• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Today in Brazil news

bank-branch-bangu-west-zone-80213372.jpg

In a mind-boggling scene straight out of "A Weekend at Bernie's," a Brazilian woman reportedly wheeled the corpse of an elderly man into a Rio de Janeiro bank Tuesday to try to get him to co-sign on a loan.

The bank customer, identified as Erika de Souza Vieira Nunes, was captured on video standing next to the deceased seated in a chair and seemingly holding up his drooping head.
"Uncle, are you listening? You need to sign [the loan contract]. If you don't sign, there's no way, because I can't sign for you," Nunes says in the video, while thrusting a pen between his limp fingers and instructing him to hold it "hard."
When a bank worker tries to point out that the man's color looks off and he appears "not well," Nunes dismisses his concerns.

"He is like that. He doesn't say anything," Nunes says. "Uncle, do you want to go to the [hospital] again?"

Unnerved bank staffers quickly called the police, who arrived and arrested Nunes.

It was later determined that the decedent, identified as 68-year-old Paulo Roberto Braga, had been dead for several hours prior to his trip to the bank.

"She tried to pretend to get him to sign the loan. He already entered the bank dead," Police Chief Fábio Luiz told TV Globo. "The main thing is to continue the investigation to identify other family members, and find out more about this loan."

nypost.com

Brazilian woman brazenly wheels elderly man’s corpse into bank to co-sign a loan for her: ‘Uncle, are you listening?’

In a mind-boggling scene straight out of “A Weekend at Bernie’s,” a Brazilian woman reportedly wheeled the corpse of an elderly man into a Rio de Janeiro bank Tuesday to try to ge…

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
Whether she legit tried to do this or if this is some kind of troll, we're all getting so, so, so dumb...

Spaggy

Oct 26, 2017
So, like… was she planning this or the idea just sprang up when the opportunity arose?

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
He'd only been dead for hours and I'm assuming the loan would take longer to put together. I'm assuming this was going to be attempted as he was dying and "unfortunately" for her he died just hours before.

That's what I'm kind of expecting. I can imagine a scenario where she kind of loses her shit because she realizes that her plan is going to fail and she does this while not in a great state of mind.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
I feel like she might not have considered that bank staff wouldn't be cool with her holding his hand as he signs. I too if the fact that he's dead and it's pretty easy to tell.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
I thought that said wears and was really confused. Still fucked up, obviously.

Oct 26, 2017
Ya'll have my permission to do this with me, but for god's sake slap some makeup on me and a hat at minimum. I wanna look good.

deathkiller

Apr 11, 2018
In Spain a group of cops got caught pretending to work overtime protecting a victim of domestic violence that was already dead (natural causes I think). Scams about dead people are as old as time but usually not as brazen.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
How did she think this was gonna work and somehow the corpse would sign?
If you've never seen people who are caretaker for elderly, this happens a lot and sometimes the result of elder abuse.

Even for elderly people who are alive, many of them have difficulty signing things at a certain age, and sometimes would require support from their assistance.

Which may require holding their hands and then "guiding" their signature for them.

People at the bank will usually acquiesce to it depending on how much help that person needs help.

Of course, in this situation, the worker would have had to been a complete idiot to let that happen when the person doesn't even have his eyes open or speak, or do anything to indicate they are alive.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This really makes me want to cry. Idk but to imagine somebody taking their dead family member to a bank makes my heart ache and feel sick…

And the only way I could potentially not be upset at the woman is if she was like in denial as sometimes major loss can really fuck with your brain. But if it was on purpose because he was dead and couldn't refuse…fuck her. She's worse than scum.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I saw the video randomly on Reddit I think and his head just... flopped back when she let go. He was clearly dead.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
At my work sometimes I have to take photographs for IDs for deputy Sheriff's. It's basically an honorary thing here in MA vs an actual law enforcement thing.

One day, when I go to take the ID, there's this really familiar looking guy waiting and I can't place him. I'm wondering if he used to work for us. I'm wondering if he had volunteered to help out with hurricane Katrina victims, because I spent a whole day photographing people for IDs for that.

He points at himself and goes 'Weekend at Bernies'.

I shall never forget his face again.

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
At my work sometimes I have to take photographs for IDs for deputy Sheriff's. It's basically an honorary thing here in MA vs an actual law enforcement thing.

One day, when I go to take the ID, there's this really familiar looking guy waiting and I can't place him. I'm wondering if he used to work for us. I'm wondering if he had volunteered to help out with hurricane Katrina victims, because I spent a whole day photographing people for IDs for that.

He points at himself and goes 'Weekend at Bernies'.

I shall never forget his face again.

This is amazing lol.