• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
This is ResetEra's weekend box office thread. While the OP focuses on the popular weekend tallies, we typically discuss box office throughout the week as well when notable films are playing. New threads are posted each Sunday morning, between 8-10am PST.

Cesar+Romero.gif

Warner Bros. Laughing All The Way To The Bank With 'Joker': $93.5M-$95M+ Debut Reps Records For October, Todd Phillips, Joaquin Phoenix & Robert De Niro

Since Thursday night Warner Bros./Village Roadshow/Bron Studios' Joker has overindexed. On Friday night, industry estimates had it at $94M with Warner Bros. reporting a $39.9M opening day, and the town is now seeing an opening that's north of $95M. Warner's number this morning is $93.5M, predicting a $21M Sunday. Saturday did very well with $32.7M, -18% from Friday. Final endgame for Joker is around $265M domestic, which is more than Venom a year ago which finaled at $213.5M.

One rival distribution source this morning believes that Joker, in play at 73 offshore territories, is heading to a worldwide opening of $195M-$210M+. That would be right behind Venom's opening October global record of $207.4M. We'll see soon.

CinemaScore audiences gave Joker a B+ grade on Friday night with Screen Engine/Comscore's PostTrak exits still showing 4 stars and a 60% definite recommend. These are solid grades to keep turnstiles spinning even though they're not perfect scores. A tad more under 25ers came out versus Thursday in updated Friday polls at 38% versus 33%, though 25+ still dominates at 62%. Overall, 18-34 represented 68% of all Joker ticket buyers. Men under 25 (23%) still love Joker the most at 92% along with females under 25 (14%) at 87%, with Men 25+ still leading (41% with an 81% grade) and women 25+ the third biggest demo of the night at 22% and the least impressed of the four quads at 79%. Updated diversity demos show Hispanics (24% and a 93% grade) and Asians (14% and a 91% grade) giving Joker a bigger thumbs up over Caucasians (44%, 81% grade) and African Americans (18% and a 74% grade).

DOMESTIC WEEKEND BOX OFFICE

Weekend Box Office Archive and Appendix

Last edited:

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois
Abombainble which is weird is it's a pretty decent film, I guess audiences are tired of animated snowmen movies plus barely any marketing in the U.S.

Glad to see Judy holding weight and increasing the theater count

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Genuine question - What's the prevailing theory on why those early Joker reviews were so positive, only to be followed by mixed reviews across the board?

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Absolutely not trolling here, do you guys think that it's possible that Joker drops less than the usual amount next week because people who didn't want to get mass shooting'd this opening weekend may show up next week?
With a B+ cinemascore, it may not have amazing legs, but I was just spitballing a scenario that I've heard some people, friends included, say.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Between this and Venom, seems like first week of October is prime spot to release your shitty R-rated comic book movie and make a killing

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
That's how it is

Pet Semetary was like 80s90s in the beginning and then people actually saw it and realized how garbage it was
True, but the case with Joker is slightly different. Pet Sematary didn't win one of the most prestigious film awards in the world.

After seeing the movie, I really wonder what the hell the Venice jury saw in the film, especially since it didn't do anything at other film festivals it played at. It's pretty mediocre outside of Phoenix's performance and the cinematography.

Genuine question - What's the prevailing theory on why those early Joker reviews were so positive, only to be followed by mixed reviews across the board?
Most attribute it to the split between international critics, who appear to be quite up on it on the whole, and domestic critics, who do feel that given the current political climate that releasing it now is somewhat dangerous. As it premiered at Venice, you had more of the former to read reviews from, but from Toronto onward, you had way more US critics weighing in and that has been the majority of the reception since.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Excited to see this. After trash like Avengers end game and Aquaman I am curious if this has at least some redeeming qualities and breaks the terrible cbm mould.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York

I had a theory on Twitter this morning, which is probably foolish and all.
But a lot of Joker reviews were reactionary to other reviews.

So it came out strong with the Venice Film Fest and that crowd, getting near perfect scores. So when others started to see it, it didn't live up to those lofty expectations. Then people started commenting on the content and how its violence will incite some sort of violence. Which became the focal point for some time. Which then was countered again when ever more people got to see the movie and reacted to the second set of reviews talking about how this movie won't incite violence or anything it's safe and boring or whatever.

But it seems that what has remained true through most of it is it has a stellar performance at its core that seems to resonate with most people.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most attribute it to the split between international critics, who appear to be quite up on it on the whole, and domestic critics, who do feel that given the current political climate that releasing it now is somewhat dangerous.
I don't see that many critics complaining about the "current political climate". Most just seem to think the movie is hollow, cynical, and doesn't really have that much to offer. Generally professional critics know better than to blame societal ills on cinema.

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
Peanut Butter Falcon is doing really well for itself. Has already outgrossed every movie picked up at Sundance this year, and is closing in on $20M. Maybe this really is Shia's year.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017

1) Score always goes down for genre films after a while since enthusiast press tends to jump the gun early
2) Festival bubble hype -- add to that the Venice festival's particular tendency to overhype tortured male characters
3) After the initial jolt of seeing a 'CMB' movie with different genre references the transparent pretentiousness of the film becomes clear

Superman

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
日本
ALL my friends in Japan are talking about this Joker movie and I have no idea why. Like, Endgame levels of "will you go see it? Let's go together!". It's only the joker but this is gonna reach 600-700 milli.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Nice to see Joker open strong.

Jaoquin and Pennywise saves WB this year.
Absolutely not trolling here, do you guys think that it's possible that Joker drops less than the usual amount next week because people who didn't want to get mass shooting'd this opening weekend may show up next week?
With a B+ cinemascore, it may not have amazing legs, but I was just spitballing a scenario that I've heard some people, friends included, say.
I think you're overestimating how many people fell for that dumb shit

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
IT Chapter 2 is still doing great considering its run time and decreased presence.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Great results for a great movie! Hopefully this inspires DC to do more of this kind of one of movies that are not like the typical comic movies!

I have a feeling Joker is this generation's Boondock Saints.
One's an immediate mainstream super-success that's gotten strong reception from mainstream audiences, the other is a film that barely had a theatrical release and didn't start getting a cult following until it hit home video, and that audience was limited to frat boys who were in college during the early 2000s.

Status
Not open for further replies.