Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
Sweeney Swift why are you doing that to yourself?

I'm frankly sick of having to defend what I like and how I like it in bulletpoint or essay form numerous times anytime I express liking something you don't (whether the "you" is directed to you specifically or JB or viper or anybody). I get it if you don't, "oh hey it looks weird, easier target than Star Wars", but meanwhile my posts about hating Star Wars are limited to hating the experience of TROS, how much I think the film sucks in basically every way (good job on bringing
the porgs for a scene
back tho), and I don't @ anyone about it surprised that they dug it enough to watch it more than once, even though I personally can't imagine ever doing that, because that's Not my experience with it

Meanwhile with Cats: I don't think I've had a more fun experience with a musical film in theaters! Maybe I haven't seen the right ones, but I loved the surrealism of the looks and environments, I laughed at a lot of the cheesiness and jokes, I appreciated a surprising amount of the choreography (the Skimbleshanks scene was an immediate highlight that comes to mind) and I dug the music (especially the original song Taylor Swift contributed to the soundtrack which gets its own great unique scene with a different character onscreen) and those two things are basically The reasons to watch musicals in that if they work, so does the film.

A lot of Cats worked wonders for me. If it doesn't or if you can't get past the weirdness (or even weirdness is actively a bad thing for you), that's fine. It's not at all actively a bad thing for me. It actively made this a delight to watch, once and over and over again. There's been something new I've noticed, or a scene that finally clicked, or a song I liked more, each time. There were films I loved even more than this this year, and I think I even mentioned earlier that right now if it's in my top 10 it's just barely rounding out the list, but I don't think I've ever had an experience quite like this in a theater and it's one film I keep coming back to and the feeling doesn't really go away (or at least it hasn't yet) since. Maybe that positive experience all goes away for me when I watch it on a smaller screen, but I really doubt that. This was a lot of fun, and it hasn't really stopped being fun. That's my experience with Cats

Last edited:

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
TROS is quip city? Maybe, from a certain point of view.

"Over my dead body."
"That's the idea."

"I'm out of it for a little while and everyone's got delusions of grandeur."

"How we doin?"
"Same as always."
"That bad, huh?"

"This is where the fun begins."

"You were right about one thing, Master: the negotiations were short."

"I have the high ground."

"I used to live here, you know."
"You're gonna die here, you know. Convenient."

"Would it help if I got out and pushed?"
"It might."

"You said you wanted to be around when I made a mistake. Well, this could be it, sweetheart."

"I don't have time to discuss this with a committee."
"I am NOT a committee!"

"Will someone get this walking carpet out of my way?"

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought."

The galaxy in which Star Wars takes place is aptly named "Quip City". YMMV.
Of all the complaints lobbed against the new SW movies, "Marvel humor" is always the one that struck me the most as bitch-eating-crackers. Gasp, Star Wars has jokes! As if that wasn't true for literally any of the other six movies.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see the numbers on Jumanji, fun movie. Hopefully with Cats going in the direction its heading we may get a faster release on its
Blu-ray, I want to see it but not that badly.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Because it's my second-favorite film in this stacked year, a fantastic film that surpasses the original in numerous ways, has an incredible soundtrack (including Show Yourself, a personally impactful song that is getting more plays at least for me than I gave even Let It Go, an impressive feat I certainly didn't expect when this film got announced), and has a lot of memorable moments, scenes, and messages throughout its well-paced runtime

I appreciate being consistently told I'm the worst for liking certain films here, considering this thread and the last one. If it didn't work for you, you're allowed to think that. The world doesn't have to agree with you on everything (financially and critically in fact it will end up Disagreeing with you that Frozen is worse than Star Wars this year), and god knows I don't have to either
Totally agree. Do the next right thing is also an incredibly emotive song and sends a really positive message on how to deal with grief and depression which I have no doubt will positively impact on thousands of lives.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
TFA definitely overperformed but these billion dollar blockbusters don't just bleed constantly like Star Wars unless someone is shitting in the pot. These Episodes could comfortably gross in the 1.2-1.4B range and be fine but now we're talking about struggling to beat Rogue One.

Star Wars, as it exists in the hands of Disney, is not a franchise that can sustain a movie every year. Everything feels too samey and not willing to take risks.

That I think is the biggest factor here.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Star Wars, as it exists in the hands of Disney, is not a franchise that can sustain a movie every year. Everything feels too samey and not willing to take risks.

Yeah, all the Star Wars movies have similar tones, visual direction, etc.

If they could mix it up more like Marvel they'd be able to sustain one Star Wars movie a year

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
My 2019 Top 10:

1. Avengers Endgame
2. Toy Story 4
3. Knives Out
4. Shazam!
5. Frozen 2
6. Spider-Man: Far From Home
7. The Lego Movie 2
8. Crawl
9. Star Wars: The Rise Of Skywalker
10. Captain Marvel

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
TFA definitely overperformed but these billion dollar blockbusters don't just bleed constantly like Star Wars unless someone is shitting in the pot. These Episodes could comfortably gross in the 1.2-1.4B range and be fine but now we're talking about struggling to beat Rogue One.

Tbf they were doing fine until Solo, and Rogue One and Last Jedi had no problem stepping out of the series' comfort zone.

Solo was a huge misfire that Kasdan was pushing for well before the Disney buyout, and Rise of Skywalker just isn't a very well-received movie.

It's not like every single MCU film grosses a billion, they've had some misfires, but you also get 2-3 of those a year so I think it's just easier for them to fade into relative obscurity.

They just need to make the next Star Wars good, and people will see it. More of a simple fix than an easy one, but all the same. Also need to stick to the December release dates, I think Solo would have done much better in that slot.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Top 5 off the top of my head

1) Last Black Man in San Francisco
2) The Irishman
3) Marriage Story
4) The Two Popes
5) John Wick 3

Movies I haven't seen yet, but sure would make my list:
1) Waves
2) Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
3) The Lighthouse

My 2019 Top 10:

1. Avengers Endgame
2. Toy Story 4
3. Knives Out
4. Shazam!
5. Frozen 2
7. The Lego Movie 2
8. Crawl
10. Captain Marvel
🤢
at least you have Shazam and Crawl on there

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I didn't like Frozen 1 so I just... skipped Frozen 2.

Though that first trailer with the darker tone intrigued me at the time.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Finally got around to seeing Knives Out. In a cast full of renowned actors, Ana de Armas still kicks everyone's ass. Damn, what a performance. Loved her in BR2049 but she's even better here.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Didn't go to the cinema much this year, thankfully Netflix got some great releases:
1. Booksmart
2. Parasite
3. The Irishman
4. Endgame
5. Marriage Story

Madao

Avalanche's One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
Tier 0 fan: Heretics who watch in Machete order
Tier 1 fan: Casuals who don't know much about Star Wars
Tier 2 fan: Normal people
Tier 3 fan: Obsessed people
Tier 4 fan: Enlightened patricians who respectfully enjoy all of Star Wars
Tier 5 fan: Aphra, Ahsoka, and Sabine fans

i'm in 0 because i used that order when i got the Bluray set back in 2015. rip

where does someone who watched in chronological order fall?

Oct 27, 2017
My favorites this year were:

1. Parasite
  2. Avengers: Endgame
  3. John Wick: Chapter 3
  4. The Farewell
  5. Always Be My Maybe
  6. Knives Out
  7. Spider-Man: Far From Home
  8. Midsommar
  9. Us
  10. Booksmart
Many more great films this year. Such a good year for film.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For all the crap RJ got for the Holdo maneuver, why didn't people care more about lighspeed jumps into atmosphere? (Or for Trek fans, transporters that work across the galaxy).

JJ really seems to like breaking the rules but people give shit to RJ for one reasonable leap.

People complained about both of those things (the solo maneuver and the transporter jump), it's just a question of focus in the story. The Holdo maneuver was a thermonuclear bomb in comparison the the other things. Especially given its place in the story and the cost/effect trade off.

Tbf they were doing fine until Solo, and Rogue One and Last Jedi had no problem stepping out of the series' comfort zone.

Solo was a huge misfire that Kasdan was pushing for well before the Disney buyout, and Rise of Skywalker just isn't a very well-received movie.

It's not like every single MCU film grosses a billion, they've had some misfires, but you also get 2-3 of those a year so I think it's just easier for them to fade into relative obscurity.

They just need to make the next Star Wars good, and people will see it. More of a simple fix than an easy one, but all the same. Also need to stick to the December release dates, I think Solo would have done much better in that slot.

They were not doing fine, they were trading long term sustainability and quality for short term profits. Solo wasn't an anomaly but a consequence of the systemic issues they created by mandating such tight production schedules, turnarounds, and hiring decisions.

Even the MCUs relative misfires have outgrossed their previous entries. The reason that StarWars has become saturated, seeing perpetual declines, and the MCU has only grown in frequency and popularity is down the structural and authorial differences, not that 'MCU stinkers can fade into the background'.

The solution to Star Wars isn't to simply release more films. If you want an MCU like operation then you need to structure the productions the same as an MCU mostly linear ongoing multi focused narrative.

And you need to have a lead producer capable of consistently making smart hiring decisions and planning things out well ahead of time, and having a creative vision with good narrative instincts, something Lucasfilms as a whole currently sucks at.

Last edited:

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
They were not doing fine, they were trading long term sustainability and quality for short term profits. Solo wasn't an anomaly but a consequence of the systemic issues they created by mandating such tight production schedules, turnarounds, and hiring decisions.

Even the MCUs relative misfires have outgrossed their previous entries. The reason that StarWars has become saturated, seeing perpetual declines, and the MCU has only grown in frequency and popularity is down the structural and authorial differences, not that 'MCU stinkers can fade into the background'.

The solution to Star Wars isn't to simply release more films. If you want an MCU like operation then you need to structure the productions the same as an MCU mostly linear ongoing multi focused narrative.

And you need to have a lead producer capable of consistently making smart hiring decisions and planning things out well ahead of time, and having a creative vision with good narrative instincts, something Lucasfilms as a whole currently sucks at.
They made back their investment in Lucasfilm from box office gross alone after just three movies. I'd say fine is an understatement.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Rogue One was NOT a step out of their comfort zone.

Like at all.
giphy.gif

It's true that it featured a lot of retro pandering but was quite different narratively from any of the other films.

Like this is literally the critical consensus on RT:

Rogue One draws deep on Star Wars mythology while breaking new narrative and aesthetic ground -- and suggesting a bright blockbuster future for the franchise.
I'm not aware anything I said was super controversial but here we are.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

It's true that it featured a lot of retro pandering but was quite different narratively from any of the other films.

Like this is literally the critical consensus on RT:

I'm not aware anything I said was super controversial but here we are.

This is like arguing that Winter Soldier was a political thriller. Rogue One was an adjustment from the norm about as much as Solo was, but it by no means was outside of their comfort zone or genre staples. The issue withStarWars as compared to the MCU is that it's much harder to make an actually distinctive film when your central defining element is not a character, but a sci fi alien galactic society.

Edit : It should also be pointed out that the massive reshoots it underwent adjusted things to make it even more in line with traditional Star Wars.

Last edited:

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People are seriously arguing Rogue One wasn't a safe as fuck spin-off?

LMFAO

Creating 'OT fanwank' the movie that also focuses on 'gritty warrrrr' as the then next year followup to The Force Awakens was a massive risk, what are you talking about?!

Seems like we're blaming everyone for Rise of Skywalker except the hacks who wrote and directed it.

Blaming only them is massively incomplete reading of how the film ended up in this state. There are a lot of issues that have led to this point, leading all the way back to pre TFA. Those things are just as if not more important.

It's ludicrous to only look at them, and to completely ignore all of the compounding issues and shit hand the films production was dealt.

Zaiven

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 12, 2019
Let's not forget that even the guy who made Star Wars eventually got tired of having to actually produce Star Wars content.

Because it's my second-favorite film in this stacked year, a fantastic film that surpasses the original in numerous ways, has an incredible soundtrack (including Show Yourself, a personally impactful song that is getting more plays at least for me than I gave even Let It Go, an impressive feat I certainly didn't expect when this film got announced), and has a lot of memorable moments, scenes, and messages throughout its well-paced runtime

I appreciate being consistently told I'm the worst for liking certain films here, considering this thread and the last one. If it didn't work for you, you're allowed to think that. The world doesn't have to agree with you on everything (financially and critically in fact it will end up Disagreeing with you that Frozen is worse than Star Wars this year), and god knows I don't have to either
Sounds to me like you're getting a little too invested in your fiction. Your value as a person isn't validated, or invalidated, by the entertainment products you like finding widespread commercial success. Besides, I find it difficult to believe that you haven't at some point criticized somebody else for their entertainment choices.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
People are seriously arguing Rogue One wasn't a safe as fuck spin-off?

LMFAO
Lol. Star wars is in trouble because as much as people want something new time and time again has shown that nostalgia tie ins reign supreme.

Will be interesting if Disney says fuck it and finally gets creative which isn't their mo

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My 2019 Top 10:

1. Avengers Endgame
2. Toy Story 4
3. Knives Out
4. Shazam!
5. Frozen 2
7. The Lego Movie 2
8. Crawl
10. Captain Marvel

Since this is the last thread of the year, I feel its appropriate to do this as well.

My Top 10 of 2019 released films I saw this year:

1. Little Women
2. Parasite
3. Midsommar
4. Knives Out
5. Uncut Gems
6. Ford vs Ferrari
7. Frozen II
8. Toy Story 4
9. Ad Astra
10. Avengers Endgame

I have a full list I'll post later, but its not done yet, cause I'm seeing The Lighthouse today, saw Booksmart yesterday and will probably see The farewell and Ready or Not soon and still have to rate Marriage Story as well, so that full list is not done.

I can say I've gone to see 25 movies in theaters this year, for a total of around 40 2019 movies watched this year (the other 15 were home releases). Endgame I saw 6 times, John Wick 3 and Captain Marvel twice for a total of 32 visits to the theater for the year. I usually don't watch bad movies, so the list of movies I truly hated is short, probably only like the bottom 5.

Definitely a record year for me lol.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Yeah, all the Star Wars movies have similar tones, visual direction, etc.

If they could mix it up more like Marvel they'd be able to sustain one Star Wars movie a year

Without the international box office, it's never gonna be able to be like Marvel and sustain a movie every year. Star Wars not catching on internationally really limits where it can go.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm frankly sick of having to defend what I like and how I like it in bulletpoint or essay form numerous times anytime I express liking something you don't (whether the "you" is directed to you specifically or JB or viper or anybody). I get it if you don't, "oh hey it looks weird, easier target than Star Wars", but meanwhile my posts about hating Star Wars are limited to hating the experience of TROS, how much I think the film sucks in basically every way (good job on bringing
the porgs for a scene
back tho), and I don't @ anyone about it surprised that they dug it enough to watch it more than once, even though I personally can't imagine ever doing that, because that's Not my experience with it

Meanwhile with Cats: I don't think I've had a more fun experience with a musical film in theaters! Maybe I haven't seen the right ones, but I loved the surrealism of the looks and environments, I laughed at a lot of the cheesiness and jokes, I appreciated a surprising amount of the choreography (the Skimbleshanks scene was an immediate highlight that comes to mind) and I dug the music (especially the original song Taylor Swift contributed to the soundtrack which gets its own great unique scene with a different character onscreen) and those two things are basically The reasons to watch musicals in that if they work, so does the film.

A lot of Cats worked wonders for me. If it doesn't or if you can't get past the weirdness (or even weirdness is actively a bad thing for you), that's fine. It's not at all actively a bad thing for me. It actively made this a delight to watch, once and over and over again. There's been something new I've noticed, or a scene that finally clicked, or a song I liked more, each time. There were films I loved even more than this this year, and I think I even mentioned earlier that right now if it's in my top 10 it's just barely rounding out the list, but I don't think I've ever had an experience quite like this in a theater and it's one film I keep coming back to and the feeling doesn't really go away (or at least it hasn't yet) since. Maybe that positive experience all goes away for me when I watch it on a smaller screen, but I really doubt that. This was a lot of fun, and it hasn't really stopped being fun. That's my experience with Cats
It is unfortunate how much glee people get from tearing these films apart. Especially if they haven't seen it.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My Top 11, 11 because some heathens might say that Klaus doesn't count.

1. Knives Out
  2. Klaus
  3. Avenger's Endgame
  4. Spiderman: Far From Home
  5. How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World
  6. Frozen II
  7. John Wick Chapter 3: Parabellum
  8. Booksmart
  9. Toy Story 4
  10. Le Mans '66 (Ford VS Ferrari since the US don't know what a Le Mans is).
  11. Promare

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
Wide release of 1917 when?! I hate this shit, no one distributes movies in Chicago until they go wide. Bastards. Let me give you my money!
GIFs of TLJ are so painful

Look at the craft, the framing of this shot

Look at Hamill's conviction, the lightsaber shining in his eyes

Look at the salt falling like snow, the wind parting his hair which looks believably attached to his skull

Look at that dialogue, owning his punk nephew, recalling words he used with Rey, reminding the audience how dope this script is

RJ the god gave us ambrosia and now we have sour green milk
Tbh the quality decline is unbelievable. In script, cinematography, filming. Like shocking LOL

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
My Top 11, 11 because some heathens might say that Klaus doesn't count.

1. Knives Out
  2. Klaus
  3. Avenger's Endgame
  4. Spiderman: Far From Home
  5. How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World
  6. Frozen II
  7. John Wick Chapter 3: Parabellum
  8. Booksmart
  9. Toy Story 4
  10. Le Mans '66 (Ford VS Ferrari since the US don't know what a Le Mans is).
  11. Promare

I might watch Klaus tomorrow, I really like the animation look from what I saw in the trailer

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Since this is the last thread of the year, I feel its appropriate to do this as well.

My Top 10 of 2019 released films I saw this year:

1. Little Women
2. Parasite
3. Midsommar
4. Knives Out
5. Uncut Gems
6. Ford vs Ferrari
7. Frozen II
8. Toy Story 4
9. Ad Astra
10. Avengers Endgame

I have a full list I'll post later, but its not done yet, cause I'm seeing The Lighthouse today, saw Booksmart yesterday and will probably see The farewell and Ready or Not soon and still have to rate Marriage Story as well, so that full list is not done.

I can say I've gone to see 25 movies in theaters this year, for a total of around 40 2019 movies watched this year (the other 15 were home releases). Endgame I saw 6 times, John Wick 3 and Captain Marvel twice for a total of 32 visits to the theater for the year. I usually don't watch bad movies, so the list of movies I truly hated is short, probably only like the bottom 5.

Definitely a record year for me lol.
No Wonder Park? judging you

Status
Not open for further replies.