Status
Not open for further replies.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
You mean to tell me a rotten movie with low Cinemascore, low metacritic, low iMDB and tons of shitty youtube videos trashing it had a drop?

Impossible, it has 86% audience score on RT!

Bisha Monkey

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
Think I might see TROS a third time this week

4ekamapc0qn11.gif

Oct 31, 2017
I still don't think the Friday drop "counts" in comparison to most movies. Most movies aren't released where nearly everyone has the following week off. ROS made a lot of money during that week, and the drop vs Wednesday and Thursday is in line with new movies being released.
It's a datapoint, but if you take it out of the context, it looks like the movie is performing worse overall than it really is.
Not a defense of the movie, just an observation that context is important.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
That's about a -70.3% from last Friday. For context, that compares to a -76.3% for The Last Jedi, -67.8% for Rogue One, and -58.6% for The Force Awakens
Last Jedi and Rogue One second Fridays also didnt land during the normal holiday period with everyone being off work. Force Awakens second friday was Christmas Day

I still don't think the Friday drop "counts" in comparison to most movies. Most movies aren't released where nearly everyone has the following week off. ROS made a lot of money during that week, and the drop vs Wednesday and Thursday is in line with new movies being released.
It's a datapoint, but if you take it out of the context, it looks like the movie is performing worse overall than it really is.
Not a defense of the movie, just an observation that context is important.

If everyone is off work now, the drop should be softer though.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
But if you compare its Thursday to Friday, it's only around $4-5m... and that's in line with the new movies that were released.
It dropped 14% from Thursday. Meanwhile, Frozen 2, Jumanji, and Spies in Disguise rose from Thursday. The films that did have a drop were in the 2-6% drop range.
The movie is still going to make money, but the week on week drop and that Thursday to Friday drop is not painting a rosy picture for its legs.

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
I notice you didnt specify in which region it would be, so you could technically be right next year!

THE SPICE WILL FLOW!
Bruh, if Dune becomes a hit at the BO, I'll change my avi to the God Emperor.
Honestly think $1 bill or less will become the new normal for Star Wars. It's an IP that's been riding the coat tails of ANH and Empire for a looooooooooong time and was insulated with large gaps between movies and huge gaps between trilogies to artificially build up demand.

That and the sugar rush of TFA is now completely gone and they can't do the whole "nostalgia movie" card anymore. It isn't big enough in China, and even if you like TLJ, 4/5 of the last 6 movies are kinda average to mediocre to flat out bad. That's not a good batting average.
I think during the prequel era it was somewhat able to stymie this due to releasing a whole bunch of cross-media shit, so if you didn't like the direction where the films were going, there was a game or book/comic or show that scratched your itch. Disney SW, by comparison, is mostly focused on the films with some cross-medium stuff, so it's not nearly as much to keep people engaged with the IP beyond the films.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Dune has only Uncharted, The Tomorrow War and The Last Duel as competition for roughly the same demo.

I'm optimistic that it'll do very well next year 😃

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Dune has only Uncharted, The Tomorrow War and The Last Duel as competition for roughly the same demo.

I'm optimistic that it'll do very well next year 😃

We said the same thing back in 2017 with BR2049 when its competition was The Mountain Between Us, Happy Death Day, Geostorm, etc. And that criminally didn't hit $100m dom :(

I also also hope Dune is great and does well at the box office though!

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I got Regal Unlimited and need to see at least 15 movies in 2020 for it to pay for itself/break even so I'm going to see anything that catches my eye

Dolittle
Bad Boys 4 Life
Birds of Prey
Sonic the Hedgehog
Bloodshot
A Quiet Place 2
Mulan
No Time to Die
Black Widow
Scoob!
Fast 9
Artemis Fowl
Wonder woman 84
Soul
Top Gun
Into the Heights
Free Guy
Ghostbusters
The Purge 5
Tenet
Jungle Cruise
Bill and Ted
The Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard
Monster Hunter
The King's Man
Venom 2
Death on the Nile
Halloween Kills
Snake Eyes
The Eternals
Godzilla vs Kong
Escape Room 2
Coming 2 America

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I warned you about B+ Cinemascore blockbusters having bad legs bro

I told you dog

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Potentially looking at a second weekend less than Last Jedi's. And TLJ had Christmas Eve neutering its second weekend number too.
If TROS keeps the trend there is an outside chance it makes less domestic than Rogue One.
What a world.

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Jat on BoT is saying 23-24M today based on presales. If that holds, TROS is looking at around a 69M weekend.

-61%

Status
Not open for further replies.