• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

freetacos

Oct 30, 2017
Bay Area, CA
idViMNBXI2.jpeg

Been wanting to make a WNBA OT for a few years now, and I'm assuming (hoping) interest will finally be here this season for some good WNBA discussion!

Season schedule: WNBA Schedule - 2024 Season - ESPN [preseason starts May 3, regular season starts May 14]

League Pass is only $35 for the whole year: Watch WNBA Games Live & On Demand - WNBA League Pass

So many great storylines for each team this season:

Indiana Fever
1200px-Indiana_Fever_logo.svg.png

Obviously the biggest story of the season - Caitlin Clark, her stardom transferring over to the WNBA. Her getting to play with a legit star big in Aliyah Boston will make them a formidable 1-2 punch IMO, they'll both be able to make life easier for the other.

Las Vegas Aces
1200px-New_Las_Vegas_Aces_WNBA_logo_2024.svg.png

Back to back champions for the first time in over 20 years. They made their 2nd finals run with aging superstar Candace Parker injured, and their core of Wilson, Young, Plum, and Gray is only getting better. They should be clear favorites coming into the season

New York Liberty
800px-New_York_Liberty_logo.svg.png

The superteam almost got it done last year. With another season to gel, Ionescu, Stewart, Jones and Vandersloot will look to finally get over the hump and bring the Liberty their first championship.

Connecticut Sun
1200px-Connecticut_Sun_logo.svg.png

Scrappy playoff team led by triple-double threat Alyssa Thomas and all star vet DeWanna Bonner. They have been deep in the playoffs recently, but haven't won.

Dallas Wings
1200px-Dallas_Wings_logo.svg.png

Rising allstars Arike Ogunbawale and Satou Sabally joined by their first round pick Jacy Sheldon to hopefully make deeper playoff pushes. They've been first/second round fodder the past few years.

Atlanta Dream
1280px-Atlanta_Dream_logo.svg.png

Middling team with some good pieces in Rhyne Howard, Tina Charles, Cheyenne Parker. They are lacking real star power to be a true contender.

Minnesota Lynx
1200px-Minnesota_Lynx_logo.svg.png

Napheesa Collier had a breakout season last year. The Lynx hope to build on that and claw their way up the standings.

Washington Mystics
1200px-Washington_Mystics_logo.svg.png

Star Elena Delle Donne is sitting out this season to think about her future of playing basketball. They also lost Natasha Cloud this offseason. Rookie Aaliyah Edwards may take on a more prominent role here.

Chicago Sky
1200px-Chicago_Sky_logo.svg.png

Twin tower rookies Kamilla Cardoso and Angel Reese bring star power to a Sky team that lost Candace Parker and finals MVP Kahleah Copper in back-to-back offseasons.

Los Angeles Sparks
1200px-Los_Angeles_Sparks_logo.svg.png

Rookies Cameron Brink and Rickea Jackson hope to turn around a flailing Sparks team that lost 12 year veteran Nneka Ogwumike this offseason and been towards the bottom of the standings for the past handful of years.

Seattle Storm
1200px-Seattle_Storm_%282021%29_logo.svg.png

Adding Nneka Ogwumike and Skylar Diggins-Smith to play alongside Gold Mamba Jewel Lloyd will give the Storm a ton of firepower this season and hopefully bring them back up to a playoff team.

Phoenix Mercury
1200px-Phoenix_Mercury_logo.svg.png

A team that just doesn't quite fit together, with Taurasi on her last legs. Kahleah Copper will give the team some much needed scoring and discipline

thanks to mreddie for the thread title idea

Last edited:

Fall Damage

Oct 31, 2017
LP for the cost of a nice dinner is hard to say no to. I've never followed the league much outside of a few Mercury games but I've been sucked into the CC hype. I'm hoping there are a lot more like me out there that will bring fresh support to the league so the biggest name and #1 pick can do better than $76K. If the ticket prices for when the Fever are in town are anything to go by I would say things are looking up.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Thanks for making this OT! Going to my first WNBA game this year! It'll be the Chicago Sky vs. Los Angeles Sparks game. Hoping Cardoso and Reese get some playing time on the floor together. I was trying to go to the Sky vs Fever game also but the prices were a bit too crazy for my wallet. :(

Gonna try and see if any deals pop up closer to the game day.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Thanks for making this thread, I'll be tuning in this season

Muh Atlanta Dream gonna go all the way
to a 1st round exit!

OP
OP
freetacos

freetacos

Oct 30, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Thanks for making this OT! Going to my first WNBA game this year! It'll be the Chicago Sky vs. Los Angeles Sparks game. Hoping Cardoso and Reese get some playing time on the floor together. I was trying to go to the Sky vs Fever game also but the prices were a bit too crazy for my wallet. :(

Gonna try and see if any deals pop up closer to the game day.
That's awesome! Should be fun - both teams will have some exciting new players this year.

I'll be going to the Fever vs. Aces game in Vegas next month. I try to go to at least one WNBA event per season, more if possible (went to the WNBA all star game last year)

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Nice thread! I live in Indy and am shamelessly using the Clark hype as the kick in the pants I need to finally see a Fever game. I have tickets for a game in July.

twinturbo2

Oct 27, 2017
Jupiter, FL
Also, for all you gambiling degenerates, FanDuel has some Caitlin Clark prop bets.
ftw.usatoday.com

Caitlin Clark rookie season prop odds and picks: Will she break the WNBA 3-point record?

There are so many props for Caitlin Clark’s rookie year.
Putting down $20 each on Clark scoring 50 and breaking the WNBA single game record of 54 points looks tempting, but the only online sports book in Florida is Hard Rock and they only have odds on who the champion is at the moment.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Begun, the new dynasty of the Chicago Sky has!

OP
OP
freetacos

freetacos

Oct 30, 2017
Bay Area, CA

View: https://x.com/novy_williams/status/1780707670145823228?s=46&t=Q5I0VVVQfEArzf-lL56yug
I wasn't fast enough on the draw for the Clark jersey, I had it in the cart in my size but stupidly went back to add more stuff and it disappeared like that. Now I have to wait until July to get it.

At least Fanatics isn't completely to blame here, I guess.

that is wild. you'd think they would have expected this kind of demand but maybe they underestimated the scope of it

as someone who has never really been into buying jerseys for any sports (and instead, buys other random stuff like shirts, hats, hoodies, cups, etc) this doesn't affect me too much but sucks that some will have to wait months

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
First season for my partner and me. I'm happy to have another Chicago team to cheer, but equally as happy for her to have a professional Seattle basketball team to actually watch.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
That's awesome! Should be fun - both teams will have some exciting new players this year.

Yessirrr. Even ordered a Kamilla Cardoso jersey last night. Just hoping I got the right size.

I'll be going to the Fever vs. Aces game in Vegas next month. I try to go to at least one WNBA event per season, more if possible (went to the WNBA all star game last year)

Now that'll be a banger of a game! Last year's champs vs the new Fever team with Clark. đź‘Źđź‘Źđź‘Ź

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

View: https://x.com/novy_williams/status/1780707670145823228?s=46&t=Q5I0VVVQfEArzf-lL56yug
I wasn't fast enough on the draw for the Clark jersey, I had it in the cart in my size but stupidly went back to add more stuff and it disappeared like that. Now I have to wait until July to get it.

At least Fanatics isn't completely to blame here, I guess.

TBF, Clark was only drafted last week and the WNBA season starts in one month. It takes a while to turn around a bunch of orders like that.

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I fell off post Lynx Dynasty/Maya Moore retiring (which I now realize is 6 years ago...) with only casual tracking of the seasons, but hope to watch some more this summer

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020

She's so clueless. The reason the pay is so low is because they have never had the viewers, headlines, etc etc. Christine Brennan had a great article the other day explaining why the pay is so low, and it boils down to the fact that because most of the people now yelling for them to get paid more never paid any attention to the WNBA prior to Clark

Sir Charles

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego, CA
Thanks for making this thread! As a LP subscriber for the last couple years, it's an amazing value. Looking forward to how this new draft class affects their teams and of course how Clark is going to adjust. Moving this summer to Minneapolis, so hopefully will be able to catch a Lynx game.

Apr 27, 2020
She's so clueless. The reason the pay is so low is because they have never had the viewers, headlines, etc etc. Christine Brennan had a great article the other day explaining why the pay is so low, and it boils down to the fact that because most of the people now yelling for them to get paid more never paid any attention to the WNBA prior to Clark

Yeah, people don't realize how a lot of things are in the WNBA. IIRC, only 3 or 4 teams have their own practice facility. You have teams like the Sky having team practice at a public gym. Same with the arenas, I remember the Dream getting kicked from State Farm arena (ATL Hawks home) because both sides couldn't come to an agreement. Before that they were playing down the street at Georgia Tech, now they're sharing a GLeague arena in College Park, GA. It's very unstable.

www.espn.com

The pros and cons of all 12 WNBA teams' training facilities

WNBA teams' training facility amenities vary widely, from permanent homes to rented spaces and from recovery technology to on-site food.

OP
OP
freetacos

freetacos

Oct 30, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Thanks for the thread. I'll get LP as well if it's available via youtube tv.
Yup, it's available through YouTube TV and works great

The Dream should tank for Paige Buckets
They are adding at least 1 (probably 2) expansion teams next season. Idk how expansion drafts usually work but id assume new expansion teams would get the first pick(s)? Unsure (shamelessly hoping the expansion team in the bay area gets Paige)

I hope more games are nationally televised
I think quite a bit of games will be nationally televised this season which is good: https://www.wnba.com/news/2024-regular-season-schedule-release

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
Please spare a thought for all the poor players going against the Sky who will have to try to score against Kamilla Cardoso and Angel Reese.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Becky Hammon bout to lead the Aces to a 3-peat, gonna eventually snatch/match that record from Van Chancellor and Cheryl Reeve to become the GOAT.

Please spare a thought for all the poor players going against the Sky who will have to try to score against Kamilla Cardoso and Angel Reese.

I want to see how they match up against Griner. Going to be a fun season.

Tagovailoa

Feb 5, 2023
Got tickets for 3 Fever games.

Probably going to go to just as many if not more Sky games.

Super sad that one of the days my Aces are in the Chi I have tickets for the Rolling Stones the same night and cannot go.

Was going to go to Vegas this summer and see some Aces games at The House but I am not.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017

Atlanta Dream sell out season tickets, see record-high demand

The Dream are the second team in WNBA history to sell out their season ticket allotment.

ATLANTA - The WNBA season hasn't started yet, but the Atlanta Dream is already seeing an all-time high demand for tickets.

The team announced that it had sold out its season ticket allotment for the upcoming season and had broken its record for single-game tickets in its limited presale.

The Atlanta Dream saw the largest single day of ticket sales on Sunday, with five games already sold out in Gateway Center Arena.

The Dream is the second team in the history of the WNBA to sell out their season ticket allotment. The only other was the defending champion Las Vegas Aces.

*folds arms and smiles*

impiri

Oct 25, 2017
As a Gamecock, I can't wait to see Boston and Cardoso face off in the post.

There's drafting for need, then there's just instantly turning your most glaring weakness into a huge strength. How many times are we going to see those two just grabbing each others' rebounds until they get a shot to fall?