Status
Not open for further replies.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Thought for sure Avengers wouldn't beat Avatar.

Then that opening weekend happened and I thought for sure it would.

And now here we are. James Cameron remains the king.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Being on a video game message board gives most of us a skewed idea of what may be popular. We saw it with Detective Pikachu and we see it again with Godzilla. Godzilla is an old niche property that very few people care about anymore. I would put Godzilla in a slightly more interesting category than those Pacific Rim movies. Neither moves the meter anymore

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
tenor.gif

Man. They should have brought Gareth Edwards back. 2014 'zilla is best 'zilla (this message brought to you by Sephzilla ).
Gareth Edwards was attached for a very long time, but he quit the project.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
I'm right now still going through my punishment of betting Endgame would beat TFA domestically. So if I'm getting a new avatar i want it to reflect both my loses, not just the Avatar WW bet.

Or if it pleases the court of opinion, Chaos Legion may choose considering what went down with Venom and Spider-Verse last year.

I'm basically asking for a worse punishment than what the Avatar only bet people are getting.

Oct 28, 2017
Gareth Edwards was attached for a very long time, but he quit the project.
I swear the Star Wars anthology movies are cursed. Josh Trank was set to make one but Fan4stic happened and killed his career, the experience working on Rogue One turned Gareth Edwards off from making Godzilla 2 and we all know how Solo went for Lord & Miller.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So, implying Cameron fanboys don't go in droves to see their god's latest movie?
lol are you even serious right now? What do you think you're replying to? I'm fairly certain Cpt-GargameL was talking about a certain someone's nonsensical (and ever-changing) box office predictions, fueled almost entirely by their love of the Marvel brand rather than any basis in reality. Like someone out here said, it's like watching FoxNews trying to spin a narrative into what they wish it was.

And the Cult of Cameron isn't as wide ranging as you think.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
lol are you even serious right now? What do you think you're replying to? I'm fairly certain Cpt-GargameL was talking about a certain someone's nonsensical (and ever-changing) box office predictions, fueled almost entirely by their love of the Marvel brand rather than any basis in reality. Like someone out here said, it's like watching FoxNews trying to spin a narrative into what they wish it was.

And the Cult of Cameron isn't as wide ranging as you think.

Even though Endgame is done, the amount of bashing against Zatt is kind of baffling. There are lots of people (including me) that will eventually eat crow for that, but he gets too much shit for his more hopeful approach to predictions.

And i don't know if that's fueled by marvel fanboyism, don't know him enough tbh.

Oct 27, 2017
A less than two-thirds drop for Aladdin? Wow, that's good (as was the movie).

Rocketman seemed to have no marketing here, except "here's someone playing a young Elton John". Didn't even mention Edgerton by name.

Meanwhile trailers and such for Ma were running like crazy for weeks.

I dunno about godzilla, I'll see it at some point, but the trailers made it look like they asked MBB to do "the thing you did in Stranger Things" a bunch of times. Bryan Cranston not crying in a Godzilla trailer is kind of missed though, there was nothing else like it.

Jul 18, 2018
Damn@Godzilla.
Why is it so poor at B.O.?
Did the negative reviews effect it? Or were the trailers just not good enough

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
One of them did but I'm referring to the production troubles leading to a bloated budget which resulted in a huge bomb.
Both of them did and they had nothing to do with the final product with Solo. The production troubles of Solo had less to do with Lord & Miller screwing up and more to do with Lucasfilm having no idea who they hired. How are you gonna fire Lord & Miller for doing exactly what they always do?

Oct 28, 2017
Both of them did and they had nothing to do with the final product with Solo. The production troubles of Solo had less to do with Lord & Miller screwing up and more to do with Lucasfilm having no idea who they hired. How are you gonna fire Lord & Miller for doing exactly what they always do?
I didn't know both Lord and Miller were producers on the movie, I was thinking of Lord who co-wrote the screenplay with someone else.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenlighting Kong vs Godzilla so soon may not have been the greatest idea. Even Universal waited to see how the Mummy did before pouring any more money into their monster CU.

I'm all for it. If this is the way we have to get KvG, so be it. It might be nice to have a cinematic universe with a beginning, middle, and end.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I swear the Star Wars anthology movies are cursed. Josh Trank was set to make one but Fan4stic happened and killed his career, the experience working on Rogue One turned Gareth Edwards off from making Godzilla 2 and we all know how Solo went for Lord & Miller.

It actually worked out well for Lord & Miller. Spiderverse was a critical darling and it landed them a very lucarative multi film deal with Sony. but thats the exception

Leunamus

May 18, 2019
RIP Big Fella. RIP Monsterverse.
Now if you excuse me I'll do like Dougherty/WB/Legendary and go cry in a corner.

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
Also, the failings of Solo led Disney to basically decide to try to repackage some of those old spin-off ideas into Disney+ series, from what I've heard, so everyone is probably gonna win out in the end.

Superman2x7

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Ahhh that bites for Godzilla, I really liked the movie and I want more sequels. Good thing Godzilla vs Kong has already finished shooting. Hopefully that movie does well enough to keep these titans on the big screen for the foreseeable future.

Oct 28, 2017
Thought about catching Private Ryan on the big screen but I've seen it so many times and it's such an intense, heavy experience not sure I'm in the frame of mind for it.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
I saw a 35mm print of SPR with the DTS track years ago. That was more than enough for me. I'll stick to the 4k disc and save some money.

Oct 25, 2017
KotM looked absolutely incredible but then looked less and less interesting with each and every commercial, trailer and tv spot.
and thats as somewhat of a Godzilla and Kaiju fan

Status
Not open for further replies.