• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
Scrolling OP is an experience in itself. Going from "Hehe, that's funny." to "Holy shit, he really commited to this." and finally settling on "Hervorragend."

So, yeah, hervorragend op.

(blame Word Reference for the schlecht german)

munchie64

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Played TNO recently because of the E3 trailer for this game. Really enjoyed it, bullet sponge enemies notwithstanding. This is looking like a massive improvement.

Edit: Wait... I mean

TNO gespielt vor kurzem wegen der E3-Trailer für dieses Spiel. Wirklich genossen, Kugelschwammfeinde ungeachtet. Das sieht nach einer massiven Verbesserung aus.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
Great OT. Understood everything except for the french part :D

As someone who hasn't played TNO, does it make sense to jump into this? Or should I try to get TNO first?
I've always been waiting for a good deal on the US PSN store for TNO but if there was one I missed it.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
MGgX9Hb.gif

Can wait to kill some Nazi's.

WadiumArcadium

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Great OT. Understood everything except for the french part :D

As someone who hasn't played TNO, does it make sense to jump into this? Or should I try to get TNO first?
I've always been waiting for a good deal on the US PSN store for TNO but if there was one I missed it.

I'd definitely recommend playing TNO first. Many of the same characters are in the sequel and you get surprisingly attached to them.

Plus it still plays really well. I just went through it again last week.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
I got my key from CD Keys but after redeeming it in Steam it says "German Edition"... Am I missing something or is this gonna be censored to hell and back?

DukeBobby

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah most of the time when you hear short play times spreading across the internet before reviews are out it's usually BS. Besides simply lying, there's too many possible factors to consider. What difficulty was it? Did they speed run it and skip exploring at all? I've seen this happen enough times that I try to ignore it now.

Yeah, I remember when some people were saying that Dishonored was only 4 hours long, which turned out to be bullshit.

Oct 25, 2017
Who do people and reviewers hate so much on short games?

I don't hate short games. Titanfall 2 is a very lean 6 hour campaign that doesn't waste a single minute. Wolfenstein TNO was a really long and meaty campaign so hearing this could potentially be shorter than the DLC is a bit disheartening especially since I've been anticipating this for such a long time.

Alexalder

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
I guess people don't think spending 60$ for a 5-6h experience is worth it? Just a guess ofc.
I know but i feel a game review shouldn't really focus on the price, even more reflect it in the score. What happens a few months later when it's half the price? People will still read the same review.
Also as we can see a short single player game is usually half price already on release on any key store

WadiumArcadium

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I don't hate short games. Titanfall 2 is a very lean 6 hour campaign that doesn't waste a single minute. Wolfenstein TNO was a really long and meaty campaign so hearing this could potentially be shorter than the DLC is a bit disheartening especially since I've been anticipating this for such a long time.

Yep, exactly. I don't mind a shorter campaign, but TNO felt pretty substantial with the hub and quite a few supporting characters, so a single player half its length would have been disappointing.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Updated the OT to fix the French part and a spelling error. Adding a link to a Google Doc with English translations.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1U333aJZ8ZO0ktRMKIA1ByXwEr1ZezKkNSZwEyfBAevA/edit?usp=sharing

Absolutely amazing OT! Thanks for the effort you put in.

BTW, i hope Austrians / Germans are aware that there doesn't seem to be a way to get the english / uncensored version of this on or into steam.
I don't know about console versions though, any info on that?
(i searched this thread for "Austria" - no mentions, so...)

DukeBobby

Oct 25, 2017
There are partial walkthroughs up on Youtube of the first five chapters which are around 4 hours long.

The only way I could see it being 5-6 hours is if the game only has 6-8 chapters, which wouldn't make much sense, seeing as the first game had 16.

Also, bear in mind that Youtubers tend not to explore and look for collectables.

ramyeon

Oct 25, 2017
Finished TNO tonight, bought it on the PSN sale in anticipation of this. I really enjoyed it, although it felt really punishing at times. Hated any section that required precise movement because the walk/run was ridiculously hard to control.

Everything I've seen from TNC so far looks even better so I'm definitely hyped.

JD_Method

Oct 25, 2017
I got my key from CD Keys but after redeeming it in Steam it says "German Edition"... Am I missing something or is this gonna be censored to hell and back?

It's most likely censored. A few people have commented on their Facebook page saying they received the German version, even though the product page for it makes no mention of it being the German/censored version.

sprinkles

Oct 25, 2017

BTW, i hope Austrians / Germans are aware that there doesn't seem to be a way to get the english / uncensored version of this on or into steam.
I am currently preloading the game using a (paid) Dutch VPN IP. I am planning on staying on this VPN through the weekend until I finish the game. There is no other way for Germans to play the uncut version (at least for the next 3 months).

Austrians seem to only have access to the cut German version on the Steam store as well. But they should be able to activate keys for the worldwide version just fine without a VPN.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I am currently preloading the game using a (paid) Dutch VPN IP. I am planning on staying on this VPN through the weekend until I finish the game. There is no other way for Germans to play the uncut version (at least for the next 3 months).

Austrians seem to only have access to the cut German version on the Steam store as well. But they should be able to activate keys for the worldwide version just fine without a VPN.

http://derstandard.at/2000066630398/Wolfenstein-2-PC-Version-mit-happigen-Systemvoraussetzungen

Aufgrund des in Deutschland und Österreich gültigen Verbotsgesetzes wurden zahlreiche Symbole und andere Inhalte in der regionalen Fassung des Shooters ersetzt. Wer die englischsprachige Fassung importiert, wird diese laut Bethesda in Deutschland und Österreich per Steam nicht aktivieren können. (red, 24.10.2017) - derstandard.at/2000066630398/Wolfenstein-2-PC-Version-mit-happigen-Systemvoraussetzungen

"Those who import the english version, will not be able to activate it on Steam in Austria and Germany, according to Bethesda."

Bless region free consoles. I'll import the UK version some time in November.

mantis

Oct 25, 2017

Austrian here. This was not a problem for me with TNO and TNB. Could buy the international version from other stores and activate/play them on steam.

Activated the key from CDKeys earlier and my game list links to the international version of the game. (does not let me access it though) http://store.steampowered.com/app/612880/

May be a bigger hassle for Germans.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Oh really? I thought I saw footage of button prompts for picking up ammo in a video the other day. Maybe it's optional now.

The preview I read said this:

but the best part is that now, finally, ammo and armour can be picked up automatically. No longer will you have to run around constantly looking down and hammering a button to collect every scrap and bullet. The only time I had to manually pick up either was when it would overcharge BJ

Mathi

Oct 25, 2017
"Those who import the english version, will not be able to activate it on Steam in Austria and Germany, according to Bethesda."

Bless region free consoles. I'll import the UK version some time in November.
Same here, I would like to play this on steam but I can't be bothered with VPN stuff. Just bought the PS4 version on amazon.com, thankfully there is enough else to play until it gets here.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Austrian here. This was not a problem for me with TNO and TNB. Could buy the international version from other stores and activate/play them on steam.

Activated the key from CDKeys earlier and my game list links to the international version of the game. (does not let me access it though) http://store.steampowered.com/app/612880/

May be a bigger hassle for Germans.
for the first game, the region lock was removed after release, iirc

http://derstandard.at/2000001504549/Ein-Sieg-der-Community-Region-Lock-von-Wolfenstein-The-New

i'd love to be wrong on this, but word on the street is that you need a VPN to unlock / activate / play The New Colossus uncut in Austria.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
for the first game, the region lock was removed after release, iirc

http://derstandard.at/2000001504549/Ein-Sieg-der-Community-Region-Lock-von-Wolfenstein-The-New

i'd love to be wrong on this, but word on the street is that you need a VPN to unlock / activate / play The New Colossus uncut in Austria.

You do. It's region-locked at both the activation and runtime levels. Your options are:

- Finish the game while connected to a VPN
- Connect to a VPN and switch to Offline Mode, at which point you can disconnect as Steam won't pick up on the IP change
- Create a steam_appid.txt file in the directory of the executable and input a different app ID to trick Steam into thinking you're playing something else (but this breaks Steamworks integration and won't work if the executable doesn't use CEG/Steam DRM)
- Wait three months following activation for the runtime restriction to expire

Edit: Oh, sorry, I misread your post. Austria isn't blacklisted. Just Germany.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Edit: Oh, sorry, I misread your post. Austria isn't blacklisted. Just Germany.

Got any reputable source on that?
Most recent reporting by several outlets said that - as opposed to the first game, where Austria got un-blacklisted post-release, it's back to being blacklisted this time around.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Got any reputable source on that?
Most recent reporting by several outlets said that - as opposed to the first game, where Austria got un-blacklisted post-release, it's back to being blacklisted this time around.

https://steamdb.info/sub/183034/info/

Edit: Err, that's supposed to take you to the Info tab, obviously. All of the game's public subs are set up to exclude Germany and only Germany.

allansm

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't get my key from cdkeys yet, hopefully they sort out this german edition thing before sending me a key.