• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
It was stealth-announced with DOOM in the September 2017 Nintendo Direct and elicited lots of "Holy SH*T!" reactions, but it came out this week with nary a ripple. So to rectify that, let's give Panic Button's port of MachineGames latest shooter its own review thread.

Metacritic - 81

Polygon
The draw of the Switch version, for most, is going to be the ability to play on the go. And it was thrilling to sit in bed late at night, the thudding gunfire ringing in my headphones. This isn't just a version of the game that works, it's a version of the game that's enjoyable to play on its own merits.

Destructoid
Wolfenstein II is a lot like Doom in that some quality is sacrificed in order to get it running on the system, especially in portable mode, but it more than gets the job done. I know some of you might be thinking that a bare minimum port shouldn't be celebrated, but it's way more than that.

The Verge
Switch ports are never going to look as great as games on other platforms, but for many players that won't matter; the ability to play a huge game wherever you want is a powerful draw. For me, as great as Wolfenstein II looks on my big screen TV, it's a lot more fun shooting Nazis from the comfort of my bed.

TechRadar - Verdict: Play It Now
Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus is an incredible ride while it lasts, and proof positive that Nintendo's hybrid console is more than capable of hosting faithful ports of big-name third-party releases – even if some of the visual spectacle has to be dialed back in the process.

The concessions made by developer Panic Button make sense in the grand scheme of things, and being able to blast away Nazis in portable mode is something of a game-changer – even if you've already experienced this adventure on PS4 or Xbox One.

Switch Brasil - 90
Wolfenstein II The New Colossus com certeza é um dos melhores jogos FPS disponíveis na atualidade, com belíssimos gráficos, ambientes e história muito bem ambientados sem exageros e com o máximo de aproveitamento e experiência que um jogo desse calibre pode proporcionar para donos do Nintendo Switch. é a recomendação certa para fãs de tiroteios.
Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus for sure is one of the best FPS games available today, with beautiful graphics, environments, deep history without exaggerated appeal and with maximum enjoyment with experience that this kind of game can provide to the owners of Nintendo Switch. For sure, is a high-recommendation for fans of shooting games.

IGN - 8.5
Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus for Nintendo Switch is a respectable port of one of the best games released last year, and greatest shooters of this generation. Its brilliantly written cast of characters and excellent gunplay come through well enough even viewed through muddy textures and minor frame rate drops. It's not the prettiest or smoothest way to experience Wolfenstein 2, but it gets the job done.

Nintendo Enthusiast - 8.5
Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus for Nintendo Switch packs the same brilliant punch as it did on other platforms. Blasting your way through Nazis and experiencing a fantastic story with some of the most wonderfully-written characters is an impressive and memorable experience. While portable mode let me down, playing docked is at a standard that allows an enjoyable time.

Gamespot - 8
The New Colossus runs impressively well in docked mode, especially considering the Switch's capabilities compared to other platforms. The game's beautifully directed, pre-rendered cutscenes maintain their quality here, and the frame rate is generally consistent even when combat is at its most frenetic. There are some muddier textures to contend with, but the resistance fighters get the worst of it... As long as you can overlook some lower-quality visuals, the story and gameplay make The New Colossus well worth it.

Nintendo World Report - 8
Wolfenstein II is a deep and varied shooter. Its story, with few exceptions, is excellently written and performed... The Switch is clearly pushed to the breaking point by some of the more intense moments, but it manages to pull through with only a few, albeit substantial issues. Wolfenstein II is another strong addition to Bethesda's growing Switch library and another praiseworthy effort from Panic Button.

Last edited:

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Seems very positive with reviews praising the Switch version despite the downgrade. Will probably buy it when I'll have the time to play it.

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
Switch version is clearly a downgrade but Panic Button pulling that out with 7W of power is really impressive. In comparison, PS4 uses 90W in menu and 110W-120W during gameplay.

Mysterio79

Oct 25, 2017
It's likely the best console to portable AAA port of all time, technically speaking.

Even relative to the time of it's release.

Glad to see the media enjoying the game, down over at the DF thread they are hell bent on acting like the port should have identical performance as consoles 50x the size.

3199076-img_8820.jpg

Last edited:

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
It's very, very impressive. I hated this game when I bought it at launch (frustrating difficulty/stealth not really an option), but it's not a "bad" game if you play it guns blazing.

OP
OP
Slam Tilt

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
How many more time travelers do we have on this site?
p-od.gif

(Hey, it's my first Review Thread, be gentle. ;-)
It's very, very impressive. I hated this game when I bought it at launch (frustrating difficulty/stealth not really an option), but it's not a "bad" game if you play it guns blazing.
I hear a later patch toned down the difficulty and made it easier to determine where enemy fire is coming from, but I have no idea if that is included in the Switch release.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
As someone without a dog in this race (I don't own a Switch or have any interest in Wolfenstein) I find this and the DOOM port fascinating from a technical perspective. Panic Button's pulling off miracles with the system.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Hearing darkx say the Switch version is less frustrating than the other versions has me way curious

I'd like to wait for a price drop, but Doom is still 60 bucks so that won't be happening anytime soon

Deleted member 4532

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice. I didn't get the PS4 version last year because I wanted to play this on Switch. Will pick this up and another SD card one of these days!

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Yeah, giving this one a chance. Saw a Dutch store offering it for € 49, but seeing the PS4/Xbox versions for like 25 makes me cautious.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Good reviews so far. I hope it's a success for both Bethesda and especially Panic Button.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Seeing that Metacritic score, I went back and checked how the other platforms fared. I'm surprised it rated so well.

I have to get to the good parts, because the early part of the game is blah.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
It's a good game. Shooting feels good, even if level and encounter designs often leave a lot to be desired. The narrative will keep you pushing through it. Good to hear it's a good port.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing all these opinions from people who've actually played and beat the game in comparison to the ones complaining in that DF thread is just hilarious.

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Does this port have Splatoon-style motion aiming or is it strictly dual analogue? If the former, does anybody have any feedback on how it compares? I would love to try this on Switch, but 300+ hours of Splatoon 2 has made dual analogue shooters unplayable for me.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Does this port have Splatoon-style motion aiming or is it strictly dual analogue? If the former, does anybody have any feedback on how it compares? I would love to try this on Switch, but 300+ hours of Splatoon 2 has made dual analogue shooters unplayable for me.
It has Gyro.

If it's anything like DOOM, then you have full control of the right analogue on both axis in addition to Gyro, as opposed to Splatoon which locks you out of vertical right analogue movement.

Mysterio79

Oct 25, 2017
Oh snap. I'll probably grab this then, just to have it and support the effort. Love gyro aiming. I couldn't get past 2 hours of the first one though, I know it's good but it didn't grab me.

Is 2 a different experience?
Gyro makes the gunplay a lot more fun.... plus I find I'm a lot more engrossed with the story and the handheld aspect. Maybe that's just me, but I find I stick with games in general more playing undocked and am beating a lot more games I would probably cast aside if I had to play them on the tv. Like I love the first Wolf but I had trouble sticking with it until the end.

Mysterio79

Oct 25, 2017
Oh god, bed play and this game

I remember when I was a kid playing primitive 2D NES infront of my tv

If my kid self saw this vision of the future he would freak

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan

moeman

Oct 25, 2017
How is the replay value of this game compared to something like DOOM? I like that DOOM had the unlockable classic levels, arcade mode, and a few other things to keep replay. Is this just the main story?

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
How is the replay value of this game compared to something like DOOM? I like that DOOM had the unlockable classic levels, arcade mode, and a few other things to keep replay. Is this just the main story?

Main story. Although there is some replayability depending on a decision you made in TNO. There is also a decision that you make midgame what ch changes gameplay a bit, offering some variety. I actually did not enjoy the game enough to back and play the other timeline.

Prevolition

Oct 27, 2017
Solid. I can't wait to finish The New Order and get started on this. I can't stand the controls on Xbox for this game (and Doom), so gyro is a Godsend.

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
I'm currently hunting Oberkommandos (after finsihing the main game) and someone please help me because I think I'm going nuts.
Either I fried some graphic component of my switch (HIGHLY unlikely) or this certain part of the game is just totally bugged or/and needs badly an update (on switch?).

The "Oberkommandos hunting" missions take place in slightly changed (day instead night, changed level objects etc etc) levels you already visited in the main game.
Now things went fine and everything ran rather smoothly till I entered "Lakeview District" in New Orleans (note that this happens ONLY in the Oberkommando missions).

I noticed instandly that something odd happened with my movement. The way I walked/ran straight ahead was different. like the game is skipping tons of frames. the strange thing is that it only happens when you walk a straight line. i.e. turning 360° is smooth as ever and there isn't even more slowdown as usual.
It makes me literally sick (nauseous). It's like constantly watching a badly animated stop motion movie.

can please anyone check if its also happens on other switches?

My guess is that the oberkommando new orleans missions seem to rely heavily on volumetric lightning and this is what brings the switch to its knees (see BotW forest). its just so weird that it only happens when you move forward.