so much about detailing every single aspect of a game anymore, and is more about having a nice book with pretty layout and pictures that also has some useful information--sort of a companion/replacement for artbooks.

I think it's kind of a weird market tbh but it clearly still exists, given the popularity of guidebooks in the Era artbooks thread.

Lt. Hannah Stone

Alt-Account
Banned
May 9, 2023
Even if someone could write one, you'd need to constantly flip to an appendix to even use it.

It'll be youtube videos and IGN / forum entries guided by search engines. Polygon also does a lot of random guide entries.

Rahfiki

Oct 28, 2017
200 youtube content creators

A combination of this and dozens of barely (if at all) functional "walkthroughs" and guides from sites that all look the same and give you the same degree of useful information.

At least when strategy guides weren't super helpful it was at least amusingly confusing and interesting to read. I have an Omikron the Nomad Soul guide under my desk right now that's practically a work of art in how unintelligible it is. I'm pretty sure it's the same kind they used in the Super Best Friends playthrough which absolutely explains their confusion lol.

Even if someone could write one, you'd need to constantly flip to an appendix to even use it.

Flipping to an appendix sounds waaaaaay faster than skipping through youtube videos trying to find the part where they actually tell you what you want to know instead of dancing around the subject for 10 minutes. Or opening 5 website tabs when searching for info cuz odds are 4 of them are going to be clickbait or so light on details they may as well be.

Zippedpinhead

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
I love/loved strategy guides. The official artwork, some tips, and general map layouts of launch content (or full game content back in the day).

Its why I'm getting the ToTK guide, I'm almost done with the game and likely will have it on the shelf by the time the guide comes. HOWEVER it will look really cool next to Hyrule Historia.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Piggyback's still around, I could see them doing a really nice guide. The one they did for TotK looks incredibly comprehensive.

I would personally wait to buy any kind of Starfield guide until there's a GotY Edition of the game (all DLCs, expansions, etc.) and a guide is written for that version.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA

The UESP is great info dump but in same token there is an appeal having access to full colored maps or in hands reference you can immediately refer to.

This isn't like the days of Brady or Prima.

The recent output Piggyback and Futurepress has put out is fantastic. All of them hardcover with tons of art.

There is also having reasonable expectations. Having an entire wikis worth of content such as UESP would take dozens of books, definitely not something to expect from a guide book.

FlowingThot

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 1, 2023
The UESP is great info dump but in same token there is an appeal having access to full colored maps or in hands reference you can immediately refer to.

This isn't like the days of Brady or Prima.

The recent output Piggyback and Futurepress has put out is fantastic. All of them hardcover with tons of art.

There is also having reasonable expectations. Having an entire wikis worth of content such as UESP would take dozens of books, definitely not something to expect from a guide book.
I don't expect it from a guide book. I just don't have a need for a worse source. I'm sure there is a market for people wanting art. For me, just the facts.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Guide companies aren't closed down just yet. Future Press and Piggyback are still at it (Piggyback is doing TOTK and Future Press is doing the final Animal Crossing New Horizons one)
I already have the TotK guide pre-ordered but had no idea about the ACNH guide. Any links to more info on that one?

Bengraven