• Brightburn (2,607 theaters) - $15.0 M
  • Booksmart (2,505 theaters) - $13.0 M
  • A Dog's Journey (3,274 theaters) - $6.3 M
  • The Hustle (2,377 theaters) - $4.5 M
  • The Intruder (1,612 theaters) - $3.3 M
  • Long Shot (1,602 theaters) - $2.2 M
Source: https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4514&p=.htm

As for Endgame:

Disney's Avengers: Endgame will become only the second film ever to top $800 million domestically this weekend as it enters its fifth week in release. We're looking for the film to dip -42% this weekend for a $17.4 million three-day, most likely topping $800 million on Monday with a $22+ million four-day performance.​

I appreciate the updates, ZattMurdock. They make your crazy predictions worth it. ;-)
Thanks, it really means a lot.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God let the Terminator series just die.

Unless Cameron himself comes back to direct let it die.

Deleted member 8674

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
THREE-DAY WEEKEND FORECAST

• Aladdin - $60.0 M
  • John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum (3,862 theaters) - $23.9 M
  • Avengers: Endgame - $17.4 M
  • Pokemon Detective Pikachu (4,168 theaters) - $14.1 M
  • Brightburn (2,607 theaters) - $13.0 M
  • Booksmart (2,505 theaters) - $11.0 M
  • A Dog's Journey (3,274 theaters) - $4.6 M
  • The Hustle (2,377 theaters) - $3.6 M
  • The Intruder (1,612 theaters) - $2.6 M
  • Long Shot (1,602 theaters) - $1.7 M

FOUR-DAY WEEKEND FORECAST

• Aladdin - $75.3 M
  • John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum (3,862 theaters) - $30.6 M
  • Avengers: Endgame - $22.2 M
  • Pokemon Detective Pikachu (4,168 theaters) - $17.8 M
  • Brightburn (2,607 theaters) - $15.0 M
  • Booksmart (2,505 theaters) - $13.0 M
  • A Dog's Journey (3,274 theaters) - $6.3 M
  • The Hustle (2,377 theaters) - $4.5 M
  • The Intruder (1,612 theaters) - $3.3 M
  • Long Shot (1,602 theaters) - $2.2 M
Source: https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4514&p=.htm

As for Endgame:

Thanks, it really means a lot.

Thank you ZattMurdock. Keep updating Endgame numbers please.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Endgame stabilized a bit with Infinity War this past week, gonna be curious to see if it stays stable with losing some of the higher theater count advantage. This past week it had a 218 theater advantage over IW. But starting Friday it will only have 42 more screens than IW on the same weekend.
The fact that Aladdin probably won't even get near Solo numbers will help it probably stay stable.

Also, John Wick 3 is even better on the second viewing. SOOOOOO fucking good.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
Aladdin looks like a disaster. Reminder that Beauty and the Beast opened to $174m and made more than $500m in the US alone.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
For sure. I don't think you should change how you post. You're on topic, not violating ToS, friendly. Seems all good to me.
Thank you ZattMurdock. Keep updating Endgame numbers please.
Agreed. Don't change Zatt.
Once again fam, thank you all for your kind words. I do it because other than loving Endgame, I truly love following box office and I think this one is a special one. Endgame is behaving like the opposite of Avatar and it's all about the Sprint and how well it can marathon its way up to Avatar. So far, it's doing everything right to achieve just that.

Great, now apparently I'm the asshole for posting the tiniest little criticism.
You are not an asshole, and I appreciate the criticism and I do take it in consideration. But just so you understand: it's a lot easier for me to do this daily because then I don't forget of keeping doing it. It takes me literally like 2 min for those.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Zatt, I think most of us appreciate having enthusiasm. It's great to be excited and enjoy things. I do too! But....this thread isn't Box Office Theory. I don't think anyone in this thread is interested in BOT style doubling down on over the top predictions and fanboying of particular films runs with hyperbolic statements like Endgame is going to stay in theaters through Christmas and stuff, I mean even right after the giant OW it was obvious that was BOT style hyperbolic craziness.

We do have those goofy avatar bet threads for that sort of sillines but I do not think anyone here wants this thread to be more like Box Office Theory.

This ain't the thread for that sort of hyperbole.
giphy.gif

Shit from other forums should stay in other forums, just like twitter or other social media drama should stay there. Let this be its own thing. Please, for the love of all that is holy.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Shit from other forums should stay in other forums, just like twitter or other social media drama should stay there. Let this be its own thing. Please, for the love of all that is holy.

Nothing that I post here is "shit from the other forums". I post numbers, data, and my projections. I use BOT not differently than Kswiston would. That's it.

If anything, I barely talk about anything other than box office stuff here on this thread.

Ether30

Alt account
Banned
May 23, 2019
Pretty hilarious how quiet ResetEra has been about John Wick 3 outgrossing Pokemeon opening weekend in the states lol then blaming Avengers for the interest not being as high as it could be.

John Wick 3 DOUBLED the opening weekend of 2, Avengers literally did nothing to that movies opening weekend haha.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
I do wonder if it'll ring true that it's another Dumbo
If it does similar numbers it will be a worse disaster. Higher budget, prime real estate release date too.

Disney is now 4/4 for shit released on Memorial day in last 4 years. Although Pirates 5 is the outlier with grossing near $800m worldwide, but still a big step down from part 4.

Pretty hilarious how quiet ResetEra has been about John Wick 3 outgrossing Pokemeon opening weekend in the states lol then blaming Avengers for the interest not being as high as it could be.

John Wick 3 DOUBLED the opening weekend of 2, Avengers literally did nothing to that movies opening weekend haha.
You could jokingly argue that Wick is more powerful than Deadpool. Wick opened to less than half what Deadpool 2 did on same weekend but the Avengers movies both fell the same amount.

Interestingly enough, this is now two summers in a row where a movie from a John Wick 1 director has opened on the fourth weekend of an Avengers movie and Avengers has near the same gross.

Ether30

Alt account
Banned
May 23, 2019
It definitely won't be another Jungle Book, I think the ceiling for this movie is around Cinderella if all goes well (reviews aren't doing so hot).

200 something domestic seems about right.

I think audience will like this more then that and Beauty and the Beast.

Pretty wild how high those two are on RT. Checks didn't clear in time for this one

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Crazy how I used to question paying for Dolby, IMAX and or 3D as it was always the most expensive movie theater experience. Now I strictly choose Dolby and IMAX as a second option if Dolby isn't available. Digital is a thing of the past. I've been spoiled!

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Crazy how I used to question paying for Dolby, IMAX and or 3D as it was always the most expensive movie theater experience. Now I strictly choose Dolby and IMAX as a second option if Dolby isn't available. Digital is a thing of the past. I've been spoiled!
IMAX over Dolby always. And I love Dolby. IMAX is just in another level, especially among blockbusters. Even more so with blockbusters that use IMAX cameras.

Oct 31, 2017
200 something domestic seems about right.

I think audience will like this more then that and Beauty and the Beast.

Pretty wild how high those two are on RT. Checks didn't clear in time for this one

After watching Aladdin last night and having a giant smile on my face the entire time, it really makes me wonder if cheques r for real...n if disney spent it all on endgame already

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Lurking Box Office threads is the best.

How are movies' opening weekends estimated?
It's a mix of social media interest, advance tickets sales and pure guesstimate, imo. There is also a shitload of practice involved, and regardless how much time you dedicate to it, you will always get something wrong and keep learning as the time goes by.

The cold hard truth is that regardless how much you predict this stuff, when it is something as big as Endgame, Avatar, Titanic, TFA and etc it is incredibly hard to predict. It gets easier when the box office run goes further, but it is always hard. Stuff like John Wick 3 and Detective Pokemon is easier to predict: normal weekend and regular size blockbuster. I got bullseye with JW3 just over $55m, but I couldn't possibly predict stuff like Endgame or TFA opening weekends.

I think Aladdin will flop, and I'll throw my hat to the prediction game right now: $65m 4-days dom.

Last edited:

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Dolby has true blacks, HDR, dual 4K projection, and object-based atmos surround. There is no comparison between Dolby and IMAX Xenon.
I'm not sure if that's true to my personal experience here in Brazil. Not entirely up to date with how movie theaters are in the USA, but here Dolby is basically 2nd best. We don't have true IMAX here either.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Seems like Pikachu has done alright with drops. What are we thinking of its performance so far?
Biggest entertainment brand!

All kidding aside, it is doing decently. Could be better, could be worse. But it is not anywhere near the levels many people on the site hyped it up to.

It is also going to fuck so many of us in the box office wager because so many of us expected better after the trailer views.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
Seems like Pikachu has done alright with drops. What are we thinking of its performance so far?

Over $170mil away from $500mil, with Aladdin out tonight, Godzilla next week, Dark Phoenix and Secret Life of Pets 2 the week after, and Toy Story later that month? I don't think it's making it, and if it does it's barely and out of steam very very very soon after. Certainly nowhere near the billion a surprising amount of people here sincerely bet on

Status
Not open for further replies.