Status
Not open for further replies.

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
Not to mention running a marketing campaign specifically to attack and overthrow one man and his film is kinda a dick move? Especially one they're about to have a long, fruitful relationship with?

I'm sure they probably care internally but throwing up big posters that say "BURN THE BLUE PEOPLE" only to have Big Jimbo walk into work one day and look at Bob Iger like

Winona-Ryder.png

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did I tell you about my stance on movies that were filmed back-to-back? I consider them to be one film. So Lord of the Rings occupies a single entry on my top ten movies list. Like that. Anyway, collectively Infinity War and Endgame have cracked $4 billion by this point, so no need to worry folks, the all-time box office champ is already decided! It's Infinity War Endgame!
That's certainly a good PR spin lol

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Interesting. I wonder how it'll look like from here on out relative to IW and TFA ZattMurdock
It will be below TFA this Tuesday and for the rest of the week, sure. It might even go below IW's Tuesday number, since the drop was way less subdued today because of the Canada holiday this Monday.

But one thing to notice: IW was only able to top TFA dailies after week 7 (it managed to top dailies in the beginning of the run in a similar fashion to Endgame on its first two weeks), ie, start of the June's Summer legs. It looks like a sign that my projection is correct: Endgame will indeed keep performing better than IW due to the very nature of Endgame as the 'end' of the Infinity Saga, with even better drops than IW ahead with the Summer late legs.

It has always been my theory since the start that Infinity War actually had a rougher path ahead than Endgame. When the heavy hitters and actual direct competition comes (Far From Home, The Lion King) the film will be long into its box office Summer late run to be affected. So far, it's shaping up pretty awesomely.

I've personally witnessed people watch Avatar literally just because it was the highest grossing movie. Not saying that it's a widespread thing, but the title probably does inspire some to see it that otherwise wouldn't, just to see what all the fuss was about.

Hell, I remember people going to see Ang Lee's Hulk specifically because it was the most expensive movie ever made at the time, or was that one of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies? I can't recall.
We get people HERE on Era every other day reporting their first Endgame screening, and we are a very hardcore geek / nerd forum. Endgame will top Avatar organically, and yes, people will come for the 'biggest film o all time" tag once it happens. Pretty natural, it happened with both Titanic and Avatar before. The assumption that everyone has already seen the film and aren't waiting for the Summer to actually see it for the first time is because we are living in a bubble. The "biggest film of all time" tag will indeed put butts on the seats. How much, who knows. We are truly in uncharted territory since Endgame started.

Oct 31, 2017
Y'all are nuts. Disney is not gonna spend any marketing money beating a record they already own. It makes no sense.

As a shareholder I want Disney to allocate all the marketing dollars from TROS, Lion King, Toy Story 4, and Frozen 2 to ensure Endgame beats Avatar for a meaningless statistic.

I agree. Though the argument will be that Iger and co don't own the record because they weren't responsible for the record. They purchased Avatar (with the rest of Fox) after the fact, so they can't claim it as an accomplishment of their management like they can with Endgame should it pass Avatar.

Avatar was goddamn front and center on the disney website with a Disney tattoo on Jake Sully Navi's forehead the day of the acquisition. Iger gushes over Avatar and probably sees SW/MCU franchise potential for it. They can't claim they were responsible for it but they can claim their movie was number 1. Heck they claimed Titanic on the PPT presentation and they don't own distribution rights in NA for that one.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Not to mention running a marketing campaign specifically to attack and overthrow one man and his film is kinda a dick move? Especially one they're about to have a long, fruitful relationship with?

I'm sure they probably care internally but throwing up big posters that say "BURN THE BLUE PEOPLE" only to have Big Jimbo walk into work one day and look at Bob Iger like

Winona-Ryder.png
Bingo. Not a smart move to focus a marketing campaign around dissing a very powerful (non exclusive) director that you work with. Disney gonna be all about keeping him happy.
If Endgame passes Avatar it passes it. They just aren't going to do a marketing blitz to do it. Because that is fucking stupid fanboy bullshit.

Oct 31, 2017
As an aside, how much of the Avatar IP does Disney actually own? Can they make the movies without Big Jimbo's consent, for instance?

I'll quote what I posted in another thread. It's mostly owned by FOX (now Disney), but Big Jimbo (lol) probably still has some rights, possibly veto rights. We know every time Avatar was licensed Fox was/is involved. We know the property is copyrighted to Fox (not co-owned with Lightstorm for example). However, we know that Disney pays royalties to both Fox and Cameron for Pandora in Animal Kingdom. Iger reiterated that will continue going forward (i.e. they will pay themselves and Cameron). Cameron and Lightstorm helped designed the land, so that could be why he is owed royalties, not because they have any rights to the IP.

It's unknown if Disney could make a movie (or TV show) without Big Jimbo's approval.

I think JKR owns more of Harry Potter and Wizardry World than Cameron owns of Avatar, for example. However, Cameron possibly owns more of Avatar than Lucas owns of Star Wars.

Can you provide a reliable source for saying Cameron owns the IP? If anything Lightstorm co owns the IP with Fox. Everything I see shows that 21CF owns or co owns the IP. All rights to the Avatar project were transferred Lightstorm to 20th Century Fox in 2005. Avatar project to me means the source material, not the specifics to the movie hence why Fox can license out anything they want from the IP.

https://www.scribd.com/document/124001146/Avatar-ruling

http://files.courthousenews.com/2015/02/12/Avatar Answering Brief.pdf

As a matter of fact one could argue for the evidence that Lightstorm and Cameron have any ownership in the IP because I haven't seen that. I mean I'm sure he has some ownership of it, but I only see circumstantial evidence such as the theme park agreement that Disney reached with Lightstorm/Cameron and Fox. However, that could easily be one of the requirements that Cameron had upon transferring the rights in 2005 so he could have control on the quality of the IP.

Fox owned and licensed everything related to Avatar, that's why you see © Fox when you buy an Avatar merch. Disney now owns Fox so they own the IP.

I'll be glad to be proven wrong if you can provide some evidence.

EDIT: Pandora was a negotiation with Cameron and Fox. Iger even mentioned they will still be paying Cameron for that, but also paying themselves. Pandora wouldn't have happened if Fox said no (I think Cameron also had veto rights). This part is akin to JKR/WB and Potterland.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616

Loose translation:

'We are now more than 18 million of people, making #AvengersEndgame the most viewed film of all time in Brazil. Have you secured your place in history? Buy your tickets now:"

Marvel Brazil's marketing clearly isn't playing shy of calling a spade a spade. Marketing for this will be fun once it tops Avatar.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ZattMurdock I really hope you have taken time away from Endgame viewing to also see the other great films that have been releasing like John Wick or Booksmart.

Wick for example, without question, has better shot action scenes than any film released this year and deserves to be seen on the big screen.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That was from Feiges ama:
"We did a special shoot of Luis recapping the entire 10-year history of the MCU for SDCC when we announced Michelle Pfeiffer playing Janet van Dyne. I'm sure it's around somewhere."

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck my AMC is already starting to John Wick from IMAX theaters in favor of that trash Aladdin. Seems like Thursday is the last day for it

Oct 25, 2017
The God that can't even hit #1 on the charts.

I KID! I KID!
He seriously has had a stupid impressive run as a producer.
Kathleen Kennedy's producer run is more impressive
Yeah but she is a woman who forced politics, Rian Johnson, and diversity into my movie series about a space wizard fighting a fascist empire. It does not count. /s

Status
Not open for further replies.