6. The Ten Commandments $1,169,830,000
7. Jaws-$1,143,743,800
8. Doctor Zhivago-$1,108,529,600
9. The Exorcist-$987,650,600-
10. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs-$973,370,000

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
Are we doing the adjusted for inflation rumble. Is that going down. A bloody, violent start to the new year.

Gonzalez

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saw this floating on twitter. I didn't realize Snow White made so much money.
wYqX5C1_FMPe207Hi-ru0HXVOkGkRqjvF1_YCcp-JwQ.jpg
Wow, even with inflation Avatar, and Titanic is right there with GWTW. While TFA is trailing behind the little alien, and only slightly ahead of the fake ass looking shark. Only two Avatar's needed to knock the sci-fi remake out of the top ten. You ready boys?

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, even with inflation Avatar, and Titanic is right there with GWTW. While TFA is trailing behind the little alien, and only slightly ahead of the fake ass looking shark. Only two Avatar's needed to knock the sci-fi remake out of the top ten. You ready boys?
Fake ass looking shark?

You know James Cameron himself would likely call you out if you tried to claim Avatar was better than grand daddy of all blockbusters, right?

Gonzalez

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fake ass looking shark?

You know James Cameron himself would likely call you out if you tried to claim Avatar was better than grand daddy of all blockbusters, right?
I think he'd admit at this point that the only good parts of that film are the guy bonding on the boat, and the shark eating Quint.

Jaws looks really rough now compared to the original Star Wars. Although I'll admit, I've only seen the Special Edition, and we all know that looks fantastic.

Last edited:

Bor Gullet

Oct 27, 2017
I think he'd admit at this point that the only good parts of that film are the guy bonding on the boat, and the shark eating Quint.

Jaws looks really rough now compared to the original Star Wars. Although I'll admit, I've only seen the Special Edition, and we all that looks fantastic.

Jaws looks amazing on blu ray. One of the best transfers I've ever seen

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
The adjusted for inflation numbers for old films is problematic on the domestic level, without throwing overseas into it. None of those are accurate.

Oct 31, 2017
Paris, France
Just because Jumanji is killing it at the US Box Offce I'm gonna see the movie tomorrow.

Is there anyway to have the numbers of viewers/audience at the US BO ? (In France we check the spectators numbers)

Bobby

Banned
Dec 30, 2017
Portland
The adjusted for inflation numbers for old films is problematic on the domestic level, without throwing overseas into it. None of those are accurate.

Hit em with the multiplier method, K-swiss!

(seriously, I forget exactly how it was supposed to work. Something about the number of films in a year, the average box-office of those films, and the multiplier the film you're trying to gauge of that average?)

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
At least Rock didn't fly through space like Superman or open with a battle about dropping bombs... In space.

Have you seen the movie? You are talking about realism in Jumanji? Where characters die and come back because they are on a video game. Or was it awesome when the hot girl turned into jack black and got a boner when hugging nick Jonas?

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Saw this floating on twitter. I didn't realize Snow White made so much money.
wYqX5C1_FMPe207Hi-ru0HXVOkGkRqjvF1_YCcp-JwQ.jpg
This is wildly inaccurate/misleading. Some of those have decades of undocumented runs lumped in from the pre-VHS era (like Snow White - that's 50 years of reissues right there, and Disney reissued their cartoons a LOT), and inflation-adjusting worldwide numbers doesn't even make sense.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Jumangi with no surprises. Easily the best family movie this holiday season and beyond.

That's the magic....family film, the industry needs more experiences like that.

Gonzalez

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe he did the home work, and it is accurate. Unless somebody here is willing to get the legit numbers, I'll just see it as fact.

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
At least Rock didn't fly through space like Superman or open with a battle about dropping bombs... In space.

594248_v2.gif

So it looks like that list is originating from this site:

http://www.zimbio.com/The+Highest-Grossing+Movies+of+All+Time+Adjusted+for+Inflation+2017

Where their information is presented in the most credible format in journalism...

a top 10 slideshow.

edit: or maybe this Reddit thread?

https://www.reddit.com/r/boxoffice/...t_grossing_movies_of/?st=jc59pr4k&sh=3405447e

Ionno nobody really wants to take credit for it I guess.

Tagesreste

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This chart is outright missing some films in the top 25. :/ CMBYN is above Three Billboards, for example.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Just on a surface level, Mojo's domestic inflation number for Titanic is probably pretty accurate (it was released in the 1982-2008 sweet spot, after we had full documentation, and before other factors started to mess things up).

Mojo has the adjusted Titanic domestic Run at $1.2B. Titanic did more than $1.5B overseas before any adjusting (but with the re-release). How does it make logical sense that the adjusted overseas total would only increase by a bit more than 30% ($500M) in 20 years? Especially if the domestic came close to doubling. Hint: It's because those numbers are BS.

Every film is going to have the same issue. Never mind trying to factor in shifting exchange rates.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
594248_v2.gif

So it looks like that list is originating from this site:

http://www.zimbio.com/The+Highest-Grossing+Movies+of+All+Time+Adjusted+for+Inflation+2017

Where their information is presented in the most credible format in journalism...

a top 10 slideshow.

edit: or maybe this Reddit thread?

https://www.reddit.com/r/boxoffice/...t_grossing_movies_of/?st=jc59pr4k&sh=3405447e

Ionno nobody really wants to take credit for it I guess.
Because nobody wants their name on a whack ass, inaccurate shit chart like that.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Maybe he did the home work, and it is accurate. Unless somebody here is willing to get the legit numbers, I'll just see it as fact.
For something like Gone With the Wind or Snow White, the data just doesn't even exist to make an accurate adjustment. Even places like Box Office Mojo don't have accurate adjustment data for domestic numbers going back a couple decades. Adjusting the international haul from an 80 year old movie? Even if that made any sort of sense (it doesn't - with the massive changes in international film industry sizes and currency conversion rates that have occurred, it's already extremely difficult to compare films from across the last decade), there is no way to get those numbers and then accurately convert them for any sort of reliable comparison.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
So I did a rough comparison between the 1st and 2nd SW films in each trilogy to see how TLJ stacks up. This is assuming TLJ makes 625M domestic, 675M foreign, 1.3B worldwide.

Domestic drop:

EP1>EP2= 30%
EP4>EP5= 32%
EP7>EP8= 33%

Foreign drop:

EP1>EP2= 39%
EP4>EP5= 22%
EP7>EP8= 39%

Worldwide drop:

EP1>EP2= 35%
EP4>EP5= 29%
EP7>EP8= 35%

Seems like TLJ is about where it's expected to be, overall, from these examples anyway (I have no idea what Disney's actual target was). And that's without considering the incredibly unusual hype it had to follow from TFA (ie continuing the story for the first time in 30ish years, bringing back old cast members, bouncing back from the previous trilogy). EP7 made an ungodly amount of cash.

Domestically, it lines up almost exactly with the other second films.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, Jumanji's worldwide is very surprising. The Rock continues to be a money maker.

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I saw Insidious 4, and it was packed, mainly teenagers. People were really into it, but thought it was so-so. It's more of a comedy with horror elements.

Blade Runner finally hit the budget theater. Hoping to catch it next weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.