weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Thread by Patison under the adopt-a-user program.

Hephaestus has been my second home for the past few months and I really want to invite you in guys.

I've never been much of a podcast listener - truth be told I was super skeptical at first. When I noticed that I started spending way too much time looking through window when commuting (and 6 in the morning is not the best time to read a book) I looked into this whole podcast thing. Since then I listened to plenty of more popular ones and by sheer luck I stumbled upon Wolf 359.

And boy, was my mind completely blown.

Everything starts simple enough. You have a crew of four distinct characters (one of which is ship's AI) and you witness how they face their ridiculous problems - whether it's fight for the last tube of toothpaste or how they deal with plant monster, created by crazy scientist. It's well written, memorable and extremely funny.

After ~10 episodes, when you get to know everyone, the real story kicks in.

It's madness.

I don't want to spoil it, because one of the main pleasures of Wolf 359 is exploration of unknown, but the story does not pull any punches and if you think "no way they'll go there" - yes, they will, and you are going to cry.

If you like any of the following:

-Star Trek
-Moon
-LOST (now with all mysteries solved!)
-H.P. Lovecraft
-Arrival
-classical music
-Arrested Development
-The Expanse
-unexpected character development
-twists, turns and whatthefuckery
-outstanding production values

please, give it a try. I hope you will love it as much as I do.

I'm not keen on recommending something that's yet to be finished, but with imminent finale and current state of things, there is no way this will turn out badly.

What are you waiting for? Hop in and join me on this last, crazy ride: http://www.wolf359.fm/

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
I will officially give this a try.

And a big Thank you! for the "After ~10 episodes, when you get to know everyone, the real story kicks in." bit of info. I'm pretty sure I gave this a shot once and bounced off it pretty hard after only an episode or 2 so info like this is always welcome.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
I stumbled upon this while in the hospital a couple months ago and loved it so much I binged right up to the most recent.

...And promptly stopped loving it as I caught up. I still listen, but it's changed so much and I don't like a lot of the new characters.

Bring back Hilbert, please.

I like the little side stories they're doing far far far more than the main story, now.

-LOST (now with all mysteries solved!)
What about Eiffel's boxes that got jettisoned to save Minkowski, though? This has been bothering me for ages. Did I miss the explanation?

Oct 27, 2017
How long are each episode? I don't commute so I don't really have the time to sit and listen to really long podcasts.

Patison

Oct 27, 2017
How long are each episode? I don't commute so I don't really have the time to sit and listen to really long podcasts.

Around 30 minutes, give or take 10. Give it a try before sleep!

I stumbled upon this while in the hospital a couple months ago and loved it so much I binged right up to the most recent.

...And promptly stopped loving it as I caught up. I still listen, but it's changed so much and I don't like a lot of the new characters.

Bring back Hilbert, please.

I like the little side stories they're doing far far far more than the main story, now.

What about Eiffel's boxes that got jettisoned to save Minkowski, though? This has been bothering me for ages. Did I miss the explanation?

Haha, I forgot about that one! My guess, can't remember if they said it explicitly:

Wasn't this a device to extract Eiffel's brain, similar to the one they had for Hilbert, in case he's the last one standing? After all, he turned out to be a valuable asset for the Command

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Around 30 minutes, give or take 10. Give it a try before sleep!

Haha, I forgot about that one! My guess, can't remember if they said it explicitly:

Wasn't this a device to extract Eiffel's brain, similar to the one they had for Hilbert, in case he's the last one standing? After all, he turned out to be a valuable asset for the Command
Oh hey that's a good guess. I'll take it!

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Been meaning to get back into podcast listening and this has always been on my to-listen list, think I'll start right now. Sounds exciting!

Nov 5, 2017
I know this is somewhat bringing a thread back from the brink but wow, just finished listening to this masterpiece and only started it a few weeks ago because of this thread - thanks OP. Highly recommend that everyone gives this a go, such a ride.