• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
This is ResetEra's weekend box office thread. While the OP focuses on the popular weekend tallies, we typically discuss box office throughout the week as well when notable films are playing. New threads are are posted each Sunday morning, between 8-10am PST.

lWaQcHW.png

R5Sgaqd.png

tPMp6mX.png

jXnjCuT.png

iCG2DOA.png

'Incredibles 2' Even Stronger As Pixar Pic Soars To Amazing $181M

Disney/Pixar's Incredibles 2 is on its way to an estimated $181M, slightly higher from where we saw it yesterday. Disney is calling the weekend at $180M and aside from beating a slew of superhero movies as the 8th best opening of all-time, it's the best debut for a PG movie ever. Incredibles 2 saw a $58.9M Saturday, the 10th biggest, that was -18% from Friday's $71.6M (which included $18.5M previews). Technically Saturday repped the highest day for the superhero sequel, especially when one backs out those previews, Friday technically being $53.1M. Saturday's take easily reps the best for an animated title, surpassing Shrek the Third's $47M. Disney schedules their Pixar pics around the Father's Day holiday, so we'll continue to see strong traffic for Incredibles 2 with many estimating at least a $50M Sunday.

Imax alone took in $14.1M from Incredibles 2, the second biggest June opening of all-time for the large format exhibitor.

Warner Bros. takes spots 2 and 3 respectively with its holdover Ocean's 8 which dipped 53% with $19.6M, and a 10-day total of $79.1M while its New Line wide release Tag tapped $14.6M, an OK take in regards to its $28M production cost.

A24's Hereditary did not have the average horror pic slide in its second weekend of -60% to -70%, rather a fantastic -48% hold or $7M for a 10-day of $27.1M. While the movie's opening was a record for A24 at $13.6M, but OK for a horror title, rival indie bosses are impressed as the NY-based distributor pulled off that gross without spending a ton on TV, some of it being relegated to specific local markets.

<Click on the Article Headline to read more>

DOMESTIC WEEKEND BOX OFFICE

*Click the chart to view the full source

WORLDWIDE WEEKEND BOX OFFICE

Incredibles 2 - $232M (only 25 international markets this weekend)
Avengers: Infinity War - $2.020B
Deadpool 2 - $690M
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom - $370M
Solo - $340M
Ocean's 8 - $116M

More worldwide numbers will be posted soon

Weekend Box Office Archive and Appendix

Thread Archive

Web links to box office resources

Explanation of Box Office Terms, Abbreviations, and Concepts[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
That's insane, never expected Incredibles to be that huge.

E: Solo falling behind Deadpool next week?

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I may see the Incredibles 2 tonight as I've heard nothing but gushing praise from anyone whose seen it already on here and elsewhere.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Going back to that yearly box office predictions, I was surprised how many didn't put Incredibles II down.

2nd Safest bet of the year.

Now the wait for July so it comes out over here.

EN1GMA

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
8th biggest OW topping CW. Only IW and BP may finish ahead of I2 on the DOM side (superhero films).

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
The most shocking thing is Tag, people thought that was worth paying money for?

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
RBG just passed $10M, which is terrific for a documentary.

And yeah, that Wrinkle number is almost too good to be true, will be interesting to see what the actuals are.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hereditary is advertised a lot more as a straight up horror film than the psychological thriller that it is, for the most part. I wonder if that'll hurt it in the long run through word of mouth. The RT audience score has that Last Jedi thing going on despite the glowing critic reviews.

Oct 25, 2017
Must be nice being Disney. Solo is probably one of the biggest franchise mishandles of all time, and yet by the end of the year it'll be a footnote against the successes of BP, IW and I2.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I can't tell if that is good or bad for Superfly, I do appreciate a throw back to the 90s hoodmovies

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
LOL at Wrinkle in Time.

That has to be some of the most obvious fudging ever.

They'll use the double feature excuse, but yeah what a joke lol. Also, who cares about that hitting $100m, they should have used the fudge for BP to get to $700m!

Edit: Actually I guess they did use a little fudge for BP as it did increase this week ha

BorganXI

Oct 27, 2017
WA
?? At Winkle in Time's huge jump...

If they wanted it to hit 100M that bad, they will surely let BP get that 700M right?

180M ?? Fantastic, Super, Incredible....

I want to see Upgrade, Hotel Artemis, Tag, and Incredibles II this week.

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Good lord on Increadibles 2 and the rest which Disney is making bank on. Where is Jurassic World The Fallen Kingdom? Did it flop out of the gate?

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I can't tell if that is good or bad for Superfly, I do appreciate a throw back to the 90s hoodmovies
I'm surprised it has a 54% on Rotten Tomatoes (which is still Rotten, but the fact that more than half of critics gave it a Fresh is ???)
Maybe there's more enjoyment to be had out of it than I thought, but still not enough for me to see it until it hits home media

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It was difficult finding a good seat for Incredibles. Must've been like 20 showtimes for Saturday, and they only had front rows.

Insane numbers.

Hereditary is advertised a lot more as a straight up horror film than the psychological thriller that it is, for the most part. I wonder if that'll hurt it in the long run through word of mouth. The RT audience score has that Last Jedi thing going on despite the glowing critic reviews.
A 48% drop doesn't seem like that whatever flack it's getting from being "misrepresented" is doing a lot to it. It's not the next A Quiet Place, but that's a pretty strong result for a company the size of A24.

EN1GMA

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
From the previous thread.

I2 DOM total based on a 180M OW and previous Pixar films:

648M/Dory
679M/TS3
712M/Inside Out
588M/Monsters University
646M/Brave
516M/Cars 3
The Incredibles/671M

Safe to say it will have better legs than Cars 3 and probably Monsters University.

Deepthought_

Banned
May 15, 2018
I enjoyed Superfly, the main character looked cool as fk in every shot

Jurassic doing good? I predicted it would do a billion hopefully I was right Ill be seeing it soon.

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
Black Panther is so tantalizingly close to that magical box office number, it unnerves me.
Disney's going to fudge if they have to. Look at WiT's miraculous leap past $100 million.

So Ava now has a $100 million+ domestic grosser under her belt. Does that make her the first black female director to do so?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Surprised Deadpool 2 is still doing so well.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Huh I thought BP would be in he 160k range after that Friday, we'll see where the actuals come in.

Infinity War is getting awfully close to TFAs total

I know that IW is in its later stages and positively liked, so that new releases aren't going to affect it as much, and yeah it's father's day, but a 26% drop?

Yum.

Nov 19, 2017
It's unlikely in large part to JW2 releasing, but as EN1GMA pointed out, the same legs as Toy Story 3 would put Incredibles 2 right around the same finish as Infinity War. A huge advantage right now is the biggest animated film for the rest of the summer is Hotel Transylvania 3, which I doubt will do much better than $150M.

We'll know for sure next weekend, but it's no longer a lock that Infinity War will be the highest grossing film of the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.