• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We finally get a great Transformers movie and it's being sent out to die.

avengers-4-tony-stark-1200.jpg

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
I see. Even then, it seems like maybe this sequel will perform more or less similar to the first.
This is the latest update from Screendaily on it:
Ralph Breaks The Internet added $18.5m from 30 material territories to propel the early haul to $117.9m and $258.2m worldwide. A strong start in Spain delivered $4.6m for the second biggest Disney Animation opening in history. The film held on to number one in the UK for the second consecutive weekend, adding $3.1m for $9.4m. The lead market is China on $38.4m, followed by Mexico on $15.1m, then Russia on $12m.
I don't have comparative numbers for the first one at hand so I'm not gonna make any predictions as such, but it seems to be doing quite alright for itself.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like how even though Venom got its screens slashed in China due to Aquaman, it's still hanging in the top 5 in China, and gain roughly 1000 showings going from Sunday to Monday. Thanks Adrift. Dog 13 might fall below it by the weekend.

http://english.entgroup.cn/boxoffice/cn/daily

Last edited:

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
Can we not do this at this hour? It's like you guys purposefully wait until kswiss has tuckered off into bed before bringing out your weird bear stats and Chinese magic numbers.

AndyVirus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The Grinch has performed comparably to other Illumination films in the States but seems to have bombed in the rest of the world? Do people not really care for Christmas movies? Even if it picks up traction the next couple of weeks for the holidays it doesn't seem like it'll get close to Secret Life of Pets. I had it as my wildcard for top 5 worldwide in 2018 >.<

LFMartins86

Nov 7, 2017
The Grinch has performed comparably to other Illumination films in the States but seems to have bombed in the rest of the world? Do people not really care for Christmas movies? Even if it picks up traction the next couple of weeks for the holidays it doesn't seem like it'll get close to Secret Life of Pets. I had it as my wildcard for top 5 worldwide in 2018 >.<
Dr. Seuss isn't that well known outside the US but, even so, The Grinch already made more than the live action movie outside the US and it's currently only behind Horton and the Lomax.

admataY

Oct 25, 2017
The world is ready for a Wotjek biopic . It would sweep the oscars and the general crowd .
wojtek-troops.jpg

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Wreck-it-Ralph 2 seems to be doing not so hot worldwide. What happened?
It isn't out in a bunch of countries until January. It ain't even coming to my country until February 7 2019.

[edit] thought your post was the last one in the thread, until I realized there was a whole other page.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Coming from France, I had never even heard of Dr Seuss until the Grinch movie with Jim Carrey, and it was widely considered a frantic abomination there (as we have no relation to the original tale).

It's not until I met my wife, and then moved to the US, that I understood just how important and beloved the author is, and his stories so widely known here.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That would put it under Lego Batman iirc. That's a shame, animation is such a perfect medium for superheroes. Movie audiences don't seem too accepting of non-live-action versions of Marvel and DC characters. But maybe it'll over-perform.

While this is under, LEGO Batman was a Feb release, so reviews and the season will help it leg some. Batman did have decent legs though. Spider-verse would be doing better if they'd actually explained the heart of the movie, but don't underestimate how December can make animated features leg.

Last edited:

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017

To compare with other recent December openings for animated films;
Ferdinand, opened on a similar date (the 15th) to $13M OW, went on to make $84M total
Sing
, opened later in the month (the 23rd) to $35M OW, went on to make $270M total

So unless it for some reason really doesn't leg out, it should be more than fine. Might not hit the same multiplier as Sing because of when it launches and that it being based on a comic could make it a bit more frontloaded, but could conceivably do better if thinks shakes out its way (with competition, Oscar nod, good WOM)

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Variety's take is even more positive for Spider-Verse (because again, a $30+M OW in December ≠ a $30+ OW in another month)
Studios are re-entering the fray after a quiet post-Thanksgiving frame, and "Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse" looks to be the title that ends "Ralph's" three-week reign. Sony is projecting a $30 million launch when the web-slinging superhero enters over 3,800 North American venues. Industry analysts are far more bullish and anticipate that early buzz could lift its start to north of $39 million.
If it hits $39+M, even with potential frontloading thanks to comic fans, and with really fierce competition affecting its legs, it would be more surprising if it misses $200M than if it gets over it. The only potential warning sign would be if it gets a real bad CinemaScore/whatever the other polling audiences one is since that could indicate that it's a miss with the general audience. I don't think that's very likely though

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even on a larger scale we had Moana and Tangled opening in late November and they did

57/249
49/201

Respectively.

Spider-verse should be good for at least 150-200m DOM with an opening range that seems to be hovering within 30-40m.

Variety's take is even more positive for Spider-Verse (because again, a $30+M OW in December ≠ a $30+ OW in another month)

If it hits $39+M, even with potential frontloading thanks to comic fans, and with really fierce competition affecting its legs, it would be more surprising if it misses $200M than if it gets over it. The only potential warning sign would be if it gets a real bad CinemaScore/whatever the other polling audiences one is since that could indicate that it's a miss with the general audience. I don't think that's very likely though

It would be quite odd for that to happen given that prescreenings were positive and CinemaScore is sampling from the people who tend to be the most forgiving/passionate about the thing they are seeing opening night ish.

Last edited:

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Haha Spider-verse is going to be successful and get sequels; there's no need to un-bury the hatchet against Venom.

especially since they'll be entwined sooner rather than later

Last edited:

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
At the very least Spider-man's budget is only 90M(Only 10M more than Hotel Transylvania 3) so it doesn't need to do crazy numbers to be profitable. I was a bit worried when the directors said that this is Sony Animation's biggest project yet but it's still no where near how much Disney/Pixar spends on their films.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
It looks like Mortal Enigines and Spider-Verse are sharing IMAX screens this weekend. The main theater near me still hasn't posted showtimes for tomorrow which is a first. Usually everything's ready by Wednesday morning.

ED: Wait, it looks like there's a Aquaman event screening tomorrow with Patrick Wilson as guest so I guess that theater is just shut down for the day.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.