Status
Not open for further replies.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Assorted international numbers via Screendaily:
Men In Black: International. The fourth entry in the canon is trailing 2012's Men In Black 3 by 19% at current exchange rates for the same group of markets.
Asia generated $45.5m as a region, on par with Men In Black 3, as China delivered a $26.3m number on launch, South Korea (distributed by Lotte) $4.9m, Japan $3.5m in second place, India $1.9m in second, Malaysia $1.6m in first, and Taiwan also $1.6m in first.

Latin America produced $8.3m, led by Mexico on a chart-topping $3.9m, and Brazil on $1.8m for number one. In a trio of European launches, Russia delivered $5.1m, the UK $3.4m, and France $2.5m, while Australia produced $2.6m for first place. Men In Black: International opens this week in Belgium and Netherlands, followed by Italy on July 25.
From Deadline's international update:
Industry finance sources tell us a final worldwide box office of about $300M will trigger ancillaries for a break-even result. That number could be on the cards, but will be close.
Sony's exposure on what it says is a $110M budgeted pic is 50%. Global P&A was an estimated $120M with luxury promo partners bringing in $75M.
And remember that Deadline are pretty adamant about it being a sub $100M pic. So it's probably not in the running for even being a bomb if all that checks out.
Aladdin brought in $47.5m in its fourth weekend from 55 territories to reach $461.4m, and $724.8m worldwide. Another robust session ensured the fantasy adventure starring Will Smith and Mena Massoud stayed top in 20 markets, with China the lead on a $51.7m haul, then the UK on $38.3m following a $3.42m weekend, South Korea on $38.1m, Japan on $32.6m, Mexico on $29.6m, Spain on $20m, and Australia on $18.7m.

Aladdin dropped in Europe by 40%, and recorded a 32% decline in Latin America, and a 31% drop in the Asia-Pacific region.
Godzilla II: King Of The Monsters used a $14.1m session in 79 markets to raise the international running total to $245.8m, and worldwide to $339.5m. China was the top performer in the tentpole's third session, delivering $5.2m in third place for $123.2m. Japan produced $2.1m for third to reach $20m after three weekends. After three weekends the monster mash-up stands at $9.3m in Mexico where it ranks fourth, $8.1m in the UK to rank fifth, and $4.8m in France. The action spectacle opens this week in Spain.
Dark Phoenix grossed $24.2m internationally from 55 territories to reach $152.5m and $204.3m globally. The X-Men spin-off opened top in Indonesia on $3.5m (around 15% ahead of the X-Men: Apocalypse launch). China remains the top territory on $55.4m, while Mexico has generated $8.3m, France $7.7m, the UK $7.5m, and South Korea $6.3m.
Rocketman brought in a $8.5m weekend as the tally climbed to an early $67m and the UK delivered $1.9m in the fourth session to reach $24.3m. Australia generated $1.5m for a solid $9.9m after three, and France $748,000 for $4.4m after two. Japan is the final market to launch on August 23.

I'm starting to think that might be because he's actually playing himself in these kinds of films and not actually that great of a character performer apart from being a goofball which is why he leans on the roles so much. Haven't seen much of El Royale though.
Hemsworth's difficulty finding box office success outside of the MCU has nothing to do with his range as an actor. He's been strong in a range of different roles, not just as Thor.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
If you make a bad movie or barely passable kind of okay movie, people no longer show up just because there are CGI effects. Venom was a recent exception to this (especially in China), but otherwise these movies have been massive bombs. Script quality needs to be focused on more.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
New Mutants has to be dead on arrival. I think most casual moviegoers even forgot it was supposed to come out.

But I'm really shocked at Shaft. The way black audiences have been turning out to support black movies, I thought this had a chance to open at #2. But there didn't seem to be much of a marketing campaign.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
New Mutants has to be dead on arrival. I think most casual moviegoers even forgot it was supposed to come out.

But I'm really shocked at Shaft. The way black audiences have been turning out to support black movies, I thought this had a chance to open at #2. But there didn't seem to be much of a marketing campaign.
It's on Netflix everywhere else maybe studios didn't have faith in the movie

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What was the budget of Dark Phoenix before the reshoots? 150M or so? Because the money doesn't show on screen at all. Based on the trailers I would have guessed that this was one of the cheapest entries.

The Hobo

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why they're not pushing New Mutants out the door just to get it over with. Are they trying to salvage it or something?

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That Dark Phoenix drop is brutal. It's going to drop out of the theaters quick.

Good to see Wick is still going strong.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
What's worse, this summer or 2017

2017:
King Arthur
Valerian
Baywatch
Pirates 5
The Mummy
Transformers 5
Monster Trucks
Ghost in the Shell
Alien Covenant
Cars 3
Emoji Movie
Rough Night
Snatched
The Book of Henry

Might be the WOAT

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Cinema is dead except if you're Disney. Disney gonna create their own theater chain and make their movies exclusive.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What's worse, this summer or 2017

2017:
King Arthur
Valerian
Baywatch
Pirates 5
The Mummy
Transformers 5
Monster Trucks
Ghost in the Shell
Alien Covenant
Cars 3
Emoji Movie
Rough Night
Snatched
The Book of Henry

Might be the WOAT

Damn, I don't like a single movie out of this

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
tenor.gif

Go a fucking head Aladdin. It's really reaching for that 1B. It probably won't hit it, but if you told me it would get this close prior to release I wouldn't have seen it coming.

Never count out Disney (unless you're talking about Dumbo).

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Sony: At least MiB did better outside the US?

Also, James Cameron just made Dark Phoenix's BO run 10x worse after Alita pushed it back.
Can you blame him or Fox? Dark Phoenix was destined to fail the moment Apocalypse's reviews came in. At least Alita was hypothetically the start of a new franchise, so why not give it the best opening possible?

Neither movie was any good, but I absolutely understand why they made the choices that they did.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I don't like a single movie out of this
I should balance it out with the good/successful/accepted movies of that year

Guardians 2
Spider-Man Homecoming
Wonder Woman
The Big Sick
Baby Driver
War for the Planet of the Apes (A bomb but critically liked)
Dunkirk
Atomic Blonde
Annabelle Creation
Logan Lucky

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
At least Godzilla vs Kong has already been shot so we're guaranteed to get that.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
The Dead Don't Die only opened in 613 theaters? Wow. Feels like I've seen it advertised quite a bit in the past week or two and I thought it'd have a bigger theater count than that.

It had by far the widest release of any jarmusch film, at 613 theaters. Only two other films he's done opened in over 100 theaters - broken flowers with 433 and ghost dog with 109.

Edit: whoops, not opening theaters but highest theater count. It's still heads and tails above both though.

Status
Not open for further replies.