• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
top-gun2-top-gun-maverick.gif

This is ResetEra's weekend box office thread. While the OP focuses on the "popular" weekend tallies, we typically discuss box office throughout the week as well when notable films are playing. New threads are posted each Sunday morning.

top_gun_2.png

MoM.png

bob_burger.png

DA-ANE.png

05_The_Bad_Guys.png

Who the heck knew that simple box office accounting would provide such a headache 15 years later?

chart.png

Worldwide Updates:

Weekend Box Office Archive and Appendix

Last edited:

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
The Lost City going up in week 10 is quite something. Let's hope this Paramount turnaround continues.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Bomb's Burgers.

Shame, it really is a fine film but there's no audience in theaters for this type of movie.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so happy it's a big success. My dad would be too.

I like the title, but I knew I should have suggested "Tom brought back that loving feeling to theaters".

Oof on Bob's Burgers.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't know if anyone thought Bob's Burgers had the kind of juice to make a Simpsons Movie type return, which is what the reported 70 million budget suggests

Its broadcast ratings are mediocre, and even FOX's claim that it averages 7 million viewers when you count streaming in the days after the premiere suggests that most people don't consider it "must see"

fancyarcher

Oct 29, 2017
I really don't know if anyone thought Bob's Burgers had the kind of juice to make a Simpsons Movie type return, which is what the reported 70 million budget suggests

Its broadcast ratings are mediocre, and even FOX's claim that it averages 7 million viewers when you count streaming in the days after the premiere suggests that most people don't consider it "must see"

I mean it's an okay number, if it costs like 40m or something (though I'm not sure if that 70m budget is actually true), and it opened better then a lot of TV to film cartoon adaptations, but still its audience was always very specific and limited.

Xenu crying bitter tears.

It's interesting that this is doing much bigger numbers than the Mission: Impossible films, even with all the acclaim that recent entries have received. Hopefully some of these people are enticed to come to Dead Reckoning.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DIRECT HIT
THE CRUISE MISSILE DONT MISS

Return of the true blockbuster

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
MoM definitely hitting 400M domestically now, still holding on even with TGM taking over everything, a billy is probably out of reach though

16.4M/21.1M 3/4 day

Rod

Oct 25, 2017
Just how crazy life is:

Beginning of the year, 150m was the absolute high end prediction of TGM's entire lifetime domestic gross in theaters...

One of the histories of 2022 so far.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
I remember laughing at how many times Top Gun was getting delayed. Couldn't understand why they didn't just put up for VOD during the pandemic or whatever

Clearly uh, Paramount knew better than me lmao

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
My GF is a huge fan and she wants to see it. Just hoping she doesn't have us dressing up for it when we do see it. Watched a few seasons cuz of her and it's really good but feel like movie is pointless.
It's a high budget 90 minute episode with great character moments and a lot of music. So basically it's the perfect thing for Bob's Burgers fans. And really not much of anybody else.

Eidan

AVALANCHE
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I remember laughing at how many times Top Gun was getting delayed. Couldn't understand why they didn't just put up for VOD during the pandemic or whatever

Clearly uh, Paramount knew better than me lmao
In general Era dramatically underestimated the appeal of seeing movies in theaters. Every jackass with an OLED here was eager to let everyone know theaters were dead.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
WB seems hellbent on dragging the bloated corpse of FB3's failure across $400M WW before giving up.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Is TGM quality wise on the level of Fury Road when it comes to late sequels?
Haven't read too much about it yet but plan to see it this week.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is TGM quality wise on the level of Fury Road when it comes to late sequels?
Haven't read too much about it yet but plan to see it this week.

Yes. It's also probably the best pure spectacle blockbuster since Fury Road. It's a lot more superficial than Fury Road (they didn't sneak a femininst movie in this one), but yes it's Fury Road on a spectacle level. Took 7 years to get something to deliver on that level.

Cruise knew what he was doing when he refused to let this sell to streaming.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Yes. It's also probably the best pure spectacle blockbuster since Fury Road. It's a lot more superficial than Fury Road (they didn't sneak a femininst movie in this one), but yes it's Fury Road on a spectacle level. Took 7 years to get something to deliver on that level.

Cruise knew what he was doing when he refused to let this sell to streaming.

Nice! Already was expecting a good movie at least since RT and MC are great but it would be amazing to be blown away again by a blockbuster movie.

May 31, 2018
Imagine the spectacle some of the recent movies would be if they used significantly more top-tier practical effects (yes, I know Disney isn't wanting to shell out a $600m budget Avengers movie).

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
In general Era dramatically underestimated the appeal of seeing movies in theaters. Every jackass with an OLED here was eager to let everyone know theaters were dead.
Oh yeah, and I love theatres! I just didn't expect this movie to be such a banger. I'm usually pretty decent at eyeballing that stuff but I totally dismissed this one prematurely. Happy to be wrong!

Oct 25, 2017
Bob's Burgers never seemed like a huge enough show to support a blockbuster run at the box office. The budget should've been $20m max. How did "three episodes" cost so much?

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT

Lol basically this yeah. I have an OLED and sound system that I love, but if I'm seeing a new blockbuster, I want to see with a screen and sound system that's unobtainable before the home experience.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Interesting. Surely this movie's going to have legs. Cutting into cinema revenue with video on demand is weird.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Damn, was hoping Bob's Burgers was gonna make over 20m, hard to sell when Disney put more into Obi-Wan and Lightyear.

i wonder if they are glad they are finally done with the mandatory Fox theatre release contract bullshit.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. Surely this movie's going to have legs. Cutting into cinema revenue with video on demand is weird.

Why? Everyone with FOMO is going to see this within a month. After that, those who see it in theaters are just looking to see something in theaters, or were going to see Top Gun in theaters regardless of it being available for home viewing.

The Lost City just went up despite being on P+ anyway. So it is possible for movies to have legs while being available at home after 45 days. Sing 2 had strong legs after going to VoD quickly also.

And at this point, if Paramount really felt they would lose a ton of money by putting it on P+ after Day 45, they wouldn't be pushing it. They have enough data between Scream, Jackass, Lost City and Sonic 2 to know this.

There's a home audience that is not going to just reluctantly go because the window is extended by 45 days. Just like it was silly for people to say theaters are dead, it's just as silly to think you can force that audience into the theater. They're two different audiences. 45 days is enough time to get fomo money, but bring up a second wave of relevancy for the movie.

Edit: Also 120 days is an absurd window for modern days.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

This is it. Look, I love hoke theater too, I have a nice sound system and a nice LG OLED, and I don't care what anyone says, that doesn't compare to the theatrical experience in any way, especially for a movie like this. Half the fun was hearing people excitedly chatting before the movie, laughing/crying/gasping during it, and walking out so hyped after it. You can't get that vibe at home.