• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
YhaeeNO.gif

We are spoiled for choice with Spring's rich depth of box-office variety. Honestly, enjoy this interval where an absolute EMBARRASSMENT of riches at the cinema is here and widely available, before they're drowned out as exhibitors lock every screen to the next tentpole. See only one of them. See all of them. But damn if you love movies and can absorb the risk of recirculated air then get out there and see something. You'll miss it when it's gone.

At a time when Netflix is losing 200K subscribers, waking up to the fact that we've been sharing passwords with our cousins, and not even in the running for NFL's Sunday ticket (which Apple looks to hook with a $2.5 billion bid) because they've been overspending on big-screen movies (Red Notice) and arthouse movie campaigns (Power of the Dog) for the sake of viewership algorithms and churn, releasing a movie through a theatrical window system is better off for a piece of movie IP than not. The brilliance of the windows system is that Hollywood created a business formula whereby a consumer buys the same piece of content two to three times. Ain't that smart? Outside of a buzzed, binge series on a streamer, the consumer retention, and the future revenue of your average movie on an OTT service, is quite short.

(Click image for full chart)

Worldwide Updates:

Weekend Box Office Archive and Appendix

qn5qR6L.jpg

You ever wonder what it'd be like if the world wasn't scared of us?

Last edited:

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
How you going to fall 2 spots after number 1?

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic Furries: The Secrets of Beating Dumbledore

The actual secret is being good movies that don't support a transphobe.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Shame Sonic 2 seems so frontloaded. Legs aren't as strong as expected based on the first movie.

Still clearly a success, but hopefully Movie 3 with Shadow hype can push higher numbers.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
The Lost City getting within spitting distance of $100M domestically is a pleasant surprise. Hopefully we get a few more adult rom coms after that.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is a 25M weekend considered good for the bad guys?
It beat expectations pretty handily, there's no real competition for kids' movies coming up, and the budget was relatively restrained for a movie like this. It's pretty fine, all things considered- should be enough juice for a franchise if they want it.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Glad Bad Guys beat expectations. If Sing 2 can have legs throughout January, Bad Guys can have a chance to quietly survive a little while. Plus Universal is bragging. They don't do that unless they're happy. (See Morbius and the Terf movie for when they're not happy).

Lot of competition. I feel like Cage and Northman ate each other's lunch. One might have done better if the other wasn't around. I'm glad people are happy with choice, but I do feel like this is an issue for some movies where they eat each other's lunch.

We'll see another variety situation in the summer. There's at least one weekend coming up with three releases. Unless there's a delay or something.

Anthony can pipe down though. Bad Guys had a good opening that Universal is happy with. But $25 million is not $60-$80 million. This isn't your gotcha on streaming.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
Rival studio sources have sniped that Unbearable Weight was always a big city play, not a joke that the flyover states would necessarily get in its skewed view of celebrity. They're largely correct, as the pic's best performance was in the metro areas and the West. Top markets for Unbearable Weight are in LA, NYC, San Francisco, Dallas, Chicago, Seattle, Washington DC, Salt Lake City, Boston, Denver, San Diego, and Austin. Still, had Lionsgate dumped this movie to a streamer or sent it straight to PVOD, it would be just another Cage film. By taking the risk and going theatrical with Unbearable Weight, no doubt it raises the profile of this Cage movie, for potential to be a cult classic in years to come.
DC being one of the top markets for a movie is hilarious and a problem lol.
Northman and Nic Cage both tanking makes me sad
One of those movies is probably going to do fine and the other should probably get some fired for greenlighting it at that budget. I'll let you decide which is which.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
DC being one of the top markets for a movie is hilarious and a problem lol.

One of those movies is probably going to do fine and the other should probably get some fired for greenlighting it at that budget. I'll let you decide which is which.
Remember when Fox had 120 million earmarked for a fucking Gambit movie?

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
What I am getting is that if you are not a big hyped up blockbuster you still don't make much these days.

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I saw The Northman twice, Everything Everywhere all at Once three times (IMAX preview + standard) and The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent twice (preview + standard).

a15e3bec9fa9f58c822db46ce9cb83a5c6924080.gifv

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
I saw The Northman twice, Everything Everywhere all at Once three times (IMAX preview + standard) and The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent twice (preview + standard).

Damn that's dedication. I have never seen a movie twice in the theather in my life. No matter how much I loved it.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
Unbearable Weight was fantastic, my screening was packed yesterday. It will for sure be one that we also buy when it hits streaming

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Damn that's dedication. I have never seen a movie twice in the theather in my life. No matter how much I loved it.

It's a rare period where I have downtime after work so it's more of an "eh, let's go support this thing" than spending my life at the theater. Doesn't hurt that they're all excellent, of course.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Still, had Lionsgate dumped this movie to a streamer or sent it straight to PVOD, it would be just another Cage film. By taking the risk and going theatrical with Unbearable Weight, no doubt it raises the profile of this Cage movie, for potential to be a cult classic in years to come.

BS. People loved the trailer. If this was on a major streamer, it would have had the exact same shot at becoming a cult classic. And it could still be forgotten through the theater route. Plenty of theatrical films have.

odiin

Oct 27, 2017

All three of those movies are so damn good. I saw Everything, Everywhere, All At Once weeks ago, but I double dipped on the Northman and the Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent this weekend.

Deadline's hard-on for demonizing streaming is especially funny in a weekend where there wasn't a particularly big breakout film beyond The Bad Guys beating very modest expectations.

It's hilarious how much they try to play the hand of the cult chances for Unbearable Weight being better since it was a theatrical film when damn never every cult favorite Nic Cage film was absolutely DOA in theaters and didn't pick up until they hit video. You can't tell me that films like Vampire's Kiss, The Wicker Man, or Deadfall had anyone caping for them to catch them in theaters.

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Saw Northman Friday and Nic Cage Saturday. Liked both. We're gonna see Bad Guys next week then it's off to Strange. Been a real solid last few weeks for movies.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Deadline's hard-on for demonizing streaming is especially funny in a weekend where there wasn't a particularly big breakout film beyond The Bad Guys beating very modest expectations.

It's hilarious how much they try to play the hand of the cult chances for Unbearable Weight being better since it was a theatrical film when damn never every cult favorite Nic Cage film was absolutely DOA in theaters and didn't pick up until they hit video. You can't tell me that films like Vampire's Kiss, The Wicker Man, or Deadfall had anyone caping for them to catch them in theaters.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I'm dead. This is hilarious.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Considering predictions earlier this week were Bad Guys was going to come in third at around $13m, seeing it nearly double that and take first is good to see. It has to share the family pie with Sonic, but it's got no animation competition now until July when the second minions film drops (Ugh, don't remind me, and I know around then we'll see the Mario Movie trailer drop as well).

Sonic still holding good is fun to see. Pretty sure it's going to be on track to become the highest grossing video game movie soon.

Glad to see Everything Everywhere All at Once doing good too. I'll try and find a way to watch it when it gets it's UK Release.

On one hand it continues to be funny how much the Secrets of Dumb continues to underperform, but on the other hand, it probably does also increase the likelyness of a Cursed Child film adaptation... I still dunno if that's going to be a good thing or a bad thing.