• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
SonicChuKick.gif

This is ResetEra's weekend box office thread. While the OP focuses on the popular weekend tallies, we typically discuss box office throughout the week as well when notable films are playing. New threads are posted each Sunday morning, between 8-10am PST.

'Sonic The Hedgehog' Rings Up Record Domestic Videogame Pic Debut Of $57M & 4-Day $68M; Global Launch At $100M

After a string of pricey duds with Gemini Man, Terminator: Dark Fate, and Rhythm Section, Paramount gets back on track with its net $87M production of Sonic the Hedgehog. This film's 4-day projections have just boomed over the weekend, from $55M+ on midday Friday, to $64M+ yesterday morning to around $68M per Paramount this AM (that's also where the industry average is; some even believe the blue critter can run up to $70M+). After a strong $20.6M Saturday, a 2% dip from Friday's $21M, for a 3-day of $57M, Sonic the Hedgehog has feasibly beat the 3-day start of Legendary/Warner Bros.' Pokemon: Detective Pikachu ($54.3M) to become the best opening for a videogame feature adaptation of all-time. On a 4-day basis, Sonic is also faster than Detective Pikachu which earned $58M over a non-holiday period last May.

All in, worldwide for Sonic the Hedgehog is $100M which is fantastic, but not a record debut for a videogame pic; Pikachu's technical global start (with domestic) being $157.3M, while Legendary/Universal's Warcraft was around $119.1M, not counting its pre-box office run in China.

Talk about a turnaround year for Paramount, and Sonic is just the beginning with A Quiet Place II (March 20), The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge on the Run (May 22), Top Gun Maverick (June 26) yet to come.

Video game fare has always been ambitious to adapt to the big screen, the exhibit A example of risk and failure being Cinergi's 1993 Super Mario Brothers (distributed via Disney at the time!) which cost a then-exorbitant $48M and only grossed a near $21M domestic.

DOMESTIC WEEKEND BOX OFFICE

Weekend Box Office Archive and Appendix

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Saw Sonic yesterday and it was really heartwarming and fun. So happy to see it doing so well!

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Sonic original date was Veteran's Day weekend, somehow, the outrage might have saved it from being a bomba.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Cursed videos embedded in the banners. I love it.
Dat gif to kick things off too.

And LOVE how the Pikachu poster is just slightly visible under Sonic.

less

Oct 25, 2017
Parasite <3

Those Oscar wins working their magic. Frozen II still chugging along to a very respectable number. And impressive hold by Knives Out.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Happy for Sonic, the movie was enjoyable !
$160-170m dom should be doable

Jumanji on its way to 320m+ and Bad Boys to 200m+

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, bring on that Sonic sequel. I'm bummed out about Birds of Prey, though. I really enjoyed that movie a lot and it deserves. In hindsight, though, making it an R-Rated movie was probably a mistake.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Bringing up something from last thread, but Bad Boys For Life is $22.86m away from having a domestic total as big as the first two films COMBINED.

Stretch goals, baby.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Also, I was wrong about Bad Boys this whole trip. I didnt think it would open near as big as it did. Then didnt think it would leg out as well as it has.

It is nice to be so wrong about that film, because it deserves all the success it is having.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
You dun good Sanic. You dun good. I never thought you'd actually be an enjoyable movie.

I'll be here eating my hat and a crow, waiting for you to announce a sequel.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Oh, yes. Huge success. It is down about $190m worldwide compared to the last one. About $90m down domestic.
But Welcome to the Jungle was a monster hit that was unexpected. Lightning in a bottle. The fact that they came close again shows they are doing a very good job with these, and keeping the budgets fairly modest is good too.
Yep, final number for Jumanji should be $793-800m worldwide down from $964m of JUM2
About $84m down dom (for $320m final number)
About $37m down China
About $50m down Overseas-China

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure if it was just fan speculation, but didn't a designer of the DP designs get brought on board to fix the adaptation of Sonic's look?

It's ironic that DP's designs were so well received, as well as the trailers, but didn't do more success, while Sonic's initial reception was so poor but they were able to bring people back on board to make it more successful than DP. DP even ultimately reviewed better.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if it was just fan speculation, but didn't a designer of the DP designs get brought on board to fix the adaptation of Sonic's look?

It's ironic that DP's designs were so well received, as well as the trailers, but didn't do more success, while Sonic's initial reception was so poor but they were able to bring people back on board to make it more successful than DP.

Tyson Hesse redesigned movie Sonic.

He was originally a Sonic fan artist that eventually began doing official work for the comics and other media. He's the lead animator for the animated scenes in Sonic Mania and other Sonic shorts.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
Jumanji was in less theaters and made more money than the prior weekend, can't remember the last time I saw that for a major release

Glad the Birds of Prey drop wasn't bad. Absolutely phenomenal film

Speaking of phenomenal films, happy to see Knives Out and Frozen 2 still making bucks despite both being available on VOD currently and coming to DVD/BluRay next week

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
Sucks for Sonic that it likely won't get a China release because of the coronavirus.

Would have probably made bank there.

Horo

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Now lets just see if we're dealing with classic or modern sonic legs here.

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois
Gotta Go Make Money Fast

BoP dropping 48% is some oof

The Photograph will turnout fine with the Valentine's Day wkd with it's $16m budget

Downhill really went downhill in the BO

Parasite with dat Oscars BP jump

Status
Not open for further replies.