• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they will get the Warcraft sequel on track again

Prompto

Oct 25, 2017
What will be bigger in 2022: The live action Minecraft movie or the Mario movie made by Illumination?

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't help that Detective Pikachu had a bunch of competition in Aladdin and freaking Endgame.

Sonic has.... Birds of Prey.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't help that Detective Pikachu had a bunch of competition in Aladdin and freaking Endgame.

Sonic has.... Birds of Prey.
3e580b8f-51a5-4440-b922-8a2fa203840e.jpg

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If more people had wanted to see Pikachu they would have. Inside Out coming in on second weekend of Jurassic World didnt hurt it. People wanted to see it, so they paid to.
True, but I think you underestimate the role competition plays in movies, especially their legs. If you only go to the movies once a month or and you're taking your kids with you, then you're likely to pick two big Disney movies over Detective Pikachu. In Sonic's case, if a family wants to go see a kid appropriate movie, right now their options are Sonic and that's pretty much it for a few weeks.

Other than the obvious VFX changes to Sonic, I think delaying Sonic from November (aka Frozen 2 month) to February was the best decision they could have made in terms of potential legs for this movie.

EDIT: Also more competition means more fighting for number of screens. I remember Endgame having 20 showtimes at my local theater, while Pikachu had 6 on opening weekend, which is absurd.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Onward is going to affect Sonic's Legs the same way SLOP 2 affected Pikas.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Onward had a similar gross to SLOP 2 as well unless the reviews are very good.

Deleted member 4260

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I saw the trailer for Onward before Sonic and it looks lame. Like, Pixar trailers are usually bad... but it really looks like a mediocre Dreamworks movie.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
True, but I think you underestimate the role competition plays in movies, especially their legs. If you only go to the movies once a month or and you're taking your kids with you, then you're likely to pick two big Disney movies over Detective Pikachu. In Sonic's case, if a family wants to go see a kid appropriate movie, right now their options are Sonic and that's pretty much it for a few weeks.

Other than the obvious VFX changes to Sonic, I think delaying Sonic from November (aka Frozen 2 month) to February was the best decision they could have made in terms of potential legs for this movie.

EDIT: Also more competition means more fighting for number of screens. I remember Endgame having 20 showtimes at my local theater, while Pikachu had 6 on opening weekend, which is absurd.
I understand how legs and competition work. That is also why I was pointing out how being in the vicinity of a giant film is not always death to a film's success or legs. It can affect it, but unless they are opening on the same weekend then it isn't as big of a factor. That is why I point out the Inside Out comparison. That was coming in one week after Jurassic World set a then record OW and when it also set a record second weekend.

By week 4 Minions was opening to take the family audience, but Inside Out still hung on with great drops because people wanted to keep seeing it. By the time Aladdin opened, Pikachu was playing on just a hair more screens than Endgame was and just a hair under what John Wick 3 was, so it wasn't exactly fighting for screens.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Onward is going to affect Sonic's Legs the same way SLOP 2 affected Pikas.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Onward had a similar gross to SLOP 2 as well unless the reviews are very good.
Pikachu was at 95% of its final gross during SLOP2's OW. That had minimal bearing on its final tally.

EDIT: Onward is going to open at weekend 4 for Sonic. At end of weekend 4, Pikachu was at 90% of its final tally.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I won't stand for all this dreamworks slander. They make good stuff from time to time. Dragons 3 was one of the best animated movies last year and I've been liking their animated shows output. She-Ra is great and I enjoyed what little I've seen of Kipo so far.

Can we swap the comparison to Illumination. Though I guess there's no such thing as a mediocre Illumination movie because their best output only ever reaches mediocre. (Hah!)

Pikachu was at 95% of its final gross during SLOP2's OW. That had minimal bearing on its final tally.

EDIT: Onward is going to open at weekend 4 for Sonic. At end of weekend 4, Pikachu was at 90% of its final tally.

You know for some reason I thought Slop 2 came out 2 weeks after Pika did, turns out it was 5 weeks later. Never mind on that comparison then.

I do wonder if the $430 million is right call for Onward though ($430 being the worldwide total for SLOP 2), lower than that would be around Cars 3 level. Does come down to reviews I believe. I think most people are just waiting for Soul.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Big the Cat: The Movie
A Sonic Cinematic Uninverse Joint

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sonic 2 brings in Tails, Amy Rose and Metal Sonic.

Sonic 3 brings in Knuckles and the Death Egg.

Then you either go to Shadow or you go to Chaos. Pick your options.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Adapting Detective Pikachu instead of a mainline Pokemon game was a risk that didn't pay off. I think Detective Pikachu was just too weird for general audiences and not what they expected or wanted from the Pokemon movie.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Adapting Detective Pikachu instead of a mainline Pokemon game was a risk that didn't pay off. I think Detective Pikachu was just too weird for general audiences and not what they expected or wanted from the Pokemon movie.

I think it was the right move, people were still unsure on the whole adapt video game to movie because... well, just look at history on that front. Detective Pika could have gauged interest and also let's the sidestep the whole "Having animals fight eachother" issue as well. It was successful enough and I imagine you may see something closer to the games in the future which can be more confident in the process when they mine that Nostalgia Core even harder than the mainline games currently do.

Sonics success will probably see more video games get adapted into movies as well. Gonna be a slow process but there will be that one breakthrough and the floodgates will open from there. Then people can debate if that's a good thing or not after the fact.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Shadow The Hedgehog directed by Zack Snyder.

No one else is edgy enough to direct it.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all are forgetting the key is to appeal to kids. Ain't no kid gonna get excited for a MGS movie. Solid Snake is for boomers.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
EQ1Hk2KWoAA5Cby

EQ1Hk2KWAAAsQMo

Does anyone know what's up with this? It seems to be some kind of coordinated fake news/review-bomb style thing to boost BoP and take down Sonic, but I was wondering if anyone knew the backstory here.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
sonic 2 the namek err angel island saga

sonic as goku
tails as krillin
Amy as Gohan
James Marsden as bulna
eggman as freeza
knuckles as vegeta
egg robots as freeza soldiers
metal sonic as the ginyu force