• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
This is ResetEra's weekend box office thread. While the OP focuses on the "popular" weekend tallies, we typically discuss box office throughout the week as well when notable films are playing. New threads are posted each Sunday morning.

02_bp2.png

03_Violent_Night.png

04_Strange_World.png

05_The_Menu.png

Despite Avatar: The Way of Water missing its $150M-$175M projections, rival distribution sources and exhibition aren't bothered –nor do they believe that the sky is falling for cinema– particularly for a movie that cost according to sources (not Disney) at about around $460M before P&A. When it comes to the ultimate fate of Avatar 2, which was propped greatly by Imax, PLF and premium 3D ticket sales this weekend at 62%, we have to play the long-game, determining its fate when we get through the holidays as each day from Monday through New Year's weekend, is like a Saturday at the box office. Media outlets at the time of Titanic and Avatar's play immediately declared them bombs before they respectively became the highest grossing movies of all-time (the former before the latter).

As those studio executives who've worked with the Avatar filmmaker before exclaim, "Don't ever bet against Jim Cameron."
chart.png

Worldwide Updates:

View: https://twitter.com/BORReport/status/1604520768003379203?s=20&t=KZMJ249ksV4v-1P4FlVpjQ

View: https://twitter.com/BORReport/status/1604524380192616448?s=20&t=kBtq3Pp0gnl_DInCrcbokw

Weekend Box Office Archive and Appendix

water-tribe-sokka.gif

Last edited:

less

Oct 25, 2017
Lower than hoped for start but a pretty solid start. Now the fun begins.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
Happy for the people that enjoyed the movie but I don't think you could pay me to see Avatar 2. Over 3 hours for a movie is an absolute dealbreaker for me.

less

Oct 25, 2017
Happy for the people that enjoyed the movie but I don't think you could pay me to see Avatar 2. Over 3 hours for a movie is an absolute dealbreaker for me.

I'm literally about to go watch Endgame a second time and I'll be alone. I don't mind at all. None of my friends usually like to go to the midnight releases so I often go solo. It's not bad.

Avengers: Endgame/Running time
3h 2m

Things sure have changed since 2019 for you. :p

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I see that The Menu reached $60 million WW. Super happy for that film as it deserves all the success.

Violent Night reached $47 million on a $20 million budget so that's a hit for another film I'm happy for.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Great start for TWOW, can't wait to see what happens in the next 2 weeks. Gonna be fun!

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
There doesn't seem to be anything in the way of avatar 2 keeping PLF screens for a long while, so that will help.

I feel bad for people making bets though.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There doesn't seem to be anything in the way of avatar 2 keeping PLF screens for a long while, so that will help.

I feel bad for people making bets though.
Nothing to feel bad about, I can live with a purple tag for a couple months.

The handicapping should have always been $2B though. $2.5B was always a pretty crazy stretch of a handicap.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Deadline doing a lot of backpedaling after working themselves up in a frenzy before this released.

less

Oct 25, 2017
Damn. Sorry buddy. Didn't realize you were that dedicated. Lol.

No dedication, that's reserved for the Avatar bet thread ;_;. Just remembered your avatar from another thread and found it funny. :3

Tbf a 3+ hr movie in 2019 is a lot different than one in 2022. I don't want to be sitting in a theater for close to 4 hrs while no one is masking when influenza, Covid and RSV are spreading like crazy.

Oh certainly. Things have changed due to covid. Longer movies do have a higher risk factor that plays into whether one is willing to watch a film.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
I planned to see Avatar this weekend, but ended up getting sick. Plan to go in the next week or two when I feel better.

Definitely aiming for IMAX 3D.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's a great start as it is significantly below expectations but Cameron's movies are all about the legs and word of mouth seems strong.
Yes, we have to give the movie 3 weekends before drawing any conclusions. Anyone doing so beforehand for better or for worse is just ass pulling.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Could have been a worse start. Which is funny considering how many blockbusters would kill for that number.

That gif reminds me that actual Last Airbender will be relevant to box office discussion on a few years.

Let's see how the holidays go for old Cameron.

Wednesday: Puss In Boots tries to steal from Avatar.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
We went from saying 3B$ or more to this. Quite the change in fortunes

Looking forward to the pink tags no matter which way it lands

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Posting in historic thread. Lol
I remember the BO thread in the old place when the first Avatar released, and the subsequent threads after haha

Although I don't think it'll repeat Avatar's performance. But should be interesting to see.

Anyway can't wait to watch it on Monday.

kowhite

May 14, 2019
in my social circle i'm genuinely the only one who went to see it this weekend (friday)

everyone i know is off to see it over the christmas break

Ive been posting in This thread for awhile and I'm not seeing it til Tuesday, and Friday.

And since the world revolves around me, 6 billion dollars.

ncsoft

Dec 11, 2017
$434M worldwide opening is a fine start.

A lot of us pegged it at $600M+, but then again that's mostly because we didn't realize that after loosening the zero-covid restriction so suddenly in China, people are either currently positive or are afraid to go out, resulting in what could have been a 150M+ OW to merely a $57M or so opening.

Aside from that, there are a list of worldwide markets that it has done quite remarkably, albeit domestically it underperformed (as well as Japan with major underperformance).
This $434M doesn't represent a uniform global underperformance, but more of an uneven start, partly dampened by the world cup anyway.

We'll see where it goes from here, sure, the $2.5B seems far away now (that would have depend on a reasonable China performance), but $2B is not at all out of reach.

OP
OP
Rvaan

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
Saw Empire of Light this week.
I liked it but was kinda mixed leaving the theater but as time has gone it just felt so messy. Weird followup from 1917 tbh

I would much rather he work on a DC movie, but either Marvel or DC would be lovely :)
James Cameron's Challengers of the Unknown