• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Have you begun to consider starting a physical media collection (Blu-Rays, 4K UHD Blu-Rays etc)?

• I already (and still plan to) collect physical media

Votes: 334 42.9%
  • Yes, I have begun to consider starting a physical media collection

Votes: 15 1.9%
  • No, I don't have any plans to start a physical media collection any time soon

Votes: 429 55.1%

• Total voters

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
source.gif

HBO Max is seemingly going through a bunch of changes including possibly being merged onto Discovery+ and pivoting from what we currently know HBO Max to be. (For reference, these changes will likely be announced tomorrow during the financial reports). And, because of these massive changes seemingly happening, I've begun to find myself entertaining the idea of starting a Blu-Ray collection so I can have some of my favorite old shows or movies like Batman Beyond, Batman: The Animated Series, Superman: The Animated Series etc. So, I thought I'd pose the question to see where the rest of Era's at with all of this madness happening so randomly considering that this is one massive reminder that streaming isn't forever, you know?

So where y'all at? Are you guys planning on doing the same thing anytime soon because of this sudden switch up from WBD?

Last edited:

CONCHOBAR

Oct 25, 2017
Did I miss something? I heard about the cancellation of Batgirl and Scoob, but is that really cause for such doom and gloom?

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Any insider rumors of this? Or just a gut feeling?

There is still value to having HBO Max, there just isn't much value in making $50-$100million productions.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
In another life I fell down the Criterion Collection rabbit hole and never looked back, but I just don't have the space for blu-rays. Move around too much, would need to keep 'em in a storage locker and at that point who cares

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
I don't view streaming being forever in any case. So if I truly want something more permanently I buy it that way. Otherwise I stream and assume some day it won't be available and when that day comes if I still want to watch that thing. Then I'll buy it.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
These will still be available digitally in either another service or for purchase. Why would this make me want to waste space of physical?

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I really started to go all in on physical movies this year due to this exact reason; at a certain point keeping up with various streaming services as they fail, merge, or lose content is exhausting.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I always try to keep either physical or digital copies of things I want to rewatch - I won't blind buy things, but I've got a solid shelf of Blu-rays and a pretty solid Movies Anywhere collection.

There's so much churn with streaming services that, if you really expect to revisit media, it's not a reliable source. And renting every time isn't economically sensible.

Twstr709

Oct 27, 2017
I'm irritated we may lose HBO Max, but I don't plan on getting physical copies. I don't watch movies enough to do that.

May 10, 2018
Nah. I own some classic DC animated stuff (Batman:TAS, Superman, Justice League)on ITunes so I'm clear on that front.

If shit goes down after the earnings call, I guess I'll just have one less streaming service.

TheMerv

Jan 1, 2022
So like...are we expecting them to anounce this and shut it down immediately. Like do we expect Max to just disappear on thursday?

I uh should really finish Peacemaker.

alvmew

Nov 12, 2017
Always kept a physical media collection for anything I truly like, this won't change things - but it does make me anxious about shows like The Other Two that aren't on physical media at all but I would love to always have access to.

-----

For everyone not in the know, word of Batgirl and Scoob! being cancelled came alongside rumors that, at their (investor?) call tomorrow, Warner Bros Discovery will be announcing the end of HBO Max. It looks like all of that service's content will be moved onto Discovery+, probably on a tab labeled "HBO" like they currently have on Discovery+ for other sub brands, and we should expect a heavy if not outright complete cut of all of the scripted HBO Max originals. They're going to focus on unscripted content like Discovery+ has already been doing, and the big tentpole "classic" HBO stuff like GoT.

Seems pretty confirmed given what we saw happen today: https://www.resetera.com/threads/wa...ed-six-max-original-films-from-hbo-max.615240

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
I stopped getting physicals when I started streaming. I like physicals as the best option for visual fidelity but I only have a handful of movies that I could stomach watching more than once.

Euron

Oct 27, 2017
Rumors that HBO Max will be folded into Discovery streaming service, the cancellation of all original Max programming.
That's just ridiculous. Would the still release episodes of shows like Game of Thrones House of the Dragon on the same day?

Amazon really is going to take over entertainment with how fucking dumb their competition is.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I had a massive physical collection. I have gotten rid of a large portion of it and can't wait to get rid of the rest. It's just not worth it for me.

OP
OP
IDontBeatGames

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York

Yeah what is OP referring to? It would be incredibly dumb of them to end the platform.
A bunch of rumors all point to WBD making massive changes to HBO Max, which will led to HBO Max merging onto Discovery+ and them prioritizing live shows over scripted shows (plus they've just removed 6 original movies from the service). It seems like a ton of massive changes are coming to the platform.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
wait so is all the archived content actually "going away" or simply moving to Discovery?

Losing the whole library is a huge deal, but there isn't much of concern on the Max original side

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
Yeah what is OP referring to? It would be incredibly dumb of them to end the platform.
They're just folding the content of HBO Max into Discovery+, rather than vice-versa or running them as parallel apps / services.

This is just a game of cognitive telephone where people keep iterating on misunderstanding.

vatstep

Oct 25, 2017
Always kept a physical media collection for anything I truly like, this won't change things - but it does make me anxious about shows like The Other Two that aren't on physical media at all but I would love to always have access to.
Oh, crap, I didn't even think of The Other Two. I'm guessing we'll never see season three. :(

cubanb

Oct 27, 2017
I've heard that rumor too, but there's nothing official yet. I just paid my yearly sub to HBO max in June. Wonder how that would work.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
A bunch of rumors all point to WBD making massive changes to HBO Max, which will led to HBO Max merging onto Discovery+ and them prioritizing live shows over scripted shows (plus they've just removed 6 original movies from the service). It seems like a ton of massive changes are coming to the platform.
That means HBO Max is still there. Why does this also mean you need to get a physical collection? The stuff on there will still be there...

What exactly is ending?

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Wild to think between Discovery and HBO Max as a name brand that it's Discovery that would win out. I'm sure someone will come along and explain to me how Discovery has the bigger name, but like...bro. It's HBO.

Boondocks

Nov 30, 2020
NE Georgia USA
variety.com

With HBO Max and Discovery+ Expected to Merge, Streamers Debate Scale vs. Brand Identity

As Warner Bros. Discovery and Disney heap new content on their streaming outlets, they risk undermining solid marketplace brands.
This would enable people who signed up to binge-watch "Barry," "Succession" and "Last Week Tonight With John Oliver" to get their fill of "Naked and Afraid" and hundreds of hours of the excitable Food Network personality Guy Fieri hosting supermarket competitions and chowing down on chicken-fried steak or meatloaf at dining hot spots.

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
That's just ridiculous. Would the still release episodes of shows like Game of Thrones House of the Dragon on the same day?

Amazon really is going to take over entertainment with how fucking dumb their competition is.
Which would be Wild since HBO has been doing that since HBO Go - years ago!

Contramann

Oct 27, 2017
Well this thread backfired immediately.

To answer, nah I'll be collecting the same amount of Physical copies as I was previously. I like not having to dedicate a ton of space to physical copies and I typically only buy specific movies like criterion collection or things like that.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
I have everything I want on Blu Ray, The Matrix, the DCAU, Looney Tunes Golden collections. Everything else would just be a "nice to have" nothing I'm desperate to have though.