OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
This is ResetEra's weekend box office thread. While the OP focuses on the "popular" weekend tallies, we typically discuss box office throughout the week as well when notable films are playing. New threads are posted each Sunday morning.

deadline.com

‘Space Jam: A New Legacy’ Steals Ball Away From ‘Black Widow’ With $31M+ Opening, Best For Family Pic & WB During Pandemic

Sunday AM Update: Even with Space Jam: A New Legacy in homes on HBO Max, Warner Bros. proves again that when they shell out on TV spots, they can open the film in movie theaters to a solid number. In this case, it was the best 3-day we’ve seen for a family film during the pandemic, with $31.65M. […]

Even with Space Jam: A New Legacy in homes on HBO Max, Warner Bros. proves again that when they shell out on TV spots, they can open the film in movie theaters to a solid number, and in this case it was the best 3-day we've seen for a family film during the pandemic with $31.65M. That's also the best for Warner Bros. during the Covid era beating Godzilla vs. Kong's big Easter opening of $31.625M by a smidge and also a record career opening for director Malcolm D. Lee, beating the opening weekend of his Girls Trip by $31.2M.

Weekend Box Office Archive and Appendix

xlDlwul.jpg

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
The meta score for black widow is in the late 60s? Weren't impressions incredibly high for that?

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Disney going to keep pushing PA hard as delta takes over and theaters shutter again. Widow seems to have done fine considering the window of time it had to make any money at all. Space Jam gonna drop like a rock next week.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
Word of mouth for Space Jam 2 is apparently good - is that true? I have not kept up to day with the movies' end user impressions.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't a 67% drop pretty terrible for Black Widow? Like, the biggest 2nd week drop for an MCU movie?
I wonder how much $ they got from D+ though, last week it was pretty crazy

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't a 67% drop pretty terrible for Black Widow? Like, the biggest 2nd week drop for an MCU movie?

Yes, it's very bad. The real question is why - whether it's because of D+, bad word of mouth, or a trend towards hyper front-loaded pics, it's too early to tell.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I said it in the last thread, and I'll say it again. I don't think the movie theater industry will be doing pre-pandemic numbers anytime soon. The way people are consuming media has changed. And it will continue to change.

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
I said it in the last thread, and I'll say it again. I don't think the movie theater industry will be doing pre-pandemic numbers anytime soon. The way people are consuming media has changed. And it will continue to change.

It's definitely possible. I'm really concerned about mid-budget flicks... sure, blockbusters will mostly be fine, but I can see the smaller flicks get completely squeezed out at the box office. It's been happening for awhile, but COVID has really accelerated the trend.

PlatypusDude

Oct 25, 2017
Was hoping Pig would hit a million, but given the premise and how everyone was assuming it would be a meme movie until this week, not bad in the current climate.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Disney going to keep pushing PA hard as delta takes over and theaters shutter again. Widow seems to have done fine considering the window of time it had to make any money at all. Space Jam gonna drop like a rock next week.
Embarrassing that Blackwidow only lasted what a week ? Many said that Space Jam was going to bomb but look at that!

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Seems good really. I mean there have been 60%+ drops before for these films. In the context of the current COVID situation, with cases up and the Delta variant getting a lot of news, seems reasonable that the dropoff would be more than usual for MCU. Beyond just people not feeling comfortable going, I'd imagine folks who would normally do repeat business are probably more inclined to do D+ Premiere instead.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
Black Widow will outgross Space Jam in the end (by a lot) and the Black Widow budget wasn't that much more than Space Jam ($160m+ for Space Jam vs $200m for Black Widow).

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Black Widow's international holds aren't too great either:

But between D+ streaming and COVID there's a lot of weirdness going on with the box office. But I think Spider-Man will be the real test. BW was never going to blow up the box office even in healthier times.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
One week at #1 was shorter than I expected for Black Widow.
A meta score of 6.8 is actually pretty good for a movie. The use of the scale is completely different then the metascores of video games for example.
I despise Metacritic as an extremely stupid aggregator with its secretly weighted scores regardless of medium, and lament both industry and consumer obsession with what it assigns, but that's me.