Status
Not open for further replies.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WW84, Tenet, Dune, GvK, Bad Boys For Life, A Quiet Place II, Birds of Prey, The Kings Man, Bloodshot, Fast & Furious 9, Bond 25, Top Gun: Maverick, Jungle Cruise, Morbius, The Conjuring 3.

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Lol this really is a cycle
giphy.gif

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, lot of WB movies being mentioned so far
I know hardcore forum interest doesn't always translate into box office money, but I've been thinking for a while that WB will outgross Disney in BO revenue next year
In before this bites me in the ass next year but I agree too. Disney's 2020 on paper right now isn't as strong as WB's. Now by this time Sunday that could all change but WB's movies have a higher potential.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed Zatt's optimistic posts in the last couple of months and I would rather read their stuff than the weekly reminder from the same 3 negative Nancies that there is "no way Endgame will beat Avatar". At least Zatt never made it personal or mocked others for their diverse views (from what I have read). Thanks for believing and keeping the dream alive. ZattMurdock

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
In before this bites me in the ass next year but I agree too. Disney's 2020 on paper right now isn't as strong as WB's. Now by this time Sunday that could all change but WB's movies have a higher potential.
Either way people will still be calling them a "monopoly"
And if I had to pick my most anticipated movie, I guess it'd have to be...Birds of Prey
Helps that it's coming out in February

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let's not forget this:

Actuals:

Something something living in a glass house and throwing stones

My prediction being "on point" was in reference to the estimates which is indeed what I estimated then the actuals came out and shocked everyone which is the reason why we had that "fudging" discussion for a bit. Me estimating, along with what a lot of us do here in this very thread, is just what we do. Now, I NEVER said I've been correct all of the time, I've actually in fact have said that I have been wrong in the past but I can count that with one hand.

I've been doing these BO predictions for 1 year and thus far have seem to be very good with my estimates unlike someone who claims to have 20 years of BO experience who makes outlandish claims backed by opinions.

Try harder.

Heroicpiglet

Avenger
Dec 22, 2017
Im sometimes tempted to dig up old posts to rub into people's face. Fortunately I'm too lazy for that so I ignore these people instead. Life is much better.

and it will one day backfire into my face if I continue to dig up old posts lol

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
We understand that a leading tracking service is seeing $180Mstateside for The Lion King, while others believe the over/under is around Disney's 2017 live action take on Beauty and the Beast which opened to $174.7M, which would still be a record July start at 4,500 theaters. Even if The Lion King comes in low at $140M, it doesn't mean it's the end of moviegoing as we know it, nor is the marketplace in a funk, nor would such a start be considered a failure for what we hear is a $260M-plus budget enhanced CGI pic. The fandom for this Disney fault classic is immense, so much so, that it's expected to trample the sour 61% fresh Rotten Tomatoes score.
By Sunday, global on The Lion King is bound to reach $450M+. Simba already opened to $54.2M debut last weekend in China and that country is expected to clock just over $100M by Sunday. The rest of his rollout begins tomorrow offshore in all markets save Italy and Japan which will go in August. For new markets, the film is lining up in the $160M-$170M range, with potential upside taking it higher (add in China, and that range is at $260M-$270M). In order to notch a global July opening record, Lion King would need to surpass Deathly Hallows 2's $483.2M.

A $450M start for The Lion King isn't out of the realm of possibility when you consider that Sony's 10-day global on Spider-Man: Far From Home, which also led with China first, racked up $580M over that time frame worldwide. Such a global opening would also be the best start ever for a Disney remake of one of its vault toons, beating Beauty and the Beast's $357M worldwide opening.
oh hey what is this, numbers in a box office thread? unpossible.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Alright guys, let's change the subject.

What 2020 movie are you most looking forward to?

I am most looking forward to F&F 9.

The Eternals
Black Widow
Dune
Tenet
Birds of Prey
WW84

I don't know, but I'm still kinda cold with everything else but Dune and the MCU films. I need to see some trailers to get hyped, maybe we'll get something this weekend.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
2020:

Dune
Wonder Woman 1984
In the Heights
Bill and Ted Face the Music
Bond 25 with reservations (burned twice in a row now)

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
My prediction being "on point" was in reference to the estimates which is indeed what I estimated then the actuals came out and shocked everyone which is the reason why we had that "fudging" discussion for a bit. Me estimating, along with what a lot of us do here in this very thread, is just what we do. Now, I NEVER said I've been correct all of the time, I've actually in fact have said that I have been wrong in the past but I can count that with one hand.

I've been doing these BO predictions for 1 year and thus far have seem to be very good with my estimates unlike someone who claims to have 20 years of BO experience who makes outlandish claims backed by opinions.

Try harder.

So your "on point" predictions were for... the estimates? lol ok

If not, where was your follow up post saying "Oops guys, I was way off this weekend"?

I just find it funny and ironic that you go after ZattMurdock for his Endgame predictions when your own Endgame predictions have been universally wrong.

This is probably the part where you tell everyone that you've seen Endgame three times to prove that you don't hate Endgame.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So your "on point" predictions were for... the estimates? lol ok

If not, where was your follow up post saying "Oops guys, I was way off this weekend"?

I just find it funny and ironic that you go after ZattMurdock for his Endgame predictions when your own Endgame predictions have been universally wrong.

This is probably the part where you tell everyone that you've seen Endgame three times to prove that you don't hate Endgame.

My estimates aligned with the estimates, that is what I said. No one was expecting EG to do as well as it did this last weekend.

I don't need to follow up every estimate with a "oops I was wrong" if I was wrong, people can clearly see what others post. But to entertain you, I estimated sub $1m internationally and the estimates for that came in at $1.1m (actuals aren't out yet) and I said I was wrong for that.

My EG predictions have been UNIVERSALLY WRONG. Interesting.

As far as me seeing EG 3 times, would you like my AMC apps history? I can provide those for you, along with Captain Marvel. I saw that 3 times as well. I also saw US 2 times, Aquaman 2 times, Bumblebee 2 times to name a few. I watch movies I like with different groups of friends, not to hard to believe right?

But please point to my universally or equally wrong predictions while I also double/tripled downed on them.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think anyone on the internet can rightfully claim that they called right on Endgame all the way through. If they do then they are straight up lying. Even the so called box office experts on other forums and film enthusiasts who do this as their actual job. I have never seen the collective internet be so consistently wrong before overall when it comes to box office performance.... except when Avatar was releasing.

I appreciate the long term bet that PhoncipleBone made about Endgame vs Avatar. At least there were stakes in that prediction and many people got involved ie. putting their money where their mouth is (well sort of, not actual money but the point remains). I didn't bet in it because I wasn't confident either way to be honest, when it was put up I would have bet in favor of Avatar because I too like most people had pegged Endgame doing around 2.5 billion. But I certainly would not have come in and added myself to the bet after it had that monster opening weekend, it wasn't really fair and I certainly would not have added myself after the re-release. I am fine observing this phenomenon from a distance, counting down the days until the big record is broken. Some people say they can't wait for this to be over but this is a historical moment so let's try to live in the moment more. No need to quibble over exact numbers/predictions with each other, every one gets some stuff wrong and right (though let's not gloat about it either).

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
If I'd have bet when the thread went up, it would have been Avatar all the way. i didn't think Endgame would necessarily beat Titanic let alone get to Avatar's neighborhood. I dislike Titanic and am "meh" on Avatar outside of the visuals, but I can't deny they they are both legitimate phenomenons. Endgame passing Avatar is impressive be it doesn't really change what Avatar did.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
You guys think they could squeeze in Namor for Black Panther 2? There was an Easter Egg of him in Endgame. Seems like an interesting angle they could take for the sequel where it's king of Wakanda against king of Atlantis.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
You guys think they could squeeze in Namor for Black Panther 2? There was an Easter Egg of him in Endgame. Seems like an interesting angle they could take for the sequel where it's king of Wakanda against king of Atlantis.
For sure. Actually this is my hope, that Namor is the antagonist in BP2.

Kraven is also in a weird position, as there's three directors/producers (Ryan Coogler, Jon Watts and Avi Arad) who apparently want to use Kraven for their own movies.

Oct 27, 2017
For sure. Actually this is my hope, that Namor is the antagonist in BP2.

Kraven is also in a weird position, as there's three directors/producers (Ryan Coogler, Jon Watts and Avi Arad) who apparently want to use Kraven for their own movies.

Personally, I see Kraven as a Spidey villain first and foremost, but I imagine Coogler would probably do a better job at bringing him to life.

Status
Not open for further replies.