Status
Not open for further replies.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Is this a serious post?
It was a bit tongue-in-cheek, especially the part you quoted, but I was serious about hearing someone describing the plot starting to bring back bad memories about aspects I really didn't like.

I was almost at a point of forgiving the bad/bland stuff I didn't remember for the good visuals I did, but it made me remember that the first movie left a sour taste in my mouth for a while.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I dont care enough about avatars to bet on them.
2md5lph.gif

Heroicpiglet

Avenger
Dec 22, 2017
The question I'm asking though is: why do they find them forgettable? Especially when they're not so much different from the action adventure films that do so well there. I mean this is all incredibly subjective of course, but I find it fascinating because there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer.

Avengers eventually grew into what it is today.. Avengers isn't that old. So why didn't SW?
Star wars draws many concept from East Asia culture, and Chinese audience has seen these to dead growing up. They dont need more.
And the whole Canto Blight storyline is a stink for China's taste which hurts the franchise more.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Star wars draws many concept from East Asia culture, and Chinese audience has seen these to dead growing up. They dont need more.
And the whole Canto Blight storyline is a stink for China's taste which hurts the franchise more.
Lol like SW isn't unique enough for them to differentiate from. That, in theory, should make the movies more interesting.. not less.

That said.. lol there is no evidence for the second part of your post. The film opened at 28M which is already bad.

Heroicpiglet

Avenger
Dec 22, 2017
Lol like SW isn't unique enough for them to differentiate from. That, in theory, should make the movies more interesting.. not less.

That said.. lol there is no evidence for the second part of your post. The film opened at 28M which is already bad.
Maybe someone who lives in China can explain it better than me. I live in a country with some similarities in taste with China and that is the general consensus of Star Wars in my knowledge. Of course this is all anecdotal.

I keep seeing this gif in both Resetera and BOT lol

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Maybe someone who lives in China can explain it better than me. I live in a country with some similarities in taste with China and that is the general consensus of Star Wars in my knowledge. Of course this is all anecdotal.
I would love to hear from people who live in China TBH, but I kinda have a feeling it's just gunna be a shrug, which is.. fair enough lol.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I will finally see Endgame at 2pm tomorrow. Prep for my review

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking 1.5

Though if it has competition I could see it's legs being WAY worse and it being forgotten in 2 weeks. Remember avatar didn't open huge and if there's another big blockbuster soon after or right with it I could see it hemorrhaging money since it's taken about 5x as long to make as other movies that have made a billion

At least as of right now, there's really nothing in Avatar 2's vicinity that could hurt its legs. Disney has a hold on the following Wednesday (Dec. 23rd), but I could see them moving whatever they had planned there because Avatar is now their thing and they don't want to hurt it.

Oct 25, 2017
Booked my 3rd viewing for tomorrow at 6pm. Probably the last time I'll see it in theaters unless I just suddenly feel the urge to watch it again before it leaves theaters. But I HAVE to watch this again with another full crowd.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
What's the predicted drop for 2nd weekend right now?

boxofficemojo is saying around 55%

"Records continue to fall as Disney's Avengers: Endgame makes ready for its sophomore frame. After having already topped $452 million domestically (#17 all-time) and $1.664 billion worldwide (#6 all-time), the film enters its second weekend looking to top Star Wars: The Force Awakens's $149.2 million second weekend and add that record to its list of achievements. Beyond that, the film will top $600 million domestically this weekend and has a shot at outperforming 2012's The Avengers, which brought in $623.4 million after 154 days in release — Endgame is looking to do push past that number in just ten.

As already mentioned, Star Wars: The Force Awakens currently holds the record for the largest second weekend of all-time with $149.2 million. While Avengers: Endgame destroyed Force Awakens's opening weekend by more than $100 million, Force Awakens dipped just -40% in its sophomore frame. Don't look for Endgame to follow suit, but given the sheer size of Endgame's debut, the second weekend record is certainly in jeopardy. Second on the list of largest second weekends is Avengers: Infinity War with $114.7 million, which dropped -55.5% in its second weekend and is clearly a much better comp for Endgame."​

"This weekend's forecast is directly below. This post will be updated on Friday morning with Thursday night preview results followed by Friday estimates on Saturday morning, and a complete weekend recap on Sunday morning."​
  • Avengers: Endgame (4,662 theaters) - $153.6 M
  • Long Shot (3,230 theaters) - $12.0 M
  • Uglydolls (3,652 theaters) - $10.5 M
  • The Intruder (2,222 theaters) - $10.0 M
  • Captain Marvel (2,243 theaters) - $5.5 M
  • Breakthrough (2,884 theaters) - $4.4 M
  • The Curse of La Llorona (2,540 theaters) - $3.2 M
  • Shazam! (2,521 theaters) - $2.4 M
  • Dumbo (1,668 theaters) - $1.8 M
  • Little (1,353 theaters) - $1.6 M

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">BREAKING!!! <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/AVENGERS?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#AVENGERS</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/ENDGAME?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#ENDGAME</a> crossed $1.2 BILLION OVERSEAS and has now grossed $1.664 BILLION WORLDWIDE!! It's set to cross $2 BILLION WORLDWIDE this weekend &amp; should pass AVATAR ($2.78 billion) as the highest grossing movie of all time in a couple more weeks! <a href="https://t.co/g8hHCd4Xkc">pic.twitter.com/g8hHCd4Xkc</a></p>&mdash; Scott Mantz (@MovieMantz) <a href="https://twitter.com/MovieMantz/status/1124017928049917953?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">May 2, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.