• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Spiderverse might be beating Bumblebee on Sunday

I'm confused with people heralding Aquaman a success (outside China that is).
Seems like very meh numbers to me, specially given the period and the amount of marketing...

Where are all the 80-100m+ hype- bringers of a week or two ago?
Obviously, we'll have to see the king of legs (or merman tail?) that it will have, but with that much competition in theaters during the Holidays and coming up right after... Eh.

To be clear, my Mortal engines has a 3 day that is like 1/14th of what Aquaman might open to based on presales' comment was for the 5 day holiday stretch. Turns out BOM had a similar take in their own article.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
What a shame. Mary was actually a decent movie.

Going to see BumbleBee on Xmas. I am in no rush to see Aquaman.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
I'm confused with people heralding Aquaman a success (outside China that is).
Seems like very meh numbers to me, specially given the period and the amount of marketing...

Where are all the 80-100m+ hype- bringers of a week or two ago?
Obviously, we'll have to see the king of legs (or merman tail?) that it will have, but with that much competition in theaters during the Holidays and coming up right after... Eh.

Those numbers were for five day. Not three day. December is a different situation. Also why the doom and gloom over Spiderverse is a bit much.

Illithid Dude

Oct 26, 2017
Marry Poppins didn't bomb you armchair idiots. Just because pretty number isn't bigger than Aquaman doesn't mean it failed. Learn about post Christmas box office patterns.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Marry Poppins didn't bomb you armchair idiots. Just because pretty number isn't bigger than Aquaman doesn't mean it failed. Learn about post Christmas box office patterns.

giphy.gif

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who does Mary Poppins appeal to? Arent the people that watched the original in their 80s?
I'm in my 30s and I couldn't wait for MPR. You're insane if you think that movie is catering only to the ones who saw the original in theaters in 1964 as if that movie wasn't a bonafide classic that's been rereleased in theaters, VHS, DVD, Bd, Netflix and paraded around on tv countless times.

Up until last year a scene of the movie was a permanent section of a ride in Disney's Hollywood Studios in Orlando for almost 30 years. Don't be this basic please.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just got back from Aquaman

It was by far my favorite DCU movie. By like a WIDE margin

Really hope it continues to perform well and we get a sequel

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'm in my 30s and I couldn't wait for MPR. You're insane if you think that movie is catering only to the ones who saw the original in theaters in 1964 as if that movie wasn't a bonafide classic that's been rereleased in theaters, VHS, DVD, Bd, Netflix and paraded around on tv countless times.

Up until last year a scene of the movie was a permanent section of a ride in Disney's Hollywood Studios in Orlando for almost 30 years. Don't be this basic please.
To be fair, based on first 5 days... Hard to argue it isn't appealing to a much smaller niche than your typical movie going

Do we have the audience break down

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, based on first 5 days... Hard to argue it isn't appealing to a much smaller niche than your typical movie going

Do we have the audience break down

Poppins's audience was 59% female with 61% of the opening weekend crowd coming in aged 25 years or older.

— BOM

All I have seen

Jie Li

Alt account
Banned
Dec 21, 2018
Haha Disney's "sad plot in every movie" gimmick bit them in the ass. Good!

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
Enjoyed aquaman. Who ever decided Marwen should be released this weekend needs to work in a different field. What a colossal mistake.

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Before Spider-Verse, there was Mask of the Phantasm. MotP is as good or better than most live action Batman films, yet it didn't perform to the level of the live action films and it rarely gets brought up in conversations of best Batman films outside of places like Era.

In fairness to Phantasm, that was originally supposed to be released straight-to-video, but WB thought it would make more money for a theatrical release...only for them to lose whatever faith they had in it shortly before it opened. It was dumped after fellow WB release Grumpy Old Men, which got most of WB's advertising focus and was screened for critics well before its release (Phantasm wasn't screened for critics until the last minute).

WB in general has a bad habit of doing this to their (partially) animated works. Iron Giant, PPG Movie, LT: Back in Action, Osmosis Jones. Even the TTG Movie from earlier this year was subject to this; despite how much the show it's based on pretty much rules Cartoon Network in promos and ratings.

With that said, apparently B:TAS was actually given a prime time slot on Fox during its original run, based on the strength of its critical praise...only for the resulting ratings to be awful.

RetroCCN

Oct 26, 2017
Too many big movies released too close to one another. There's at least 3 movies that released this weekend that I would have gone to see otherwise had they released almost any other time.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Im really surprised at how much Bumblebee love its getting cause the trailers looked awful.

Honestly, Aquaman was pretty boring but inoffensive compared to other DC fare. Spiderman was awesome and I did love Mary Poppins Returns.

JealousKenny

Banned
Jul 17, 2018

So was Tarzan and a lot of other left in the past IPs. That ride was out of date and needed a 100% gut job to remain relevant, Disney decided to cut their losses and just remove the whole damn thing. Mary Poppins is something old people assume everyone should like and keep trying to force on you.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I find it a little funny looking back at old threads and posts on the internet of people certain Mary Poppins was going to destroy Aquaman at the BO.

I was one of those people. I thought Aquaman had just to much DCEU baggage and MPR had built in interest.

I ended up seeing both and really enjoyed both, but if I were to recommend just one to a person who would see either, it would be Aquaman, no contest. It's crazy in the best way.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
This is too true, wonder how solo would have down if it opened this month. Such a shame, good movie

Would have done sub-MPR numbers.
I find it a little funny looking back at old threads and posts on the internet of people certain Mary Poppins was going to destroy Aquaman at the BO.

I thought Poppins was going to be way more competitive but I think it was nostalgia talking. Once I realized my wife and I weren't even interested my expectations dropped..

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
lol

Matt Reeves' Batman is going to be an easy billion

Get someone who isn't Zach Snyder on a Superman movie and it probably cleans up

I would love for the Reeves Batman movie(s) to happen. I have just lost all faith that they ever materialize at this point. Hopefully I am wrong.

Is it though? I'm personally tired of Batman and Superman. They've been done to death and I will never watch another one (at least in theater).

We have had two good Superman movies, and they were from 40 years ago.

Batman has the greatest set of villains in all of... Anything. Many of them have gone untouched cinematically, or to a real extent at least. Same with Robin and any of the rest of the family.

The one thing Snyder got right was giving us a more comic-book Batman than we have ever seen in a movie before. I need more of it, and from someone who doesn't kind of suck.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
LOL, all those previews and Mary Poppins only made $22 million?

And people actually went to see that garbage-looking Aquaman movie? Who even CARES about Aquaman?

Hinkypunk

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Let's not forget to point and laugh at Deadpool. That per theatre take is atrocious, even worse than Mortal Engines, lol.

Greedy bastards deserve it for their cash grab. I shouldn't have to Google "what is once upon a deadpool" to understand wtf the movie is. I hope Ryan Reynolds learns why you shouldn't value twitter suggestions. There's a reason it's a recommendation from a twitter rando and not your marketing executive at Marvel, lmao.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
LOL, all those previews and Mary Poppins only made $22 million?

And people actually went to see that garbage-looking Aquaman movie? Who even CARES about Aquaman?
At least.......$482 million and counting worth of people care about Aquaman. :p

In fairness to Phantasm, that was originally supposed to be released straight-to-video, but WB thought it would make more money for a theatrical release...only for them to lose whatever faith they had in it shortly before it opened. It was dumped after fellow WB release Grumpy Old Men, which got most of WB's advertising focus and was screened for critics well before its release (Phantasm wasn't screened for critics until the last minute).

WB in general has a bad habit of doing this to their (partially) animated works. Iron Giant, PPG Movie, LT: Back in Action, Osmosis Jones. Even the TTG Movie from earlier this year was subject to this; despite how much the show it's based on pretty much rules Cartoon Network in promos and ratings.

With that said, apparently B:TAS was actually given a prime time slot on Fox during its original run, based on the strength of its critical praise...only for the resulting ratings to be awful.
Ahh I see. Would have been interesting to see what the movie could have done if WB had given it a real chance.

Jeffolation

Oct 30, 2017
Looking forward to seeing Aquaman, Bumblebee and The Favorite. Probably won't get around to seeing the animated Spiderman flick due to general SM fatigue and it's confusing premise.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to seeing Aquaman, Bumblebee and The Favorite. Probably won't get around to seeing the animated Spiderman flick due to general SM fatigue and it's confusing premise.

If you enjoy animation or superhero films you should try and see Spider-Verse. It's phenomenal and the premise boils down to multiple Spider-Men doing what Spider-Man do.

Status
Not open for further replies.