Status
Not open for further replies.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
As we all know, Ezra Miller (THEY/THEM) has had a problematic history. If you didn't somehow know this, here's an OT dedicated to being the home of all of Ezra's terrible decision making and problems within the last year. And as we also know, DC has already confirmed that they will be releasing The Flash's first official trailer during the Super Bowl. Plus, you know, they haven't stopped talking about how great it is for the last several months according to Insiders. (Worth nothing: According to James Gunn, it's one of the best movies ever made lol.)

My question for Era is regarding two things:
1) Do we want a thread to be made when this trailer releases? (I'm asking cause I'm typically one of the first people to make any threads related to DC Studios news/trailers/rumors)
2) How are we approaching The Flash's movie in general? Is there going to be an official OT? Is there not?

I'm only asking because I know conversations regarding Ezra Miller and The Flash have been, well, incredibly hard to have with everything going on. The reality is that, as far as we know, DC Studios even thinking about keeping Ezra depending on how they handle themselves going forward and whether they abide by the rules given to them by the court. So I figured now would be a good time to present both of these conversation and to see where Era, in general, are regarding these topics.

I hope that we can come to some sort of conclusion or that the staff can at least help us figure out a fair way to handle everything related to DC's The Flash going forward.

(Also want to throw out there: If Era and the Mods want, I could put together an official OT where news regarding The Flash stays there and only there along with whatever warnings or necessary statements are needed for the OP of the OT).

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
I think there's usually a Superbowl trailer thread? Throw it under there.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking personally, I would prefer no standalone marketing for The Flash movie whatsoever until Ezra displays a clear intent to change their behavior. If it were me making the threads, I would just make a grander OT for Super Bowl ads and let people discuss it in there.

Crazyorloco

Dec 12, 2017
I say yes. But I'm a person that believes in redemption. Hopefully they could get themselves back in shape. I'd want someone to give me a chance.

I'm excited about the film, but I completely understand why people wouldn't want any news on it.

DinkyDev

The Movie Critic
Feb 5, 2021
The film has implications for the future DCEU and has James Gunn's backing. Regardless of Ezra's behavior, people may want to discuss the contents of the film itself in a dedicated thread?

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think the mods have specified that there won't be a ban on threads pertaining to any individual other than JK Rowling.

Tom Nook

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I would go with The Flash movie gets its own thread, where we discuss the many aspects of the movie itself: the other actors, the directors, the comics, and the production.

Erza news belongs in the Erza thread.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Unless it comes from the mods as a hard rule, someone will make a thread regardless of what any amount of posters decide to do.

I suppose. I wish we had the self-control to not need a standalone thread for every little thing, but I guess you're right that SOMEONE will make a thread even if we all decide not to post in it.

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
All I have to say is, it's fucking infuriating that my childhood superhero came back and now has to share the limelight with a problematic asshole who is going to ruin how exciting that moment was supposed to be. The only reason I plan on watching this film is because of Keaton.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Not to be presumptuous, but is anyone seriously that excited for this movie either??? 🤔

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
Ezra Miller is horrible. But this is a discussion forum/discussion thread. I think we're are mature enough adults to have a conversation about them and the movie in this place. And maybe it's not the greatest movie ever and we can inform people who might otherwise want to see it, even with a problematic actor, and tell members to not waste their time with it.

Waggles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ezra Miller is horrible. But this is a discussion forum/discussion thread. I think we're are mature enough
danny-devito-nope.gif

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
I didn't realise trailers were worth having OTs over. I know we have threads saying they're going to happen / have happened, but a formal OT is a lot for threads that usually only make it to 5 or so pages.

As for the movie discussion itself, I can see it being difficult. Ezra is a jighly problematic person, but for now the worst of the accusations are just that. It's not like they're going out and spreading horrific shit online and we can all see their shitty hateful thought processes as they do wider damage to society like Rowling. Whatever actual crimes they've committed are personal and pretty much between them and the currently alleged victims. With them by all accounts undergoing some form of therapy, and unless something concrete comes out about the grooming, I'm probably leaning towards an OT and discussion about the movie being okay. The second that there's a relapse or hard evidence that they did something more than the physical assaults (unless we're going to start banning discussion of everything starring Mark Wahlberg) I'm veering hard no though.

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
This is probably the first DC movie I've been excited to see since Chris Nolan was still making Batman movies. Due in large part to the spoiler mentioned in this thread.

Ezra appears to be working on themself. Whether it's for real or just to shut the studio up and not ruin their career, let's see how it goes. So I would vote yes to the thread.

Also, I really just came in here so I could make the pun - ResetEzra. :P

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
It shouldn't be discussed on the forum. Start taking more hardline stances on these things.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I would allow the OT but also allow for people in the thread to condemn anyone and everyone involved in the film for continuing to support Ezra for what amounts to money. I've always believed that a celebrity's bad acts are always on topic to a thread concerning them. Don't compartmentalize those concerns.

I would not allow meta commentary where people dump on Era or members for being excited to see a film of which Ezra is one (even if main) character who had a long and storied history before Ezra was ever involved especially considering it's telling one of Flash's most iconic stories. I'm not going to fault people for wanting to see that come alive on the big screen, even if Ezra is trash.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
IMO there is no therapy or working on yourself that glosses over child grooming. WB should have never hired Ezra for this movie. The choking incident happened before they filmed the movie, so they could've not hired Ezra then. It's regrettable that it's now apparently too big to cancel.

I say this as someone that wants the movie outright cancelled. I see little value in a video game forum ignoring it, if it's going to be a mass wide release everywhere else.

I say make an OT detailing Ezra's shitty behavior with links to resources and other support. This is on WB not an Internet forum. With that said if we have no OT I wouldn't be upset either.

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
Of course.

Half the comic book movies released in the past year have featured folks with reprehensible views. No reason not to.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
If it's not possible for this forum to divorce discussion of a movie with seeming like they're endorsing the behavior of a problematic person involved with that movie, then pretty much all movie threads will need to be banned. Evangeline Lily is an anti-vaxxer who promotes conspiracy theories on social and endorses far-right movements like the truckers rally. She is arguably injecting more poison into society than Ezra Miller, whose crimes are far more limited in their reach. Doesn't make any sense to have Ant-Man OTs but not a Flash one. Just because you want to talk about a trailer for The Flash doesn't mean you are pro-grooming ffs.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't the sort of thing we put up for a vote, and if I can remind people that staff makes these calls and we have previously said, on multiple occasions, that advocating for us to ban content like this is not allowed.

Status
Not open for further replies.